All Topics / Finance / Cash Reserves

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of renelrenel
    @renel

How much cash reserves does everyone like to keep when purchasing an IP? Assuming no renovation or obvious works are required. I can see the obvious benefit in putting down as much $ as I can for a deposit to reduce LMI.

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

You need about 25% to avoid LMI. 20% Deposit, 3-4% Stamp Duty and 1% other costs. In some cases LMI works since it is tax deductible.

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of PLCPLC
    Participant
    @plc

It all depends on your comfort level in how much debt you would like to handle, and if you can do more with the excess funds you have. Some people are fine with having a high LVR, while others see it as too much of a risk.

In regards to LMI, as it is an IP, LMI is tax deductible over 5 years, can be capitalised onto the loan, and interest charged on the LMI is deductible as well.

PLC | Phoenix Loan Consulting
    Email Me | Phone Me

Melbourne based Mortgage Broker | Making Finance Simple

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi renel

I personally don't have an issue with LMI – it can be used to get ahead. Have a read of this article I wrote about it.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Tom

Just to clarify the point on LMI deductibility.

It is actually 5 years or the Term of the loan whichever is the shorter period.

In the case of a 3 year interest only period the premium would deductible over 3 Years and not.

LMI is an opportunity cost and certainly where a client has limited funds or equity i would always look at it as a gearing strategy.

As far as the level of cash reserves are concerned then this will be dependant on the client risk profile and also the uncommitted income position. If the deal is tight on serviceability and a new hot water service would mean that you cant feed the children for a week then you would want to keep some rainy day money up your sleeve.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of PLCPLC
    Participant
    @plc

Cheers for clearing that up up Richard. yes

Same as if you have a long term IP loan and refinance within the first few years, you can claim any remaining non-deducted LMI premium in one hit on the following tax return.

PLC | Phoenix Loan Consulting
    Email Me | Phone Me

Melbourne based Mortgage Broker | Making Finance Simple

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Your post asks 2 different questions- how much cash should one put into the deal (10%, 20%).

But you are asking how much cash to have in reserve. This is a different question.

In answer to that- you need to have enough cash in reserve to cover any problems that may arise. Again everyone has their own comfort level. Some people have 6 months rent for example.

If you have no cash reserves you can quickly find yourself in a position where the bank takes your property if things go wrong.

If your tenant stops paying rent for 2 months are you still able to pay the mortgage? This is not a far fetched scenario.

I have a friend that had a very high LVR who lost a lot of her portfolio. She had no cash buffer and had to sell some properties in a hurry.

Profile photo of streamlineinvestingstreamlineinvesting
    Participant
    @streamlineinvesting

My personal opinion with investing is that it should not be a stressful experience. Don't get me wrong, it can be frustrating and a lot of hard work. But at the end of the day I do not want to have to be worried that things can go terribly wrong for myself financially.

This leads me to be a bit more 'safe' when it comes to investing and maybe taking baby steps rather than giant leaps in my portfolio, but I know that I should always be safe and comfortable in being able to maintain the amount of debt I have acquired.

For example, I purchased my first property with my brother, it was a PPOR so could not rely on any rent so the loan repayments had to come out of our incomes. With both our incomes we could cover the repayments comfortably, however if there was a situation that one of us all of a sudden lost our incomes, then it would be difficult, but we made sure that even on one income, we should still be able to maintain the loan and keep the bank from knocking on our door.

It is all about preparing for the worst so that you can handle anything that gets thrown at you.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

I like to keep an amount in the bank that is equivalent to 3 months worth of rental roll.  If I was not working to cover my own living expenses, I'd want my cash reserves to be higher.

If I struggle to sleep at night with this kind of cash reserve, my comfort level would dictate that I would need to beef my cash reserves up a bit.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of renelrenel
    @renel

Ok so $10k on hand is ok then. Cheers everyone

Profile photo of Andrew_AAndrew_A
    Participant
    @andrew_a

I love offering on property when you have 100% in cash :) You can really squeeze and perhaps more important act quickly. Nice to have 1M+ cash as the jaw dropping deals tend to be in that price range with resi I have found, however I know buyers who shop at the lower end of the scale <300k and sometimes much less, with patience and network building you can pick up a stunner with this approach, only need 1 every year or so to  make it worthwhile as well.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst
    renel wrote:

How big is your portfolio?   If you have one property rented at say $400 a week. Yeah it "should" be enough.

I agree with streamline about stress. I put a lot of faith in SANF (sleep at night factor) in all my dealings. If I'm not sleeping something has to change. I'm a worrier and play pretty safe (compared to all the investors I know).

I like cash in the redraws and a low LVR (but I'm getting close to retirement). The things is to know what to worry about and what not too.

For example my first IP was going up like crazy (bought at the beginning of the massive boom). Uneducated, I listened to media hype (interest rates will go to 14%, vacancies will rise etc) and I sold. Made a nice profit but "if only" haha.

Took me years to decide to try again.

You have to do what's comfortable for you and your situation.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    renel wrote:

I assume you have arrived at $10K based on Jacs (?) comment about three months.

While three months may be OK for Jac you do need to consider what is right for you. Typical selling times also come into play.

Let's just assume for a minute that the wheels fall off your life and you need to sell. The market your properties are in may be extremely slow – lets say 180 days. All of a sudden your cash reserves are short by three months.

For me the right amount of reserves is a formula based on your SNAF, monthly costs, selling times + a little bit extra.

PS If your reserves are cash – put them in an offset account.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.