All Topics / Help Needed! / dual occupancy costs – NSW

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of MarshesMarshes
    Participant
    @marshes

Hi Guys,

I am currently looking at a 4 bedroom house that already has 2 kitchens, 2 bathrooms ( single laundry ) in the western suburbs region.

the house is not split and you can walk from one side of the house to the other.

Does anyone have any ideas about

– Council Costs
    – Fireproofing costs
    – Splitting electicity etc

I want to do everything above board for safety / insurance reasons.

Anything else i may have missed?

Any general comments on dual occ.

Scary and exciting days.

(p.s i have had a search on the forum but didnt find what i was looking for )

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

There are several things you will need to consider:

Fire separation – dividing wall will need to go from footings to roof (you may be able to put fire rated plasterboard on existing walls, vermiculite below floor level (watch out for joists/bearers/ceiling joists which are continuous through the dividing wall), fire rated wall up to roof.

Services separation – complete rewire of house to separate the electrical supplies, even more difficult to separate the water supply, gas will also need separation, you may also need to look at fire collars on other things like sewer pipes if they go between the two units.

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

dual occupancy is a great way to increase your income. I prefr to invest in properties that already have the dual occupancy features – as renovating the home yourself usually takes too much work and costs for me personally

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.