All Topics / General Property / New hooks on walls

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of ZigZig
    Participant
    @zig

Hi

I have recently built a new house to rent and the tenants are requesting permission to put some hooks on the walls to hang some prints.  Someone once told me you should give permission with the proviso that the walls should all be as they were when the tenants moved in, without patch up paint work.  This would mean the tenants would have to paint the walls and most likely adjoining walls to make them match.  This seems a little unfair to me, but apparently significantly reduces the amount of repainting you have to do yourself.  My thoughts were to put them up myself, to ensure they are secured properly and don't go in inappropriate places positioning them best for the majority of potential tenants.

Has anyone had experience with this sort of thing and do you have any suggetions?

Profile photo of RyanJDRyanJD
    @ryanjd

Get them to use the 3M hooks with the tape. I've used these for quite heavy paintings and they have been fine for over a year!

Some of the hooks can hold 2KG+ each

Otherwise if they are really heavy paintings maybe get some proper hooks and put them in yourself for them.

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Put a number limit per room and specify what type, and they must stay there when the tenant vacates.
    A vacated property with picture hooks looks OK.
    Better to allow the tenants to make themselves at home right?
    cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of jim64jim64
    @jim64

Agree with the 3M hooks and tape.We trust these hooks with our pro hart collection.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

I would put them up myself. We had tenants put hooks up without asking and they put them up really high so when they move out we'll have to repair and will move them to an appropriate level (didn't even think about hooks). Wish they'd asked but I can't complain they've also repaired a few things and put a screen door on themselves and not asked for the money.

They are long term tenants and really treat the place like their own (in a good way) so I'm not complaining.

Profile photo of ZigZig
    Participant
    @zig

Thank you for your replies.

I have considered the easy release type stick on hooks but I've had problems with these in the past.  Admittedly on tiles in a bathroom.  I'm not sure if this is the type James and Ryan are talking about. 

Thanks thecrest.  A limit on the amount is a good idea.  And Catalyst I think I will put them up myself, some types can pull through the gyprock in time and if they stick them up in silly places it could turn future tenants off.  I'll Google for the best height and perhaps optimum number, so future tenants won't be put off by porcupine walls.

Maybe if they're not happy with the restriction on the amount I'll let them have I can suggest the stick on one's as long as they don't leave marks, and warn them it's their responsibility if things fall from those hooks.

I'll also go and check out the 3M hooks.

Your advice is very much appreciated.

Cheers
    Zig

Profile photo of RyanJDRyanJD
    @ryanjd

Yeah 3M is just a brand of stick on hooks. I tend to like them better then other due to the way you can pull them off without damaging the wall. You pull downwards which puts tension on a bit of the paint at a time.

Other sticky ones you pull away from the wall with can cause the paint to come with it if the paint is bad or old.

Profile photo of Mike12Mike12
    @mike12

I think the stick on hooks can also rip the paint of the wall when removed. It is better to set an agreement with the tenant that when they leave the hooks will remain or secure a repair fund from the tenant.

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

These are the best and lest destructive hooks for gyprock walls. They leave a pin hole which is often inperceptable. I’m not a fan of stick-ons. They either fail or damage the surface in many cases

Masonry hooks have their uses but should be used sparingly and fixed by a competent person. I’ve seen some wicked damage caused by idiots pounding these in crooked or too hard. You almost always have to repair a wall if you remove them. They are often left in place and painted over.

Pack of 2 x large hard wall 40mm picture hanging hooks. (347)

Installing picture rails can be another option.

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

make sure 3 inch nails are not used a picture rail like above is a brilliant idea as it can be used over and over and over

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.