All Topics / General Property / Investment property

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Profile photo of opinderopinder
    Participant
    @opinder

Hi all,
    I am planning to buy an investment property in eastern suburbs of Melbourne.

Just bit confused shall I go for unit or house which is better buy if I tend to buy in and around blackburn or vermont areas.

If I buy unit shall I buy close to CBD like camberwell area .

Which is better option house or unit in view of capital growth.
    Any help would be appreciated

Thanks and Regards in advance..:)

Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew

Opee .. the answer is a weight to judgement.

Now, people will say that a house is the obvious answer .. because it may have the additional land component that could lead to additional subdivision and further growth.

Thats all true .. but the overall picture is a house remains higher overall maintenance than a unit. It also comprises a higher additional purchase cost in most cases .. so it may take you longer to achieve an acceptable neutral or positive gearing on the investment.

What must be weighed up in the approach on the investment is the actual demand for a home or unit in the area, the ongoing costs for maintaining and upkeeping the investment .. and the chances of continual and uninterrupted use.

For a reasonable example .. a student unit in Prahran sounds like a cheap option into entry in the market for a unit purchase. However, there are serious possibilities that Swinburne Prahran (the local university campus) may be vacating that site in the very near future. Will there be an ongoing demand in Prahran for student living? Sure the students can go elsewhere for study. But does it change the need for using student apartments in the area? Will you find your student apartment empty for longer periods of time?

It might sound obvious .. but in Dandenong thats exactly whats happening. The new and improved 2BR apartments are of course the preference of choice for the fussy renter. And thats meaning the existing 2BR unit stock is having to resort to better finishes .. lighting and facilities to attract the renter at a good dollar.

Your weight to judgement should entail measuring whether there will be ongoing demand within the next 5 years for your property. As an investor .. no-one can really see beyond 5 years with any degree of accuracy. But you should be able to see ongoing trends that will validate your purchase and its potential growth .. regardless of property type.

Shared ownership costs (body corporate expense), Council Rates, expected rental achievement, ongoing maintainence and accumulated billing totals should be the factors you weigh up when approaching the property. The lower cost you spend on keeping the property sound and lettable .. the easier the property is to look after for the long term.

Profile photo of simplesimple
    Participant
    @simple

^^^
    Quality reply that is.
    I will add, if you ask this question – need to do more research (reading). Re capital growth, make sure to do you calculations… I see too many people claiming that they made money, but when all expenses inc interest repayments are considered they barley brake even. Some would be better off just saving in the bank account.

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop
    opee wrote:
    Hi all,
    I am planning to buy an investment property in eastern suburbs of Melbourne.

Just bit confused shall I go for unit or house which is better buy if I tend to buy in and around blackburn or vermont areas.

If I buy unit shall I buy close to CBD like camberwell area .

Which is better option house or unit in view of capital growth.
    Any help would be appreciated

Thanks and Regards in advance..:)

There are pros and cons for each option. Units are cheaper and thus have an easier entry point for investors. They generally have higher rental yields than houses.

Depending on the area my personal preference is the house for exactly the land. You have more opportunity to get Capital Growth with a house than a unit. Why? You can renovate it more extensively, you can extend up, down, sideways and you can develop (or at least get DA on it).

Make sure you do plenty of research on the property either house or unit before you make a decision. We run property reports on specific properties which shows recent sales, on the market properties, etc. Email me the property address and I will send you the reports.

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of Rental ProfitsRental Profits
    @rental-profits

Every time i buy a unit i regret it

I much prefer houses because of the options available

– Renovating
    – Sub dividing
    – Knock Down
    -Go Up A Level
    – Put in a pool

The list goes on and on, try to get biggest possible land content

Profile photo of opinderopinder
    Participant
    @opinder

Thanks everyone..:)

I agree with you simple but I guess property investment is a long term game You have to hold the property atleast 10 yrs to make profit…:)

My theory is once I buy a property Never sell it

Participant
    @opinder

Thanks Everyone for the precious advice…:)

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Opee i agree and that's how i have always structured my portfolio.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Participant
    @simple
    opee wrote:
    Thanks everyone..:)

I agree with you simple but I guess property investment is a long term game You have to hold the property atleast 10 yrs to make profit…:)

My theory is once I buy a property Never sell it

Opee, mate done right and there is no need to wait for 10 years. I purchased two in last 12 months that slightly positive out of the box. Both are stand alone houses in close proximity to City.
    Mate, search, talk to people and learn! Keep your money on you until you see opportunity.
    I never sell to, only buy and rent out :)

Participant
    @opinder

Thanks simple,

Where did you bought your properties if You don’t mind asking me.

were they in Melb.

Any tips or advise for me.

