All Topics / Value Adding / Sub Dividing

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of DKLMDKLM
    @dklm

Has anyone had any dealings with a company in Melbourne, Property Subdivision?

They deal with projects from start to completion providing planners, surveyors, designers etc & provide a 100% money back guarantee for all permits, DA's etc. Any feedback on their fees would be interesting.

Profile photo of Stonnington ConveyancingStonnington Conveyancing
    @stonnington-conveyancing

I'm sure there would be conditions on the Money Back Guarantee!

They would assess it VERY carefully themselves first and check it does not have any obvious refusal issues.  They probably meet with the Council Planners first too and get some feedback before offering you the Guarantee.

I have not had a file with them, but have heard of them – been around for a few years now.

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Wow, money back? Check that fine print… very carefully! There are no certainties with developing.

Plenty of firms (architects, etc) will do some hand holding through a development if you have never done one before.

Checking out fees should be pretty easy, just compare with some other companies (Such as ChristianB from Brutal Art who is often here), most will have a full list of services, prior projects they have been involved with, and some can help you find the right builders etc too if you need. It just depends on how much you are willing to pay and what service you need.

Cheers

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

The only issue I see with a money back guarantee is the possibility that they may choose the "quickest way home" rather than getting the most they can out of the land available. Commercially speaking, if I was to offer a money back guarantee I would need to consider the surest outcome rather than the best outcome.

And a hello to DWolfe. I am just getting the hang of navigating the new site, and have as ever been looking and learning for myself, rather than posting. You know, we have been getting a lot of enquiry from people who are alarmed about the proposed new zones in Melbourne and are seeking reassurance, and I think this makes a money back guarantee seem more appealing. It is unlikely there will be any particularly tough outcomes from the future (at least 12 months before we see any draft amendments) re-zoning, and it is my feeling that it will lead to greater rather than lesser density. 

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Great post Christian !

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of MysteryMystery
    Participant
    @mystery

I'm fairly sure this company contacted me a while ago and offered their services. It was going to cost something like $24,000 to handle the sub-division process including plans, council stuff etc, but didn't include council fee's and some other costs which I can't remember. I think from memory by the time everything was factored in it was closer to $26,000 to $30,000 ….. Very expensive.

We had a town planning consultant and surveyor handle this sort of thing for us in Queensland a couple of years ago including drawings, application paperwork and application fee's for around $6,500. I considered this very reasonable and factored in with the eventual construction cost it made for a profitable project.

Mystery

Profile photo of Stacey SurveyingStacey Surveying
    Participant
    @stacey-surveying
    Mystery wrote:
    I'm fairly sure this company contacted me a while ago and offered their services. It was going to cost something like $24,000 to handle the sub-division process including plans, council stuff etc, but didn't include council fee's and some other costs which I can't remember. I think from memory by the time everything was factored in it was closer to $26,000 to $30,000 ….. Very expensive.

We had a town planning consultant and surveyor handle this sort of thing for us in Queensland a couple of years ago including drawings, application paperwork and application fee's for around $6,500. I considered this very reasonable and factored in with the eventual construction cost it made for a profitable project.

Mystery

Hit the nail on the head there Mystery. It's been proven time and time again on the forums that these "one stop shop" companies prey on the uneducated developers. A little bit of due diligence and some effort can definitely end up with you saving thousands in the end. Once you've signed up you're more than likely going to run into those extra costs at the end- making you fork out another few thousand dollars.

Realistically, the subdivision process isn't all too difficult. Using a good team of professionals who work well together will be just as able to get the project done promptly as those big development companies- and with a more personalized service to boot.

Profile photo of Change Of PlanChange Of Plan
    Participant
    @change-of-plan

Perhaps another way to look at it is that these companies service people who don't want to or don't have time to be involved at all.  I think Christian hit the nail on the head with saying that they would most likely play it safe with the proposal.  It isn't too hard to look at a block and see that a unit development is possible, the harder part is working out how much can fit on!

I seem to recall seeing past posts about this company, so it might be worth doing a search to see if you can find them if a one stop shop is what you prefer.

Regards,

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.