All Topics / Help Needed! / bank account

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Profile photo of kevrenokevreno
    @kevreno

Do i need to open a separate bank account for investing

Profile photo of Rental ProfitsRental Profits
    @rental-profits

generally yes, it is easier for record keeping but not totally necessary

ask your banker

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

No. You should be using a 100% offset account attached to your home loan to save non deductible interest.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of a_d_r_i_a_na_d_r_i_a_n
    Participant
    @a_d_r_i_a_n

If you have multiple IP loans with the same bank.
    For this example you do not own a PPOR.

Would you ever setup more than one offset account?

Cheers,
    Adrian

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

If you had no PPOR then you could have multiple offset accounts if you wished – eg you may want to save 20% of your salary into a separate account for budgetting reasons etc.

But just watch out for fees.

But if you had a PPOR then i suggest 1 account so you can be the maximum interest and tax savings.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew

Kevreno … i set up an account for each single investment, though it may be several apartments within the investment. That allows me to keep precise accounting records for each investment, based purely on bank statements. It also allows me to enumerate who has paid and who hasnt paid based on the entry in the account.

For tax purposes it also provides a single set of entries that need to be chased down when looking for rents receipts and expenses.

For record keeping purposes i can go back over the statements and work out what was spent on what before i approach my accountant.

Profile photo of delbs19delbs19
    Participant
    @delbs19

Sorry to revive an old thread..

Im trying to work out what banking solution would be best to use to purchase multiple IP's.  My mortgage broker recommended buying my property with a package account (with offset facility) from one of the 'big four' and im wondering whether to renew it again to purchase my second IP, or take out a new loan with a totally different (and cheaper!) lender. 

Tossing up because the annual package fee is expensive, although taking out a new loan with a different lender would rack up perhaps $600 in start up fees.

Im going to use the equity in my first IP to finance the second one, though I need to get it valuated first.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Renae

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst
    xdrew wrote:
    Kevreno … i set up an account for each single investment, though it may be several apartments within the investment. That allows me to keep precise accounting records for each investment, based purely on bank statements. It also allows me to enumerate who has paid and who hasnt paid based on the entry in the account.

For tax purposes it also provides a single set of entries that need to be chased down when looking for rents receipts and expenses.

For record keeping purposes i can go back over the statements and work out what was spent on what before i approach my accountant.

OMG. That would mess with my head. I do have loans separate but I have one account that the rent goes into and bills (including interest)  are paid from. That way it's easy to keep track of ins and outs. I put all transactions on a spreadsheet for each property.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Renae

It's difficult to comment based on the info above.

Cheaper doesn't always mean better (it rarely does). 

It all comes down to what you need in the loan and what your longer term plans are.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of PLCPLC
    Participant
    @plc

Packages from lenders usually allow multiple loans under the one annual fee. So the added costs associated with taking out a new loan with a "cheaper" lender does not mean it will be better in the long run.

It's much the same as with Wayne Swan's broken record about "walking down the road to find a better deal" every time the banks don't pass on the full interest rate cut. Funny that he hasn't told people how to actually do it! Possibly comes down to the fact that there are costs involved when "walking down the road" and that in most cases it will cost more than the saving.

Cheers

Tom

PLC | Phoenix Loan Consulting
    Email Me | Phone Me

Melbourne based Mortgage Broker | Making Finance Simple

Participant
    @jamie-m

It is quite annoying how they harped on about removing Deferred Establishment Fees but don't mention that there are still discharge fees, state Govt. fees, break costs if the loan is fixed, etc. It's not a simple $0 bail out from one lender to the next.

At least some lenders are providing cash rebates which usually cover most of the transaction costs of the refinance.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Renae

There are a few lenders out there that offer better than packaged rates without any application or ongoing fees.

It is horses for course.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of PLCPLC
    Participant
    @plc

That would require the government telling the truth, heaven forbid!

Cheers

Tom

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @delbs19

Wow thanks Jamie, Tom and Richard for the advice, I didnt think I'd get four replies so quickly.

I think I'll stick with Breakfree. I was concerned because I only have one small mortgage and it seemed like I wasnt getting 'value for money' with this package. Though I've just read on ANZ's website that you can have up to five residential home loans with Breakfree and avoid loan approval fees and loan admin charges.  I guess that makes the fee work a bit harder for me when I purchase IP#2.

Thanks again

Hey Richard any chance you could forward me a copy of the interview in your sig please?

cheers

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Admittedly there are no federal taxes otherwise i’d say there was a vested interest.

Participant
    @jamie-m

I like the ANZ b/free package.

Generally speaking, there an easy lender to deal with when accessing equity because their policy in this area is quite transparent. Valuations can be ordered upfront and the loan product itself is pretty good.

Like you mentioned, when you increase your borrowings under the package you'll be entitled to a larger rate discount (which depending on the size of the borrowings can possibly be negotiated down further).

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of PLCPLC
    Participant
    @plc
    delbs19 wrote:
    Wow thanks Jamie, Tom and Richard for the advice, I didnt think I'd get four replies so quickly.

I think I'll stick with Breakfree. I was concerned because I only have one small mortgage and it seemed like I wasnt getting 'value for money' with this package. Though I've just read on ANZ's website that you can have up to five residential home loans with Breakfree and avoid loan approval fees and loan admin charges.  I guess that makes the fee work a bit harder for me when I purchase IP#2.

Thanks again

Hey Richard any chance you could forward me a copy of the interview in your sig please?

cheers

The maximum 5 loans under the Breakfree package will actually become unlimited from mid next month.

Cheers

Tom

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi delbs

Can you drop me an email directly or Pm me your email address and I would be happy to let you have a copy of my API interview.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Participant
    @delbs19

my email address is [email protected]

Thanks for getting back to me Richard :)

Qlds007 wrote:
    Hi delbs

Can you drop me an email directly or Pm me your email address and I would be happy to let you have a copy of my API interview.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi delbs

Just emailed it to you from my gmail address as i am at home.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.