All Topics / Overseas Deals / US BANK ACCOUNT

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
  • Profile photo of Marty_boyoMarty_boyo
    Participant
    @marty_boyo

I'm going to Las Vegas in October and want to open a US bank account when over there.

What are the steps?

I'm an Australian Citizen.

Do I simply walk in off the street with my Aussie passport and open an account or do I need to speak to a ban and get the ball rolling before i arrive.

Anyone with similar experience? There seems to be a lot of confusion, so if anyone has done this in the past I would appreciate the steps to take to minimise any time wasting or red tape.

SECONDLY anyone investing in the Vegas market and if so any insights?

Thanks in advance.

Profile photo of M.InvestigatorM.Investigator
    @m.investigator

You did not mention which type of US bank account you  need. But if you are thinking of opening a business account this link might give you an overview. I hope you find this very informative.

Also, I have read from the papers that Las Vegas homes are up by 15% over the year. So looks like its promising to invest there.

https://www.myusacorporation.com/business-resources/us-bank-account-for-non-residents.html

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Why not speak with Emma from the forum as from memory she is based in LV.

She will be able to give you some pointers.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

I do not think you will be able to open a bank account in any American bank without coming to a bank branch. Or if you have any American bank branches in your city, you can just simply go there to open an account. Major American banks such as Bank of America, Chase and etc. have international locations in many countries. If you decide to open an account when you arrive to Las Vegas, you will probably need to have your Australian passport, visa and the proof of your current American address (any bill will work in this case).

Profile photo of usainvestorusainvestor
    @usainvestor

Just need your passport and maybe your drivers license. I can't remember whether I had to use my drivers license but you should have it with you anyway.

We went to this branch only because a friend had used this branch a month previously so they were aware of Australia.

Wells Fargo

3800 Howard Hughes Parkway

Las Vegas, NV 89169, United States

(702) 791-6370

Get them to also set up the online access.

You will need about $200.

They sent everything out to our Australian address.

The banking features are limited compared to Aust but mainly the direct credit ability. This is a feature that is restricted to US citizens. I was talking to them the other night and the person I was discussing this with was indicating all I needed was my ITiN. Previous help desk types did not indicate this.

Cheers

Profile photo of aussiejaussiej
    Participant
    @aussiej

I phoned Wells Fargo from Australia, I rang the number on their web site and they put me through to the branch at 791 N Nellis Blvd Las Vegas, I had already set up a Nevada LLC and had an EIN number, but they would not open a business account for me as I did not have an ITIN number, but they said I could open a personal bank account with them, and I did not have to go into the bank, did it via email & phone.  They post any mail direct to me in  Australia. They are quite a distance from the strip, the Wells Fargo at Howard Hughes Parkway Branch would be closer if you are staying on the strip.

I emailed Citibank at 495 E Silverado Ranch Blvd Las Vegas, they would open a business account for me  but I needed to visit their branch to open it, they were used to foreign people opening accounts there, as he told me  he had already had others there that week. I made an appointment with them,  I  needed Passport, Drivers License, a bill with address and phone number (an Aussie phone bill was ok)  and I took all the paperwork for my LLC .

They wanted an American mailing address for my statements to be sent to, ( I use the mail service that the people I got to open my LLC run).  This branch was quite a way from the strip too, you'd need to get a taxi.

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

You can just open an account. I have an account at Chase. However if you are going to set up an LLC and you want to put it in the name then you should speak to an account. <moderator: delete advertising>  I dont like Vegas, personally I deal in Texas and Florida and like commercial property rather than straight residential

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of Marty_boyoMarty_boyo
    Participant
    @marty_boyo

Wow, what GREAT replies. Thanks guys. Really appreciated.

One question why would you want a business account as opposed to a personal account?

Profile photo of propertybuyerusapropertybuyerusa
    @propertybuyerusa

Vegas gas some great buying, just be careful not to be sucked in to new looking condos that are along way away from renters. Think location and also make sure you double check pricing as there are a fair few cowboys in that neck of the woods.

As far as opening a business account you need to bring in the articles of incorporation for the LLC along with ID for the managing member. You should also bring proof of address as i have brought investors into Chase last month and they requested it although it was on there drivers license which proved to be acceptable. 

