All Topics / General Property / Insurance claim

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of fingerscrossedfingerscrossed
    Participant
    @fingerscrossed

Hi all

I was just wondering what you out there as investors would do about this one.

My tenant has reversed her car in my roller door from the inside.  The damage has been estimated at $1,200.00.  She has asked me if I would claim this on my Insurance and she would reimburse me the excess.

I am happy to this if it does have any ongoing ramifications for me like an increase in my premium.

I have emailed my Insurance Company and it seems i am covered for the door but she wouldn't give me a straight answer regarding any increase due to the claim.

Would you do it ?

Thanx in advance

fingerscrossed

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

When you make a claim on an insurance policy the policy may terminate at the completion of the claim. You then start afresh under new conditions. My guess is this or something like this will happen and your premium will be higher.

Ask for a post claim quote.

Failing that if your tenant has vehicle insurance she should have 3rd party/public liability as part of the policy. This sometimes applies to contents policies as well.  Get her to claim on her policy or at least get clarification.

If you go with your company they will invariably want her details anyway. If she's insured they will do nothing regarding her. Insurance companies do not as a rule claim from each other. If however she has no insurance they can pursue her personally for the damages. This is common practice in vehicle accidents.

Profile photo of M.InvestigatorM.Investigator
    @m.investigator

I also think that it's likely that your premium will get higher if you claim it on your insurance policy.

Best to have your neighbour claim it on her policy or if she can, pay for it herself.

Profile photo of fingerscrossedfingerscrossed
    Participant
    @fingerscrossed

Thanx for your time and advice Freckle smiley

Profile photo of NATSKI12NATSKI12
    @natski12

I would get her to claim on her insurance, definitely not on yours. It will be a black mark against your name, not hers.

Profile photo of fingerscrossedfingerscrossed
    Participant
    @fingerscrossed

Thanx for the comments guys.

It was actually my Property Manager that asked me on her behalf.

She will be paying for it herself :-)

Profile photo of PLCPLC
    Participant
    @plc

When you obtain quotes for insurance products, and they ask you if you have ever had any claims in the past X years, there is a reason for that.

Answer yes, and the premium automatically increases.

Why take the blame for something you haven't done? Get her insurance company to take care of it, or get her to pay cash for the damage.

PLC | Phoenix Loan Consulting
    Email Me | Phone Me

Melbourne based Mortgage Broker | Making Finance Simple

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.