All Topics / General Property / Buying off the plan 2 bedroom apartment in Brunswick

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of opinderopinder
    Participant
    @opinder

Hi Everyone,
    Recently I thought about buying an Off the plan apartment 2 bedroom plus study in Brunswick ( melbourne)

Just want to know if its a good idea to Invest in brunswick at present.

Price is 550K brand new and all up they are building 150 apartments company name park trent.

Will this be a good investment in terms of rental and capital growth.

Your advise and help highly appreciated.
    Thanks in Advance

Profile photo of emz03emz03
    @emz03

i'm always wary of investing in apartments where there is a lot of stock. with 150 apartments in the building the value of your property will be dictated by others sold in the building. not to mention if you want to re-sell/rent out then you will be competiting with other apartments in the building that are most likely identifcal to yours.

also, consider the body corp costs. is there a lift? pool? gym? this all adds up as well.

Profile photo of WomeninPropMelbWomeninPropMelb
    @womeninpropmelb

Opee, it is worth considering what Emma has to say.
    Park Trent is a large company and does a lot of property development. They have had mixed reviews. But they have been around a long time too.
    Brusnwick is a good area- close to city and university and lots of amenities.

Profile photo of opinderopinder
    Participant
    @opinder

Many many Thanks WomeninpropMelb and

EMz03.

Ur comments highly appreciated.Thanks again..:)

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop
    opee wrote:
    Hi Everyone,
    Recently I thought about buying an Off the plan apartment 2 bedroom plus study in Brunswick ( melbourne)

Just want to know if its a good idea to Invest in brunswick at present.

Price is 550K brand new and all up they are building 150 apartments company name park trent.

Will this be a good investment in terms of rental and capital growth.

Your advise and help highly appreciated.
    Thanks in Advance

Generally speaking off the plan properties are bad investments. There are too many risks associated that outweigh the benefits. You do not know how (the quality) the property will be finished or when it will be finished.

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Participant
    @opinder

Thanks Everyone for their thoughts.. My initial decision was No so I am sticking to it..:)

Profile photo of WomeninPropMelbWomeninPropMelb
    @womeninpropmelb

Opee, I dont have a view on whether OTP is good or not- I have seen posts on this site re Park Trent. I dont know how they are.
    BUT if you ARE looking in Brunswick- have a good look at it- it has become the place to be.
    If you cant afford it- maybe look at the next suburb out.
    I also like Thornbury and Preston for investing- not too popular just yet but close to everything.
    I remember when Brunswick was not so popular – then someone said rent was cheaper in South Yarra! Just look at Brunswick- how close to the city and how much is close- tram, train, shops, Highpoint,…………… Heck I even used to walk from Uni to work in Brunswick!
    Ok, off my soap box… Brunswick I think is a good place to invest- close to so much… hospitals.. universities – not just one university…

Profile photo of Kristin Simondson PBREKristin Simondson PBRE
    @kristin-simondson-pbre

Hi Opee,

Rental value would be between $420 and $450 per week depending on size, building facilities and car park inclusions. Brunswick vacancy is small and it's a really popular suburb. I believe the development you're looking at is on Albert Street? – it's a great pocket.

OTP purchases need to suit your investment plan, most clients that buy OTP are doing so to make larger depreciation claims on their tax returns. The days of buying off the plan and selling for profit shortly after settlement are gone due to increased building costs, large supply and the current market conditions.

Participant
    @opinder

Thanks everyone for the views.

Kristin You are right about location, I am only concerned about the amount of apartments coming up on that street. They are building 150 apartments all up. SO i guess
    even selling up after 10 years the profit making chances are not that great too.
    Renting them out I guess would be a great struggle too.
    But You are spot on about the location and the building
    Thanks Kristin..:)

@kristin-simondson-pbre

There are a few developments in Brunswick – One Lygon & Silo Apartments also. There can be a flood of the market but if you've got a good property manager to chase down tenants it won't be an issue, just a slightly longer vacancy than something established. When Viva Carlton settled they apartments were predominantly for lease rather than owner occupied and we listed & leased quite a few where other agents struggled.

With new buildings it's important for the property manager to service prospective tenants well as they have so many properties to choose from – the property manager's level of service then comes into play. If the PM can connect with them on a personal level and promote the property and present a good experience renting with that property manager, half the battle is won. It's just a bit of extra work.

Best of luck with it all!

Participant
    @opinder

Thanks Kristin…
    Do you deal with managing properties in and around eastern suburbs like boxhill, blackburn, burwood, vermont etc..

@kristin-simondson-pbre

The nature of property management these days takes me all over Melbourne for clients, we can service all areas of Melbourne however I don't negotiate on fees at all for properties further away simply because I couldn't afford to effectively manage them.

We have Burwood, Hawthorn, Toorak, Springvale South. When leasing a property in the area I contact agents I know for potential tenants they have on their books. Also our research shows a majority of our tenants come from seeing the listing on the internet and it's only a small minority that actually walk into our office looking for property.

Participant
    @opinder

Thanks Kristin.
    Would you like to email me your fee structure pls.
    My email is [email protected]

Thanks..:)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.