Nigel, You say you do commercial property in Fl. I own a bit around Boca Raton. What have you got going on there? Also i on your website you can get 70% loans on commercial property. Is that in Florida and for foreign nationals if so i would be very interested in hearing about it as I have a fair few investors that have bought and would buy again if that is the case.

Profile photo of FacilitatorFacilitator
    @facilitator

Why open a US bank account if you don't need one ?

If you have a Us agent buying property for you just do what we do for our clients. Rent from US tenants comes into our escrow account and is then wire transferred to their Australian and other non-Us bank accounts at no charge every month….easy.

I dont know why everyone recommends opening a US account, unless they are just not wanting the extra hassle ?

If you want to hold USD for some reason at nil interest rates then you can let funds sit in the escrow sub-account in your name but like i said its nil interest or close to so…why ? Plus there are USD accounts available …

Profile photo of Marty_boyoMarty_boyo
    Participant
    @marty_boyo

Hi All,

OK so my plan is to go to INCPARADISE in Vegas (http://www.incparadise.net), open an LLC.

Then go to Citibank at 495 E Silverado Ranch Blvd Las Vegas and open a Business Bank account.

INCPARADISE have a mail forwarding facility with US Street address http://www.incparadise.net/text/mail-forwarding.htm.

Anything I'm missing here?

Any docs I should take.

Thanks

Marty

Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen

I loved the PayPal idea. If you can get your PM to use it, you've landed a good one I think. Wish we could get Japanese PMs to do the same- not very foreigner friendly there (at least not where the better deals are).

Ziv Nakajima-Magen | Nippon Tradings International (NTI)
    http://www.nippontradings.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Profile photo of biggaz13biggaz13
    Participant
    @biggaz13

Just received information this morning that Wells Fargo are closing all of its bank accounts to those people living outside of the USA.

Something about a loss prevention strategy. In fact many accounts have already been closed.

Personally I think the information is bogus.

Googling has revealed nothing.

Has anyone else heard about this?????

Cheers

Gary

Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen

Any more news about that one? Hoax or not?

Ziv Nakajima-Magen | Nippon Tradings International (NTI)
    http://www.nippontradings.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Profile photo of biggaz13biggaz13
    Participant
    @biggaz13

Turns out some Australian investors who had their bank account setup with Wachovia then migrated over to Wells Fargo are now having issues.

Long story short.

Some international accounts have been made "dormant" as the account holder had not been to an ATM machine or used a cheque in the US despite regular deposits. Now there is some exercise in bringing these accounts back to life.

Someone interpreted this as Wells Fargo closing international account holders down.

Incorrect.

More a misunderstanding than a hoax.

Jayman
    Participant
    @jayman

That's right, certainly their not closing down accounts held by Aussies, as I'm opening accounts with Wells Fargo all the time, and have just opened another one for a client buying through his LLc / Trust, and had some unusual requests for the bank account, that they normally don't do, but it was all done and has now been opened.

I think going back to the MYUSAPROPERTY days, many accounts were opened at the Kissimmee Wells Fargo Branch, but when the contact their left, which can happen at any bank, or branch,  it caused many problems, as only a few people in some of the banks / branches understand and can open accounts for overseas investors.

Most still refer to the Patriot Act, and seem to think Australia is just over the road, so they ask for the buyer to come in to their branch to sign and open the account, and seem quite perplexed when told Australia is on the other side of the world.

But, opening accounts at  Wells Fargo is not a huge issue, if you have the right contacts, etc.

Participant
    @nigel-kibel

Jeff

The US government is currently closing down accounts that are not registered correctly. The Patriot Act states that accounts must be opened by the account holder to avoid terrorists from sending funds through to the United States. The fact that you can open accounts does not make it legal. I would suggest anyone who is planning on buying in the states should travel there and meet the suppliers themselves. 

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of ArchnicArchnic
    Participant
    @archnic

For anyone still following this thread, I just rang Wells Fargo (www.wellsfargo.com) who will open bank accounts for foreign nationals over the phone. You don’t need an American place of residence and you don’t even need an ITIN (though you won’t be able to get interest on your money if you don’t). They can be contacted by calling +1 800 869 3357. Their phone lines are open 24/7.

Participant
    @nigel-kibel

They may be offering it but they are breaking there own laws

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of The AustralianThe Australian
    @the-australian

I was told you can't open a US bank account without SSN.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.