All Topics / General Property / Build cost for Granny Flat?

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Profile photo of paragparag
    @parag

Hi all…

Thsi is a terrific forum…

I want to put in a 60 sq/mt granny flat in western sydney.. Want to include council costs/ private certifiers and all in a turn key pack. how much am I looking at. And any suggestions  of builders from experience.

Thanks

Profile photo of dangermouse99dangermouse99
    Participant
    @dangermouse99

I did my research for doing one on the Central Coast NSW, everything including approvals and fences for a really decent spec'd 60sqm granny flat was going to cost a tad over $100K. Imspect quite a few and were quite impressive and now getting $330p/w which is more than my double story brick townhouse around teh conrner.

I was sort of talked out by a CBA valuer who said he would not value up the whole property because of a great yeilding granny flat, so there would be no instant equity to e able to go again to the next property…..very tempting with the rentals yields, but I walked away…..just my 2 cents worth.

I would also consider dual ocs!!!

Cheers

DM

Profile photo of bluelineblueline
    Participant
    @blueline

Hi All, My apologies for reviving what appears to be an old chat. I am currently looking for cashflow positive properties and like the idea of western Sydney properties with the ability to add a Granny Flat. I realize that the best time to do this was probably 12 months ago but it still looks like an ideal way to make city property instantly positively geared.Are there any particular agents and areas that i should look at? Also,  Brazen are you still involved in GF Permits and construction?Thanks.  Blueline.                 

Profile photo of RegwarRegwar
    @regwar

I've just bought a house in Western Sydney and plan to build a Granny Flat to create dual rental income. I've spoken with a couple of builders to get an idea of build cost.

Profile photo of Made_ManMade_Man
    Participant
    @made_man

what type of costs have they been giving you?

Profile photo of XeryusXeryus
    Participant
    @xeryus

I can see this investor package from these guys, seems very reasonable? I had another quote which was more custom, but very similar inclusions for $94k :S anyhow for the price this seems fine right? : http://www.grannyflatsydney.com.au/silver-investor-package/

Profile photo of BrazenBrazen
    Participant
    @brazen

Brazen are you still involved in GF Permits and construction? Thanks. Blueline.

Hi there Blueline,

Yea I’m still designing, approving and helping with building granny flats for my clients. The unique thing I offer is a ‘co-op’ for investors looking for the best-build-for-the-money. What does this mean?

It means having someone there on the inside looking after your investment goals and interests- an impartial advocate who has no commercial interest in your build. I reject scores of enquirers every week because I can see that a granny flat in their back yard(whilst legal) is going to absolutely destroy the privacy and resale vale of their land. Granted, they often go to a ‘commercial builder’ after I reject them but I’d rather that than an un-occupiable investment on my conscience, no?

On pricing, there are companies offering builds for $80k to $90k BUT they’re shoe-boxes; nothing more than a container or caravan-park cabin on stilts. Then there are companies building decent structures but they’ll sting you with ‘add-ons’ and they’re very top-heavy. These companies charge more just to pay their hefty media bills. You can also spot these businesses by the way they advertise (TV, Radio etc) and they’re lack of transparency on pricing. They boast extravagant advertising and they have sales-staff running all over Sydney offering people the Earth. There’s nothing wrong with advertising of course but for granny flats, which are small developments, there’s not a huge margin for a well-priced builder. Bottom line is this – is your money paying for quality inclusions or for fancy advertising? Something’s gotta give, right? So these larger builders are gambling on the razzle-dazzle of and promises of investment returns etc but we all know this stuff already. We’re property investors!

A little-known fact is that really good builders don’t really need to advertise much at all. I’ll say that again – really good builders don’t need to run TV Ads and hire scores of monkeys to convince people to buy from them. .

The best builders are relatively small operators with just a few staff at most, who just build a granny flat or two at a time. The Builder is physically there on site, not off smiling at cameras.

My own goal (and it gives me great pleasure) is to search out these humble, hard-working builders who are family-run and don’t have unrealistic ambitions. It’s these bigger project companies that lack quality control and rob you of inclusions – to pay for advertising and huge overheads. A business gets to a point where a lot of your money just goes to running their own admin; and they charge you an arm and a leg for the privilege.

I’ve been involved in residential drafting and building approvals for decades and I’ve seen building companies emerge, grow out of control, lose touch with their customers and (whilst the founder gets filthy rich), their quality suffers.

At the end of the day, you’re after the best build for your money are you not? You’re not after a ‘sales experience’. So look for builders who are small, not greedy and who will be there on site day in, day out. When you look at their finished work, look very closely, not with rose-coloured glasses. Look a the joinery work, where the architraves meet. Look at the paint in direct sunlight. Look under the skirtings for gaps and paint runs etc. Look at everything closely and with a critical eye.

I hope this helps!
    Serge.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of Brazen Brazen.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of Brazen Brazen.

Brazen | Granny Flat Approvals Sydney
    http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Granny Flat Approvals Guru

Profile photo of Jason StaggersJason Staggers
    Participant
    @jason_staggers

We’ve just published a brief article on PropertyInvesting.com called “Build a Granny Flat to Boost Your Property’s Cash Flow”. Please take a moment to check it out and leave a comment to share your thoughts. Cheers!

https://www.propertyinvesting.com/granny-flat.

Jason Staggers | JasonStaggers.com
    http://jasonstaggers.com
    Email Me

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.