All Topics / Help Needed! / How to find when a house was built

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of SundanceSundance
    Participant
    @sundance

This probably seems like a really dumb question but how do I find out when a house was constructed?  Our accountant has advised us to get a depreciation schedule done on our IP but I need to know when the house was built to request one.  Have gone over our purchase documents but no mention is made of the age of the house.

Cheers,
    Sundance

Profile photo of BrokotaBrokota
    Participant
    @brokota

Hello Sundance,

I have recently had depreciation schedules done on our houses and the business I paid to do them found out the build date as part of their research, thats what you pay them for.

Also your local council will have records of when the house was built. I was advised by my council that if I wanted to know the build date of my house it was free, but if a third party wanted to know there was a small fee to pay.

Hope this helps

Participant
    @brokota

Hello Sundance,

I have recently had depreciation schedules done on our houses and the business I paid to do them found out the build date as part of their research, thats what you pay them for.

Also your local council will have records of when the house was built. I was advised by my council that if I wanted to know the build date of my house it was free, but if a third party wanted to know there was a small fee to pay.

Hope this helps

Profile photo of SundanceSundance
    Participant
    @sundance

Thanks for your help Brokota. 

My accountant advised that I'd need the build date before requesting a depreciation schedule and have just started filling out an online form to get a schedule done and they are also requesting the build date.   Think it may be best if I give the council a call on Monday and see if I can find out. 

I assumed that building searches would have automatically been done as part of the conveyancing when purchased but they weren't.  Is this normal practice or do you have to specifically request conveyancers to do a buidling search when purchasing?  The only thing that was done was a title search.  Confused!

Cheers,

Sundance

Participant
    @brokota

Hey Sundance,

I am honestly not sure, hoping someone on here can post an answer for both of us.

When I got my schedules done, all I did was tell them the address of the properties and gave them my Credit Card Number and 3 weeks later I had the schedules emailed to me, so made it very very easy for me.

Profile photo of Stacey SurveyingStacey Surveying
    Participant
    @stacey-surveying

A search on the subdivision you’re on will give the month and year the lot was created. Assuming building happens within a year or two after this then it might get you close!

Cheers,

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86

Ring your council and ask for a copy of the occupation certificate, that will have the date on it. Its free.

Cheers,
    Luke

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

It's listed on RPdata.

Or one trick is, if the kitchen is original they used to date stamp the sink hole.

Or look in the meter box.

Participant
    @sundance
    Brokota wrote:
    Hello Sundance, I have recently had depreciation schedules done on our houses and the business I paid to do them found out the build date as part of their research, thats what you pay them for. Also your local council will have records of when the house was built. I was advised by my council that if I wanted to know the build date of my house it was free, but if a third party wanted to know there was a small fee to pay. Hope this helps

Thanks Brokota, I'll give the Council a ring today.

Cheers,
    Sundance

Participant
    @sundance
    luke86 wrote:
    Ring your council and ask for a copy of the occupation certificate, that will have the date on it. Its free.

Cheers,
    Luke

Thanks Luke86, will give this a try.

Cheers,
    Di

Profile photo of Solomon10Solomon10
    Participant
    @solomon10

When i ripped out some plaster walls the cheeky builders had signed their names and the date on the stud frame, not a recommended way to find out though lol.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

What quantity surveyor are you using for the depreciation schedule?  Maybe ring around some others and see if they can manage to do a better job of figuring out when the place was built for you.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Participant
    @jacm

What quantity surveyor are you using for the depreciation schedule?  Maybe ring around some others and see if they can manage to do a better job of figuring out when the place was built for you.

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @jacm

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @sundance
    JacM wrote:

Hi JacM,

I ended up filling in the form and guesstimating the construction date.  I'm sure they'll come back to me if they're not happy with that.

Cheers,
    Sundance

Profile photo of N@thanN@than
    Participant
    @n-than

When I got mine done on a property I didn’t know the build date on, I was told just to leave that bit blank and then they find it out. I guess just if you know then it saves them having to find out.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.