All Topics / Value Adding / painting versus cladding

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of ccpatccpat
    Participant
    @ccpat

We are in the process of renovating an IP in Newcastle an old fibro which is a bit rough on the outside and needs a lot of prep before painting. We have renovated a couple of houses previously and are aware of the work involved in prep and painting and are considering cladding. We have had a quote which came in at $13000.
    It is a fair bit of money considering if we painted we would do it ourselves.
    Our question is will it add a considerable amount of value on the property as opposed to painting? therefore be worth it.
    We are also slightly "time poor" on this reno.
    any feedback would be appreciated

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Hi ccpat,

I'd say it depends on the market. Can you get away with just painting it? Will the market pay more than $13000 for cladding over painted fibro.

I painted a fibro and honestly it wasn't too bad. I think the trick is picking a nice colour. I got my dad to pressure wash the entire outside, then I painted the fibro.

I'd put a picture up – but it's pretty much beyond me!

Cheers

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Only consider cladding or rendering if you are going to sell. It does add value but only in certain areas. Best to get some advice from a few RE agents. If you are time poor, get them to come over and give you a quick quote. Also depends on the plans for the future, i.e. if you are looking to knock down and develop the property.

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of ccpatccpat
    Participant
    @ccpat

thanks for your feed back guys,
    the reason for wanting to know the value difference between cladding or painting is because we are looking to get a valuation done after reno  and if we get a decent valuation hopefully some instant equity that we can redraw on to buy next IP.
    We plan to keep the house and rent it out… price we paid  for property was  was 252k owe the bank 220K. . I sort of thought valuers would go painted fibro is worth X whilst cladded is worth Y

Cheers
    ccpat

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

I agree with asking a realestate agent or two for a valuation, and ask them to comment on the likely value of cladding versus painted.  Your property is a little business that must make a profit.  It's not a pet project to play with and make look pretty at a loss.  Numbers, it's about the numbers.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of moxi10moxi10
    Participant
    @moxi10

Hi ccpat

I've cladded quite a few houses myself. Cladding can conceal a world of eyesores, including rot, badly out of level walls, and other forms of deteriorisation. I would assume that valuers (and cluey purchasers)  would keep this in mind when appraising a property. The quality of workmanship in the cladding industry can vary widely between individual tradesmen. The larger cladding companies generally have a high employee turnover rate, due to paying poor wages. Therefore, they have to train and employ inexperienced tradespeople. If you do engage a large company, try to inspect the work of the specific trades personnel assigned to your project. I've actually worked for "Forever Boards" in Newcastle. They are an honest and well managed company.

Profile photo of BBKMBBKM
    Participant
    @bbkm

Hi. I am new to site and investing but an old hand in construction. To consider: If you clad you will need to paint any way, and then re paint at some stage depending on quality of first paint job. Or you can clad in a PVC product. PVC advantages are it never needs painting, you dont need to touch the fibro (could be asbestos), pressure cleans well, is insulated. Cost is around $85/m2, get 2 or 3 quotes. Disadvantage is,  looks like PVC cladding, ie a little fake, better than fibro though. Hope it helps. ps: I do not sell the stuff.

Profile photo of ccpatccpat
    Participant
    @ccpat

thanks for your suggestions guys

have rung a few RE and asked for their opinions, the consensus was it doesn't make too greater a difference value wise only about 5k to 10k although cladded seems to help on sales day

Cheers 

ccpat  

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Talking to Real Estate agents is a great idea – they are constantly selling houses in the area so they know what sells and what doesn't. Good luck!

Regards

Shahin

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

Is the fibro asbestos . You may have added costs of getting it removed if it is asbestos

Profile photo of kenckenc
    Participant
    @kenc

Does anyone know if blueboard can be fixed straight over the top of the fibre cement and then rendered over? Has anyone had this done before? I've had asbestos wall sheets removed from a back bungalow and then blueboard installed and rendered, but chose to remove the asbestos as I didn't like the idea of having any asbestos. Would cladding over add too much weight for the stud walls, as blueboards are 8mm thick I think (thicker and heavier than standard fibre cement sheets)? 

Also, has anyone had any experiences removing fibro or weatherboard and then installing styrofoam and rendering over? I guess it would be cheaper than blueboard but what are its disadvantages compared to blueboard? I imagine it would not be as solid as blueboard?

Cheers

Ken

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.