All Topics / Help Needed! / Advice on book selection

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of kidpropertykidproperty
    @kidproperty

I am looking to soon begin my venture into the the world of Property Investing and I would like to start by reading a few intelligent, yet simple, books within the field. The first stage of my strategy is to start a positive cash flow portfolio. From what I gather- Jan Somers, Margaret Lomas, Steve Mcknight & Michael Yardney are the Authors to look for…

My question is- What titles will be best suited to me as a beginner & and my strategy?

Also, I feel everyone has a book or two that in one way or another they consider it to be their "bible". I have two- Think & Grow rich by Napoleon Hill and How to win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie- each was handed to me by my mother and father. If you have one I would also love to hear of it.

Thank you.

Profile photo of NHGNHG
    @nhg

Off the top of my head…

PROPERTY BOOKS

All the authors you mentioned above.

Particular books:

0 to 130 Properties in 3.5 years by Steven Mcknight is probably the best start

20 Must Ask Questions for Every Property Investor by Margaret Lomas (my absolute favourite property author, I recommend all her books)

An easier version of the above book to read is How to Find Property Hot Spots by Jeremy Sheppard (It's a free download online)

MOTIVATIONAL BOOKS

7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey

The Four Hour Work Week by Timothy Ferriss

The Travellers Gift by Andy Andrews

Goals by Ben Tracey (Can be downloaded for free online)

Most audio tapes by Anthony Robbins

This is barely an extensive list, nor all the best started books. I think I have a couple of hundred books in my personal library ranging from free to $100's. Knowledge is a never-ending quest, I can however HIGHLY recommend you get a mentor, I consistently learn more in 1 weekend with a (free) mentor than I have ever by reading a dozen+ books.

When I have a chance I'll go home and pass along some more recommendations.

Profile photo of N@thanN@than
    Participant
    @n-than

My two favorite by far would have to be 'Rich Dad Poor Dad', and 'The Richest Man In Babylon'. Neither of them are specifically about property but they are great for getting you into an investing mindset and really change the way you think about things.

Definitely recommend them if you are just starting out!

Michael Yardney is good but he is more into negative gearing and buying as close as you can to the CBD in a capital city. This may not really be what your looking for if you want to have a positively geared portfolio.

Good luck with it all.

-Nathan

Profile photo of SMSF101SMSF101
    @smsf101

:) i have read the 7 habits of highly effective people., and it is really mind opening., it will give good perspective, i guess they have recommended a dose of books that you can read, i will not give more because but i suggest that you read one motivational book first then read property book then read another motivational book before skipping to another property book, so you will have a steady stature of drive. God bless :)

Profile photo of kidpropertykidproperty
    @kidproperty

All absolutely excellent answers! Thanks to everyone!

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe
    Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

On a sidenote, train  your brain to no longer subscribe to the idea that you need your investment property to be pretty, new and inner city.

In some cases this may well turn up a diamond.  Though some of the best cracker investments out there are ugly, but fantastic earners, and becoming amazing earners when you mix in value-add techniques such as strata titling, renovation etc etc.

It's about the numbers.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of Rental ProfitsRental Profits
    @rental-profits

The magic of thinking Big

By Dr David Schwartz

it is just awesome and i read it over and over 

Profile photo of charlescrowleycharlescrowley
    Participant
    @charlescrowley

I would recommend '7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey' as posted above by NHG. I have read the book and you might want to check it out aswell.

Profile photo of M.InvestigatorM.Investigator
    @m.investigator

I second the Magic of Thking Big!

Oh, and just to help you out with going through all these books, just remember that you don't have to necessarily read them in book format. I've read alot of books, but most of them have actually been in audiobook format. I've learned that I'm an auditory learner, but also you may find that you can read alot more books if you listen to them while you're exercising, commuting, doing random tasks. This is what I do to get through so many books.

Profile photo of kentotoolekentotoole
    @kentotoole
    NHG wrote:
    Off the top of my head…

PROPERTY BOOKS

All the authors you mentioned above.

Particular books:

0 to 130 Properties in 3.5 years by Steven Mcknight is probably the best start

20 Must Ask Questions for Every Property Investor by Margaret Lomas (my absolute favourite property author, I recommend all her books)

An easier version of the above book to read is How to Find Property Hot Spots by Jeremy Sheppard (It's a free download online)

MOTIVATIONAL BOOKS

7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey

The Four Hour Work Week by Timothy Ferriss

The Travellers Gift by Andy Andrews

Goals by Ben Tracey (Can be downloaded for free online)

Most audio tapes by Anthony Robbins

This is barely an extensive list, nor all the best started books. I think I have a couple of hundred books in my personal library ranging from free to $100's. Knowledge is a never-ending quest, I can however HIGHLY recommend you get a mentor, I consistently learn more in 1 weekend with a (free) mentor than I have ever by reading a dozen+ books.

When I have a chance I'll go home and pass along some more recommendations.

Goals by Ben Tracey and The Four Hour Work Week by Timothy Ferriss are great. You can't miss those two.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.