All Topics / Overseas Deals / Anyone bought from Sean O’Hare from Foreclosed American Homes (FAH)?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Profile photo of mango99mango99
    @mango99

Hi, i'm having a lot of difficulty sorting out some problems with the purchase of an American property from Foreclosed American Homes based in Perth WA.

Basically I agreed to purchase a property in Atlanta in August last year. It was suppose to take a month to settle but did not settle until December. It was suppose to have some appliances installed which I paid for in addition to the property price. The appliances were not installed and in June this year I was forced to have the appliances installed myself at additional cost as I finally found a tenant, no thanks to Sean O'Hare. I am trying to get a refund from Sean <moderator: delete comment>. He has now closed his business and I expect him to reinvent himself, so buyer beware. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Mango

Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs

Is the property stablized now ?  IE rehabbed and tenanted ?

And your happy with your current management situation.

If any of these are incorrect please feel free to send me an e mail and if its in an area we service we will give you a down and dirty quick assessment at no charge.

[email protected]

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

we can do a drive by if its an area we work..

My post above did not populate

[email protected]

Profile photo of IlovehousesIlovehouses
    @ilovehouses

All sounds familiar. So I’m not the only stooge.

Profile photo of mango99mango99
    @mango99

Jay, the property is now tenanted and appliances installed. Only problem is I have paid for the appliances twice, so looking to get a refund.

ilovehouses, did you deal with the same person? Do you have money owing to you?

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

If you only lost the cost of appliances count your self very lucky and move on… not worth any more effort.

contact me if you have any more troubles in Atlanta we will check the property out for you if its in an area we work

Profile photo of IlovehousesIlovehouses
    @ilovehouses

Mango99

Different person. Same scenario. I am battling with John Patchin of rewholesaleking in Kansas City. Borrowed money to buy and rehab but didn’t pay it back and abandoned the house. Strange thing is it looks like I’m going to get the house and it’s worth more than he owes me. Go figure.

Profile photo of worldinvestorworldinvestor
    Participant
    @worldinvestor

Hi Mango
    I purchased my first 2 properties in Atlanta with FAH. I am based in Perth.

I met up with FAH team in Atlanta and saw one of my purchases prior to buying, also  this one below though I did not see it, I thought it was a pretty good deal at the price I paid when you look comparables on zillow.

I only purchased 2 through FAH as I did notice that the majority of the properties were not that great and it was real slim pickings I thought.

FAH were very much yield focused and most of their properties did not meet my criteria. I also noticed that they changed their business model and started also purchasing turn key product that was very old, absolutely shocking, would not touch.

I did not have any major problems with FAH as such as I believe I purchased in the early stages of their business but I noticed it seems to fall apart, change of employees which did not seem to make any sense and I found another company that sourced far better properties.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1532-Locomotive-Dr-NE-Conyers-GA-30013/69417698_zpid/

As Jay said consider yourself lucky –  what you lost was quite minor, there are certainly horror stories, investors losing everything.

Is Steve managing your property?? If so, are you happy with his service.

Cheers, WI

@mango99

Hi Worldinvestor
    I agree the service seemed great when I first decided to purchase the property in August last year. Unfortunately by the time the property settled in December, Sean had no staff and rarely answered the phone. It also would take him at least 5 days to respond to any email I sent. I guess most of his contacts in America were just as slack as him. I figured out very quickly that his rehab contact who was also suppose be the property manager was a poor operator. The rehab man never did the rehab and so I decided to find my own property manager to find a tenant. At least I got that part right!

I'm just keen to find out if anyone else has had a similar experience with Sean. There may be no point in pursing a refund through the authorities. Sean is in the process of voluntarily deregistering his business.

No, Steve is not managing my property.

Mango

Profile photo of worldinvestorworldinvestor
    Participant
    @worldinvestor

HI Mango
    Was it Steve that performed the reno on your house. My understanding is that he started using another company to renovate properties. Also Clinton actually got booted out and he has now started his own company as a buyers agent.

