All Topics / General Property / Build cost for Granny Flat?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Profile photo of KERRY_DEEPKERRY_DEEP
    @kerry_deep

Hi Friends,

Was looking at buying an IP at Riverstone. Would love to hear from you all from all your experience and research. What would you say about the suburb currently, livable? The suburb seems will go up in some time period cause of the area been developed. Have read about the housing commission area and the trouble caused to the residents there ? Can anyone mention which streets to avoid ?? Thank you

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

This may be helpful – 

http://www.gcc.nsw.gov.au/riverstone-41.html

Regards

Shahin

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of BrazenBrazen
    Participant
    @brazen
    KERRY_DEEP wrote:

Hi Brazen,

Would you do the 2bd rm granny flat including above + connecting services for 70k ?

I'd hire a builder and go back to what I do best.

Brazen | Granny Flat Approvals Sydney
    http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Granny Flat Approvals Guru

Profile photo of nsaharannsaharan
    @nsaharan

Hey NHG,

Can you please provide the builders name and contact who can do it for anything less then $90000 , I want a 2 bedroon 1 bath and Kitchen 60 SQM unit to be built at the back of my house.

Much appreciated.

NS

Profile photo of nsaharannsaharan
    @nsaharan

Hey Sydey99, Can you please help with providing the builder details and also if possible can i trouble you by visiting your site so I can see what is being built in $60k

Much appreciated

NS

Profile photo of Johnny80Johnny80
    @johnny80

Im in the process of going ahead with a duel occupancy granny flat (kind of like a single level duplex) being built on my property in wentworthville. I was quoted fixed price of 75K on concrete slab. The only thing that is going to cost me extra is the external connections of utilities etc but all wirring and plumbing on the inside is included. Its about 65sq all up from memory.

Is this a good price?? I have had other people price me but there designs look to typical granny flat looking for me and prices were around 95K

He was recomended to me by a family friend who built a 2 bedroom granny flat on his property about 9 month ago. I was actually very impressed with the overall build, fittings and materials used. Looks more like a house than granny flat.

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Wenty is my home town! $75k is cheap though. 

What about site costs, air con, kitchen appliances, wardrobes, rainwater tank?

One thing I will say is that you have limited space with GF's so make sure the design is spot on.

Regards

Shahin

Email Me | Phone Me

@johnny80

My property is 1100sq. It willhave its own driveway on one side of the house so theres plenty of room..

From whats written down on the costing, excavation, survey, plans and council, site clean up, security fencing is all included. Kitchen, electrical appliances, wardrobes etcc. I didnt include aircon or rainwater tank.

Pretty much everything from start to finish except the actual external connections of utilities. Tiles and carpet ect.  I was given a copy of plans and actual room sizes based on what i was after. I think its a very good price especially based on what ive seen from his finished work but this is first time doing this so i thought ill put the question out there incase im missing something or things i should look out for

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

If your property is 1100sqm why on earth are you doing a GF and not a dual/triple occupancy?

Regards

Shahin

Email Me | Phone Me

@johnny80

Hi NS, If you are in sydney i can pass details of the guys im going to be using. there stuff isnt prefab, its build on the spot and the design of the structure was pretty much designed the way i wanted it.

@johnny80

I was approved for a 2 story duplex, but thought about it and decided not to as it was going to set me back around 350k. and to be honest i only bought the property a yr and a half ago and cant really afford 350k atm.

There is already an existing 3bedroom clad home at the front of the property which is a rental property and after speaking to people i decided to go for a single storey split granny flat. let it cost me 80k but i worked out the return on the investment to be very worthwhile.

The structure im going to build isnt a typical granny flat looking building, its a well designed purpose built , quality materials which was designed by the guys based on my needs.

I was actually going to go for 4 studios but they advised me to go for a duel occupancy where it can be comfortable and spacios to add return on the investment. and in the furture wont affect the rest of the land should i decide to knock and built duplex at the front in the future, I kind of agree with them.

Profile photo of phoebe123phoebe123
    @phoebe123

I’d say that is a fairly reasonable amount to pay for a flat of that size. You might want to add another $10k for water and electricity connections though.

$80k for a 2 bedroom flat, I think you’ve got yourself a good deal already. You can get a cheaper price if you have a smaller flat built. The rest of the expenses would be used for furnishings and water and electricity connections.

That’s not a bad price for a two bedroom unit already. I know some builders that charge the same price for a one bedroom flat only! Consider yourself lucky.

If it’s for a pre-made granny flat, I think the price would be too much but for one with a concrete slab, then I think the price is fairly reasonable.

That’s a good price for a 2 bedroom flat; don’t think too much about it.

@phoebe123

I’d say that is a fairly reasonable amount to pay for a flat of that size. You might want to add another $10k for water and electricity connections though.

$80k for a 2 bedroom flat, I think you’ve got yourself a good deal already. You can get a cheaper price if you have a smaller flat built. The rest of the expenses would be used for furnishings and water and electricity connections.

That’s not a bad price for a two bedroom unit already. I know some builders that charge the same price for a one bedroom flat only! Consider yourself lucky.

If it’s for a pre-made granny flat, I think the price would be too much but for one with a concrete slab, then I think the price is fairly reasonable.

That’s a good price for a 2 bedroom flat; don’t think too much about it.

@phoebe123

Hi guys, I’ve got a huge area at the back of my property and I thought “why not put it to use?” I could certainly make money off it if I build a granny flat in it right? I could have it rented out afterwards! Anyway, what are requirements for building Granny Flats? Are the laws for building granny flats different from state to state in Australia? I live in Perth and I’d like to know if laws concerning granny flats here apply to those in Sydney too. Would it be advisable to purchase ready mate flats or work with a home builder for this?

Profile photo of bethyoungbethyoung
    Participant
    @bethyoung

Profile photo of nathan frindlaynathan frindlay
    @nathan-frindlay

Profile photo of nathan frindlaynathan frindlay
    @nathan-frindlay

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Hi everyone.

I think everyone is over emphasizing price and not what you get for that money. You need to compare apples with apples.

It's like saying "I bought a necklace for $100, is that cheap" What type etc.

There are brick and tile granny flats and there are those that look like a container with windows. Also lots of people say "I paid $$" but don't always include the extras. Some people do include everything. So it's difficult to know the "real" figures.

Due diligence.

Profile photo of eliseyelisey
    Participant
    @elisey

Hi,

I got a newly built granny flat on site which is transportable (ie: not on concrete slab). Built by a reputable company….

guess what……. after 1 years, i got phone calls from agents regarding the oven door doesnt close properly….

then 6 months after that, another phone calls regarding the toilet cant flush…….

I cant believe that in 1.5 years, all these happen……..

Please do due diligence…….. and make sure the builders do what they promise and certainly make sure that their works, the materials and fixtures are of high quality……

You wouldn't want things to be broken in less than 2 years…..

Profile photo of ellen2013ellen2013
    @ellen2013

Hi Johnny, I am very impressed by what you have achieved. Certainly don't want something like a box or typical dual occupancy situation. I guess one need to consider its resale value and how the granny flat can blend in with the rest of the property, perhaps the neighbourhood. I have just started this idea of putting a granny flat at the back. A much smaller property than yours, though.   You bought a good property too with such a potential.

I was wondering if you could kindly help me by providing the tradesperson's contact details. Also was wondering if you have started?

Good luck with your project and thank you for sharing with us.

Ellen

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.