All Topics / Help Needed! / Investing in Mackay

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of SamSarahSamSarah
    @samsarah

Hi everyone,

I am looking to invest in my first property in Australia and have had my eye on the Mackay area. Mainly as I am currently living in a remote area in the NT in a mining town and like the idea of eventually moving to the Mackay region.

I am looking to buy an investment property to rent out for a few years and have noticed through researching that a few years ago Mackay had minimal rental vacancies and therefore the demand was high.

Has anyone any up to date info on the rental market in Mackay and if there are key area's/ suburbs to buy an investment property?

I would really appreciate any views knowledge on the area/ market.

Thanks

Sarah

Profile photo of SamSarahSamSarah
    @samsarah

Hi everyone,

I am looking to invest in my first property in Australia and have had my eye on the Mackay area. Mainly as I am currently living in a remote area in the NT in a mining town and like the idea of eventually moving to the Mackay region.

I am looking to buy an investment property to rent out for a few years and have noticed through researching that a few years ago Mackay had minimal rental vacancies and therefore the demand was high.

Has anyone any up to date info on the rental market in Mackay and if there are key area's/ suburbs to buy an investment property?

My Budget is $350,000.

I would really appreciate any views knowledge on the area/ market.

Thanks

Sarah

Profile photo of DubstepDubstep
    Participant
    @dubstep

Hi Sarah,

There are a few recent topics on investing Mackay you can do a quick search.

Good luck.

@samsarah

Hi there Dubstep,

Yes I have been reading through several posts on here and all have been helpful. 

Just out of interest, what type of property is in the most demand? 3 bed, 4 bed? Any idea's?

Thanks

Sarah

Participant
    @dubstep

I'm not sure what is in demand to be honest, but I am aware that there are guys on our project that are sleeping on floors and in the garages etc, so from that angle I would say the more bedrooms the better.

That's the only experience I can give unfortunately.

Cheers.

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Hi Sarah,

Do you currently rent or do you have a PPOR? This is not answering your question but just checking to see if you have thought ahead about CGT?

Regards

Shahin

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

@samsarah

Hi Shahin,

We are currently living in a mining town where we have our accommodation provided for us and therefore no outgoings. We are exploring all options at the moment but are currently favouring the idea of buying a property to rent out, however I am not an expert as to how CGT works etc. But would welcome any advice.

Thanks

Sarah

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

You have a few outcomes/scenarios when it comes to CGT. In the eyes of the law if you purchase the property and rent it out and then move into it as a PPOR then this is deemed as an investment vehicle and thus CGT is payable. However, if you purchase the property and live in the property (the ATO doesn't do a house visit to see if you are living in the property but if they ask for proof you need to show bills marked to that address) for a 'reasonable' time and then you can rent it out for up to 6 years at a time. If this is done then you avoid CGT. The reason why I asked if you currently own a PPOR or rent is because you cannot claim 2 PPOR in the same period. In your case it seems that you would be claiming only one.

PS. The way that CGT works is that say you purchase a property for $700k and in 5 years time you sell it for $1Mil. The profit you have made is $300k but this is pro-rated. Meaning that the $300k is divided by the 5 years equaling to $60k and this is added onto your income tax and thus you are taxed at the higher TR. 

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

I don't think that is how CGT is calculated…

Pro-rata is a concept that becomes relevant if you lived in the property for a period of time and rented it for a period of time.

My understanding of CGT calcs are:

Cost of acquiring property …. minus holding costs …. minus sellling costs…. equals Capital Gain.  Let's say your capital gain is $150k.

If property has been held for over twelve months, divide the capital gain by 2.  So $150k / 2 = $75k.

Work out what tax bracket you would be in if you added your capital gain to your day job salary.  Let's say it is the 45c tax bracket.  So your CGT is (0.45 * $75000) + (0.015 * $75000).  That 0.015 is the medicare levy.

That's how I believe it is.  Certainly if here is some pro-rata at play I would love to hear about it because that would suddenly put A LOT more projects in the profitable category and this would please me.

Could an accountant on the forum perhaps clarify how cgt is calculated?

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Hi Jacm,

Just to clarify – in the scenario above if Sarah was to purchase the property as PPOR and then rent it (assuming that she then has another PPOR) and thus is liable for CGT  then the amount is prorated for the period it was an investment. This would be further halved if the property was held for more than 12 months. Example, property is PPOR for 2 years and then I rent the property out whilst having another PPOR for a period of 5 years. The profit I make when selling is $300k then it will be $300k divided by 5 years = $60k. As the property is held for more than 12 months then the CGT added to the taxable income is $30k.

Regards

Shahin

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Yup that is more like what I understood to be how cgt works, cheers for clarifying Shahin.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of kiwimelwkiwimelw
    @kiwimelw

We have bought in the Mackay market about 3 years ago. There have been in the last month or so alot of downturn in work due to strikes etc and BMA cancelling their shutdowns over the last few months. However vacancy rates are less than one percent and dont look to change.  We are currently renovating a 3 bed PPOR house in the East Mackay region that we bought on the cheap.

After the renovations are completed we got a rental appraisal for anywhere between 550 – 650 a week. 

Profile photo of PEACHYPEACHY
    @peachy

We bought a few months ago in North Mackay (the part just near Mount Pleasant). Having some troubles at the moment with the plumbing but aside from that bought a 30 yr old 4 bed brick house and renting for $590 per week to four young people working in different industries up there. Could use a reno in five years or so but because the rental market at the moment is strong it doesn't warrant it currently. Plus we have to get over the plumbing bill :)

When we talked to various agents up there a lot said that many people in Mackay have the mentality that going over the bridges (from town to the northern suburbs) is too far. We found this hilarious coming from Sydney as it all seemed so close, even the North Beaches area which is a little further away. I guess the important thing is to think more like a local. We did buy over the bridge but just near Mount Pleasant so really not too far and this is a more prestigious neck of the woods from what we saw.

Agents (in particular property managing agents who do the letting) said that Ooralea, West Mackay, Mount Pleasant, Rural View and North Mackay were all popular with renters. A number of them also mentioned how important a big double shed and side access is…for the boat. It's true from what we saw up there, seems to be a prized feature. Some agents mentioned that the newer estates can be less appealing as they don't allow space for this.

I did a short stint for a company that sold properties up there and it is interesting to see the difference in the marketing perception as opposed to real perspective of good and bad suburbs you get when you visit an area. Definitely make a trip up there before buying and talk to as many locals as possible.

Participant
    @dubstep

Hi Peachy,

The reason for people not wanting to go over the bridge is because of the rush hour traffic in the afternoon.

You can be in traffic for about 10 to 15 mins trying to get to the bridge, this is hilarious !

I have sat on the M25 in London traffic for 7 hrs trying to get home from work !

Profile photo of PEACHYPEACHY
    @peachy

Hi Dubstep,

Three of us went up there and were laughing so much as it is all so close. By the end of the weekend we were feeling more like locals and I must say going from one inspection to the next on the schedule was made more annoying by the traffic on the bridges. Hate to think what it was like prior to the new bridge being built!

I guess that is why it is important to talk to lots of people in an area you visit, to really understand the mindset. It isn't Sydney so not surprisingly they don't get annoyed by the same things as we do. 

A few agents pointed out that if there was a downturn in the future that affected the low vacancy rates that it would be the outer lying suburbs that they would have more trouble renting out. Having said that Mackay has a very low vacancy rate and they also said at this point in time just about anything would rent out in a flash.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.