I suspect that Sean was not a good business operator, he also employed too many people in the early days and perhaps had cashflow issues.

Congratulations on moving forward and finding a good property manager and securing a tenant.

Cheers WI

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

Mango,

If your talking about the US authorities helping you with a refund for appliances that is not going to happen.

The only ave you would have is Small claims court. and you need to be personally present no Attornies allowed in Small claims.
    Its just like Judge Judy if you guys get that show… plantif and defendant telling their stories…

In your case the guy would probably not show.. and you would get a judgement… but whats that worth  in all likely hood NOthing
    unless you can collect in OZ…

And reading the tea leaves it appears to me OZ business people hid behind company names or corporate names… Then just disband them at will with no personal exposure then start up a new compnay and do it all over.. is this correct?

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

4 months to settle a home is a really long time…. I can see 2 reasons for this.

1. they were buying it as a short sale and it took that long for the bank to process then they flipped it to you….

2. bought at sherrif sale and had to wait that long for the deed…

YOu need to be very careful with insurance if you settled in Dec and only just got it rented… And you have a standard policy you were without insurance after 2 months… If a house is vacant more than 60 days the policy needs to be amended and extra money needs to be spent… Vacant homes that linger that long with no one in them are VERY high risk for Vandals.

@mango99

Worldinvestor,

No it wasn't Steve who never did the reno on my property. The person was so slack I ended up having the new property manager organise the reno. Apparently the person who was meant to do my reno was recommended to Sean by a real estate agent.

Profile photo of Alex SCAlex SC
    Participant
    @alex-sc
    mango99 wrote:
    Worldinvestor,

No it wasn't Steve who never did the reno on my property. The person was so slack I ended up having the new property manager organise the reno. Apparently the person who was meant to do my reno was recommended to Sean by a real estate agent.

Guess I missed all this but there a a few solid Aussies dealing in the Atlanta market I would PM each of them and see who they are all using.

Jay is correct small claims court not worth your time though.

WI has had good success in Atlanta.

Emma seems to be a hands on person

So I am sure plenty of people to help In Atlanta. I still love the market their just not actively working their. If you have any questions or need any help with questions reguarding USA properties . Do not be afraid to ask some good people on here from Both USA and Australia.

Talk soon

Profile photo of john sproulejohn sproule
    @john-sproule

Much the same has happened to me except the value is higher and much more poor service,. I have been using bradly to carry out the repairs and on the face of it seems ok and he blames sean for non payment for stoping the work,have you had dealings with him.

Is any body in wa interested in forming a club as such. As im here at the mo and consider it worthy of investing, im a requistered builder in wa and we could help each other,also taking out a joint legal action as iv just found out of a asset he has
    Looking forward to you replys
    [email protected]

@mango99

Hi John,

Yes its Bradley who was meant to do the reno for me but never did. I've asked for a refund but no reply from him. He blames Sean for non payment and in my case this only adds up to a few hundered dollars. We were never told it was only short this much. I'm in NSW and total loss is a few thousand dollars so probably not worth legal action for me. Maybe there are more people out there though in a similar situation with these muppets. If your interested I'm prepared to report it to the consumer protection office WA to start and see how that goes.

Mango

Profile photo of john sproulejohn sproule
    @john-sproule

Hi mango. Thanks for your reply.on my return I will report he problem to consumer protection.ill keep u imformed
    Thanks john

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

NSW  Austriala

Is that North South West… OZ

Seems like an oxymorron

Profile photo of streamlineinvestingstreamlineinvesting
    Participant
    @streamlineinvesting

New South Wales, Australia…not North South West, would be a funny name though, nobody would be able to find it!

Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen

North South West – luvin it! :)

Ziv Nakajima-Magen | Nippon Tradings International (NTI)
    http://www.nippontradings.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.