Thanks in advance…:)

Participant
    @simple

I am in Brisbane. Good start is to find property agent that is like minded to what you are trying to do. They normally buyers agents, charging you fee for finding what you want. Some actually also can rent the places out for you as they run small businesses not to different to your usual Real Estate agent.
    The catch of the whole set up, is to know WHAT QUESTION (what result to demand) to ask. They are tools to achieve the goal, you need to direct them, same as finance brokers. Figure out what is your strategy and go for it.
    Internet is last option, go out there, attend seminars, meetings, mix with ppl. I know no one in Melb to suggest.

Profile photo of tonnygardentonnygarden
    @tonnygarden

I think you should hire a local real estate agent who knows everything about the area where you want to buy some property. He will help you in finding a better place as per your needs.

real estate in aventura florida

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

It comes down to what you can afford. Naturally a house in Camberwell is great but you wont get anything much under 1 million. Therefore the returns are not high enough. There is nothing wrong with apartments and townhouses. I have over the years brought a lot in places like Elwood though I looked at 20s to 50s apartments because they are large and spacious. I now mainly involved in property development

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Hi opee,

Camberwell is great. Just make sure you are purchasing based on the numbers and not on emotion. I personally LOVE Camberwell, but have never bought anything there as the numbers have never stacked up. You can pick up some great (needing reno) units (single level 2×1) for around the $550k mark and yes a house in desperate need of renovation wont be anything under $1mil. Having said that, if you do enough digging you may find someone who wants to get out in a hurry, and might pick up something, if you know all the agents.

I'd take a look at Box Hill South, behind the uni as well. Prices have come down again to what they were around 5 years ago, for some properties, not all. You can get something that will offer subdivision potential, so later you can add value. It's not just a student area, people who can't afford Camberwell buy there, and with PLC around the corner people rent there.

There are some great deals getting around, you really need to do heaps of research and know the area back to front. It's about knowing everything you can about an area, and about the properties for sale around there.

Good luck, let us know how you go!

Cheers

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of PLCPLC
    Participant
    @plc

South Eastern suburbs in Melbourne are always a good bet however median prices might be out of reach for some.

If that's the case, the north and western suburbs offer some good value with potential for growth. Places like Yarraville, Pascoe Vale, Glenroy, Epping, Airport West, even Sunshine are still affordable, and border/close by some prestigious suburbs.

PLC | Phoenix Loan Consulting
    Email Me | Phone Me

Melbourne based Mortgage Broker | Making Finance Simple

Participant
    @dwolfe

Good call Tom,

Yarraville is good and you can still pick up some nice period houses, and the cafe strip is nice there, dodge the trucks on the main road tho!

I still like Sunshine (nope would never live there) but as an area to invest in, it's got some good fundamentals, like transport, shops, ease to city etc. I think it'll still have a bit of growth, but I should have bought there, when you could pick up a house walking distance to the shops for $250k.

What about Kingsville, Seddon?

Good time for some bargain hunting in Melb I think!

Cheers

D

Email Me

Profile photo of PLCPLC
    Participant
    @plc

DWolfe,

Yarraville is what my wife likes to call new money, with a young(er) demographic buying in or renting there. The whole area around there like the ones you mentioned Kingsville, Seddon and also Newport appeal to people who can't afford neighbouring Williamstown but want to be close to it.

Also agree with Sunshine, taken off in the last few years as a growth area, but personally wouldn't want to live there. Considering I grew up in Broadmeadows, can be considered a case of the the pot calling the kettle black. laugh

PLC | Phoenix Loan Consulting
    Email Me | Phone Me

Melbourne based Mortgage Broker | Making Finance Simple

Participant
    @dwolfe

Great points there Tom, it's really about picking areas that have the infrastructure and the appeal of being 'next door' to the nicer parts. Gentrification happens all the time, slower in some areas than others but look at places like Richmond, St Kilda, Brunswick. Years ago these areas were 'dogs' but now…. cost a fortune and full of nice places.

Cheers

D

Email Me

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    demetrius wrote:
    You are right buddy that real estate is a good business to invest and get profitable return on the investment but I have heard that experts predicted about the real estate market and according to them real estate market is in recession and it will boom again after spring 2012 so people should avoid investing in real estate until spring 2012.

There's hundreds, if not thousands, of property markets across the country at different stages of the property cycle. While some markets have seasonal adjustments – I wouldn't say that things will boom again next week once spring hits.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of demetriusdemetrius
    @demetrius

You are right buddy that real estate is a good business to invest and get profitable return on the investment but I have heard that experts predicted about the real estate market and according to them real estate market is in recession and it will boom again after spring 2012 so people should avoid investing in real estate until spring 2012.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.