All Topics / General Property / Rising rents cause tenants to break leases

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of ygue6072ygue6072
    Participant
    @ygue6072

http://www.smh.com.au/business/property/rising-rents-causing-more-tenants-to-break-their-lease-20120815-2498n.html

I thought this was interesting… not sure how accurate a picture it paints but still interesting.

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

This is very interesting.

I think the reason people are seeing rents as unaffordable is the price of paying a mortgage is now reaching the tipping point where it's the same each week to buy as house as it is to rent.

There is also no explanation of where these properties are. The same properties located in Syd and Melb would probably cost another $100-200 to rent per week. It's all relative. And interesting!

Cheers

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

What a load of rubbish. Typical MSM misinformation. You cannot raise rent during a lease period unless it's by mutual agreement. People break leases because their circumstances change, transferred, unemployment, sickness/injury, purchased, change of living location etc. 

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

I'll say that I did actually move due to the rent going up but I was at the end of a lease….. and it was already $700 p/w…..

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

“…There are 2440 rental properties currently on the market, down from a peak of 3708 during the first week of July last year, according to REIWA….”

I’m amazed by the diligence of the reporter. Hmmmm supply/demand, Fewer properties available & rents increase – isn’t that a given?

It is other economic forces at play causing tenantd to vacate eg FBT on employers providing accommodation, general affordability & loss of employment. Some tenants see the writings on the wall & it is easier to pay the break fee & move to cheaper digs than to honour the lease.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Bottom line is tenants breaking a lease will still be responsible for their rent and any costs incurred by the landlord.

Vacancy rate is still below 2% (according to this article anyway) which is extremely low for winter.

Slow news day.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates
    Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

What does "more" mean? 1% more? 10% more? I think it's just a story to fill the paper.

You can't accurately say why a person is breaking a lease.

As rents go higher though more people will opt out to buy, especially with low interest rates. They can see little monetary difference between renting and buying. But also people will look for more affordable rental properties. When I first started renting I moved a few times because the rent was pushed to high (greedy landlords!! LOL).  Now I'm on the other side of the fence. :-))

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Agree completely with this comment

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Not everyone is eligible to buy and not everyone wants to buy. Plenty of people happy sponging off the unemployment benefits and rental assistance money on offer out there

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of ygue6072ygue6072
    Participant
    @ygue6072

I found it interesting because of the vague/general comments/figures. It was even more interesting to see what other people thought. Thanks for some thought provoking comments.

Profile photo of homepropertyhomeproperty
    @homeproperty
    JacM wrote:
    Not everyone is eligible to buy and not everyone wants to buy. Plenty of people happy sponging off the unemployment benefits and rental assistance money on offer out there

This is absolutely correct!

Profile photo of kateej03kateej03
    Participant
    @kateej03

Hi Guys,

I think there is some truth to this article. I know a lot of people looking for places to rent in Perth and have taken places for much more than they are worth just so they have somewhere to live. I think if they find somewhere cheaper they will break the lease to move in.

One of my friends has been looking for over a month, an agent called her to say she had made the final 2 and how much more was she willing to pay, she said an extra $50 a week. When the agent called her back she hadn't got the house as they other tenant had offered more.

I think some landlords are probably getting on the band wagon if the leases are ending and that could be a reason for people moving out as well.

Thanks,

Kate

@derek

Hi Kate,

What you have described is entirely possible but that is very different to the article which talks about breaking leases – very different to moving out at the end of the lease.

Looking at the Perth market at the moment – I would suggest tenants who want to pay the same rent will be, in the main, either looking further afield or downgrading their premises or moving into some sort of shared living arrangement.

In general terms rising rents will see some tenants doing the maths and working out that a 'purchase' over 'renting' is an economically sound decision. All part of the normal property cycle really.  

@derek

hi all, As this discussion has morphed into tenants starting to buy I thought I would share this newspaper article.which is based on a RP Data report.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.