All Topics / Help Needed! / intrest only loan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of winadilwinadil
    Participant
    @winadil

so we bought our PPOR for 430000 in November with an Interest and principle loan thought ANZ
    We decided that we would be changing this to an IP in about 2 years or so as we would be leaving town after reading here on the forums
    we decided that we should change to an interest only loan. so we went to the bank and told them that we wanted to change to interest only loan a few weeks ago
    Today i got a phone call from them saying that since the loan is new that i cant change the loan to interest only as it would add another year onto the loan and that it would go over the 30 year mark and that i would have to wait 3 months
    my first reaction was no impressed and I was tempted to tell them forget it and that will change banks to some where i can get an interest only loan now
    since we wont change the house to Investment property for about 2 years is it better to just wait the 3 months and then change or just go to another place and get the new loan now?
    i don’t really want to make any rash decision over something that may just be trivial

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

3 months is a tiny amount of time to wait  compared to 30 years.
    You are not changing to IP for 2 years so it won't be to big a problem to wait.
     If you were buying another IP then the repayment saving may have been useful for cash flow to help repay a second IP
    but if this is the only house you own then reducing the principle while it is your main residence is not a big problem as the interest component is not tax deductible when it is not an IP but is your main residence(PPOR)..

tanjimh
    Participant
    @tanjimh

agree with duckster.

Profile photo of winadilwinadil
    Participant
    @winadil

thxs for the advice

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.