All Topics / Help Needed! / help/thoughts around property investing.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of smartcubesmartcube
    @smartcube

hello everyone. 
    i need help with the property investing.let me give a quick intro.i work for a consulting company my pay is around 110k and my wife is working  her pay is around 50k.i need some idea/help with investing in property to save on my tax and also build a portfolio in property .we are currently renting @1500 per month in SE suburbs near carnegie/murrumbeena…we dont own any property till now..have savings of 120k.so can you guys let me know how can i plan to invest  grow and if possible to save the tax i pay.plan is to start something small and buildup on it.any thoughts on investing in farm lands? is it a good option.. not that i know if just throwing all the thoughts.investing in country side etc..etc…

waiting to hear from you all..

ta.
    smartcube

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi smart cube

Welcome aboard.

You mention “saving on tax” a couple of times.

I think you need to change your mindset here.

Some of the tax benefits associated with property investing a great – but investing in property primary to reduce your tax bill is flawed because it involves losing money to get back a litte bit.

In terms of the type of property to purchase – you’ll need to devise a plan that fits with your risk profile and goals.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of smartcubesmartcube
    @smartcube

.aim is to own 5~10 properties(Farm/IP/commercial) in 10 years and eventually have some equity i.e. loan free so we can continue to have the same income on retirement to maintain the same standard of living

Profile photo of sapphire101sapphire101
    Participant
    @sapphire101

Hi Smartcube

Similar goal to most I think. Use property and the leveraging aspect on borrowings to increase net worth and then be able to relax with residual income.
    An idea may be to look at the various strategy options first, to get where you want to be. Find what is the best suited strategy to your needs over the time you are giving yourself.

A simple tax saving ( which is a negatively geared option) may not be the best in the longterm. Thats for you to decide. There are many considerations but you cannot build true wealth passively and quickly by one strategy alone, except capital gain in good times. +CF properties will not build you real wealth unless you have a swag of them or your LVR is low. Negatively geared high capital gain potential strategies will be limiting because you will reach a ceiling where the negative side really becomes negative when you cannot buy anymore. It's a flawed strategy for building wealth, but great for one or two properties short term.

Capital gain is where your gains are propelled above all else, beyond your efforts, so that is a hefty consideration. Earning $5000 a year from a +CF property will not make you wealthy, but earning $50,000 per year per property from gains may do so.

A balance is where you may like to go to reduce your risk. Depends where in investing you feel comfortable and what your risk tolerance is, what you can afford, how long you give yourself to achieve success and the education you give yourself, before you start, to be able to make that decision.

My advise for what it's worth is, if it's residential, buy in as high a capital growth area as you can afford in the major cities and buy a property with an add value element to it which you can implement in your own time. For more reading you can have a squiz at my website.

Ian
    http://www.theblockblog.com.au
    Free Property Investment Info, Tools & Resources For Investors

@smartcube

thanks for ur thoughts. had been to a house inspection. asking price is 550k. this would be for me to live in.its located in scoresby.near eastlink freeway. its been renovated 3 years ago. not decided yet to whether to make an offer. let me know wat u all think. iam currently renting and paying 1700 monthly.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-scoresby-110940223

Ta

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop
    smartcube wrote:
    .aim is to own 5~10 properties(Farm/IP/commercial) in 10 years and eventually have some equity i.e. loan free so we can continue to have the same income on retirement to maintain the same standard of living

Hi Smartcube,

Your investment strategy of having 5-10 properties within 10 years is great but also aggressive. You need heavy capital growth to ensure this is achieved. The property you have provided is great to live in but will most likely not deliver you hugh CG. Why? Its already renovated and its smaller block (can’t really develop it). Your other option of an extension will also be costly as the property is already renovated ground floor. Try and look for properties you can renovate or properties which you can develop (subdivide, build a granny flat, etc).

Shahin Afarin – Property Finance Consultant
    http://elitepropertyfinance.wordpress.com/

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of John MaxwellJohn Maxwell
    Participant
    @john-maxwell

Hi Smarcube,

You will need a good accountant and quantity surveyor to set a plan of action to maximize on your deductions. I agree with previous comments of not focusing on the tax savings only or looking to lose money thru negative gearing. The goal in investing is to make profit and balance between equity/ capital growth and cashflow gain in order to improve our wealth position for retirement planning.
    There are many investments that a good accountant will advise of that are ‘tax effective’.

The key now that you have good income and cashflow as well as savings accumulated, is to use those the most effectively as possible. A professional that has done this for their own portfolio as well as high clients would be preferable.

All the best!

@smartcube

hi everyone,

I am looking to purchase my first investment property. I've spent some time narrowing down my criteria's for an investment..thinking of Seabrock-vic or SevenHills NSW.(Happy to consider other areas as well even interstate)

I am looking for capital growth but it is also important for me that the property can be easily rented out. My budget is under 300~350k.

I would really appreciate if anyone has any thoughts about the areas I have mentioned, particularly from a capital growth point of view

Looking forward to hearing the responses

Smart cube

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.