All Topics / Creative Investing / Transportable Homes

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of santhsanth
    @santh

I am looking for the cheapest way to build on a vacant lot.

I have heard of importing kit homes from overseas and what not but don't know where to start looking on the internet.

Has anyone done something similar?

The idea is to buy cheap land, build something cheap and then sell it off or rent it out.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster
    Profile photo of M.InvestigatorM.Investigator
    @m.investigator

Where are you planning to buy land?

I've seen a number of investors doing that sort of thing you're talking about with transportable homes mainly in coastal areas and rural areas.

Profile photo of homepropertyhomeproperty
    @homeproperty

Have you decided where to buy land? Location is a big deciding factor. Good luck!

Profile photo of sydey99sydey99
    Participant
    @sydey99

Few of my friends told me that you can buy brand new granny flats in western Sydney for around 60k, Not sure if it involves transport,etc

Profile photo of Kohlhagen GroupKohlhagen Group
    @kohlhagen-group

My partner and I have sold one 'transportable' (ended up as a built on site, due to access) in regional South Australia and currently building a second.

I my experience buyers can be turned off by a cheap quality transportable versus a known brand.

I would wonder with all the heart ache (customs, freight etc) of importing a kit home it might be more profitable to purchase in Australia?

I like Duckster's suggestion, though I can never make the numbers work unless I am driving the truck myself haha!

Anyone else have experience with transportables?

Profile photo of santhsanth
    @santh

Sounds like an episode of Seinfeld…

I was mainly just toying the idea of what it would cost and what is out there to buy.

There are some vacant lots in regional towns that are cheap ($10k) but as mentioned it is hard for the figures to stack up from an investment point of view unless you get in before a mini boom in the town which is almost impossible to predict.

Would love to hear of some success stories though if someone has done similar.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.