All Topics / General Property / Cheaper to buy then rent.

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of insanoinsano
    Participant
    @insano

Saw this article on the news and just thought it might be handy for those that didn't catch it…

http://www.myrp.com.au/buyorrent

Despite the rising number of renters across the country, it's more affordable to buy in 238 postcodes, based on a principal and interest loan with a variable mortgage rate.

Using an interest only loan, the list expands to 1320 suburbs and towns.

Experts say escalating rents, falling house prices and recent rate cuts have contributed to more favourable conditions for paying off a home loan than paying a landlord.

RP Data’s annual Buy versus Rent report shows that Queensland has the most places where it’s more affordable to buy; Brisbane has 16 suburbs while in the regional areas of the state there are 68 towns.

Buying vs. renting: See the full list of suburbs here

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

Related Coverage

Where it's cheaper to buy than rent

Cheaper to get off rental treadmill

Best time to buy in years

Buying no-brainer when rent this high

Where buying is cheaper than renting

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

New South Wales has 54 suburbs; 22 are in Sydney, while the remaining 32 are in the regional parts of the state.

Victoria has just 10 areas where a property is now cheaper to buy than rent, with two suburbs in Melbourne and eight in regional belts.

One of Australia’s most affordable housing markets, Adelaide, has 20 suburbs where buying is currently cheaper than renting, while there are three regional South Australian towns that qualify.

Hobart has 12, compared to 13 in regional Tasmania, and Canberra has just one suburb where it’s cheaper to buy.

Western Australia has 35; three in Perth with the remaining 32 largely in the state’s resource-driven areas.

In the Northern Territory, Darwin has no suburbs where it’s cheaper to buy, while there are six in regional areas of the Territory.

Tim Lawless RP Data research director said house price and interest rate falls had contributed to making home ownership more affordable than renting in many areas.

“Nationally, capital city home values have fallen by 5.9 per cent from the October 2010 peak. These conditions, in conjunction with discounted variable mortgage rates falling by around 100 basis points since October last year, have resulted in improved housing affordability,” Mr Lawless said.

“With lower mortgage rates, tight rental markets resulting in some rental increases, and lower home values, many buyers may see now it as a good time to either re-enter the market or buy their first home.”

The RP Data research is based on costs involved in servicing a mortgage on median house and unit values compared with median asking rents across each suburb and town across the country.

Top suburbs for buying over renting

SYDNEY

Warwick Farm

Campbelltown

Rushcutters Bay

Mount Druitt

Ambarvale

MELBOURNE

Carlton

Dallas

BRISBANE

Bundamba

Boronia Heights

Bellbird Park

Brisbane CBD

Woodridge

ADELAIDE

Gilles Plain

Elizabeth Downs

Elizabeth East

Davoren Park

Munno Park

PERTH

Mount Hawthorn

Burswood

Perth CBD

HOBART

Herdsman Cove

Risdon Vale

Gagebrook

Chigwell

Bridgewater

CANBERRA

Hackett

NORTHERN TERRITORY (REGIONAL)

Alice Springs

Braitling

The Gap

Sadadeen

Desert Springs

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

It's an interesting article. I remember CBA putting out a similar report a few years back.

Interesting to see that only one Canberra suburb made the cut – and it's not a cheap suburb to buy into.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Be interesting to see the whole equation. Does the debate consider all ongoing property costs such as rates, insurance, repairs, etc all of which are borne by the land owner?

The other point seemingly overlooked is that interest rates are very low at the moment – what happens when rates increase by 0.5% – how many suburbs fall off the report on that basis?

For some of those suburbs it could well be an 'at this point in time' argument.

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon

I have been following this as well and would say at the very least it is pointing to higher yielding suburbs, some under your nose I found.

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

I also doubt the opportunity cost of owning is factored in either. 

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

very interesting, Rushcutters bay!

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.