All Topics / Help Needed! / Electrical safety switch in a home

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of jaycjayc
    @jayc

Hi,

could someone point me to the right direction.

i need help in looking for the legislation or regulation regarding electical safety switch.

i would like to know what are the compliance issue and non compliance issue regarding having an electrical safety switch in the home?

if it is non compliance what are the breach and if there is a monetary fine involved and where i could find to information from.

Thank you

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson
    Profile photo of RyanJDRyanJD
    @ryanjd

"Safety Switch" aka residual current device (RCD)

Depends on state!

W.A. info below, your not allowed to sell or rent your house if you don't have them.

http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/EnergySafety/RCD/

Profile photo of DubstepDubstep
    Participant
    @dubstep

Hi jayc,

The fine/penalty for not having a safety switch installed is only one issue, in the bigger picture you may find your insurance may decide not to cover you if it is proven that the lack of an rcd was a contributor to an electrical fault burning your IP to the ground.

There is also the duty of care to your tenants to consider, you may find you are also liable in the case of a death by electrocution, where a safety switch could have saved your tenant or their children's life.

I am a property investor and a qualified electrician (Qld), and I would really advise getting the rcd installed to give you that piece of mind.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Don't be stingy.  I am sure you have a safety switch in your own home protecting your safety.  Electricity is dangerous.  Put safety switches into your Investment Properties.  It's a tax writeoff anyway.  Further, you will be able to sleep better at night knowing you've not stinged on something so important. 

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.