All Topics / Help Needed! / New to Propertyinvesting.com & new to the housing market

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of thebigothebigo
    @thebigo

Hi all,
            I'm new to this site so hopefully I am posting in the correct area.

I just wanted to get some feedback as to strategies moving forward with regards to an investment plan to set me and my girlfriend up financially.

I am 26 and have purchased an 80 sqm apartment in Hughesdale (VIC, near Carnegie, Murrumbeena, East Bentleigh etc) for $485,000 in May 2010.

Purchase was "off the plan" and construction started in September 2011, with completion due Late 2012 – Early 2013.

My girlfriend and I are eligible for the first home buyers grant of approx 18k, and by December this year, including the 10% deposit we put down against the property, we will have approx 180k to get started.

I am allocating 15k of this for start-ups such as fridge, lounge, bed etc which leaves 165k deposit laid down against a 485k purchase.

I understand the market has dipped since we bought, and our property is more than likely valued at around 460k mark.

We were planning on putting in 5 years of hard work to put as much money into this property as possible.

Ideally i would like to keep this as an investment property as it is very close to Oakleigh, including schools, train station, Monash freeway and Chadstone shopping center.

What would be the best plan of attack from here, is it to get as much equity into the property as possible, and then use some of this to get a deposit down on a place to live in 5 years approx time?

I estimate our repayments for this property to be approx $2200 per month, which at the moment combined me and my partner are putting away $4000 a month in savings whilst living at home.

We have a joint income of 145k which doesn't factor in any commissions i earn at work (i am in sales)

Any feedback is appreciated as i am just going through the process of gaining as much financial knowledge as possible to ensure i give ourselves every chance to be financially sound in the future.

I look forward to learning from you all.

Cheers O

Profile photo of N@thanN@than
    Participant
    @n-than

Hi O,

The best thing you can do is set up your loans correctly from the start, so you would want an interest only loan with an offset account. Only pay the minimum of your money as the deposit and then any extra funds into the offset. That way you will be maximizing your deductible debt but saving on interest while your money is in the offset. Then if you ever move onto a ppor you can move the money from the offset without contaminating your debt. There are a few good mortgage brokers on here they will explain it better. But at the end of the day you don’t want to reduce your principle.

Cheers,
    Nathan

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Nathans' spot on.

You don't want to pay down future deductible debt.

Have a read of this article I wrote for API magazine on the subject.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of thebigothebigo
    @thebigo

So by not reducing the principal, i can get tax deductions etc at a later date once it is an IP? What would these deductions be?

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will be certainly looking to start talking to mortgage brokers in the next few months to start gathering information as to what loan is going to best suit, if anyone is around the East Bentleigh area moving inwards to the City, more than happy if you PM me to catch up.

Profile photo of N@thanN@than
    Participant
    @n-than

Your deductions will be any income made from the property minus any expenses like loan repayments. If you expenses are more then your income then this is negative gearing and reduces your taxable income.
    Shoot Jamie an email and he will help you out. Doesn’t matter where you live.
    I made the mistake of not initially going through a mortgage broker thinking the bank had my interest at heart. I was wrong!

Good luck with it all

Profile photo of thebigothebigo
    @thebigo
    nguli wrote:
    Your deductions will be any income made from the property minus any expenses like loan repayments. If you expenses are more then your income then this is negative gearing and reduces your taxable income. Shoot Jamie an email and he will help you out. Doesn't matter where you live. I made the mistake of not initially going through a mortgage broker thinking the bank had my interest at heart. I was wrong! Good luck with it all

Thanks for that Nguli, i was reading up on negative gearing last night, makes sense but only if i can afford it.

Jamie hit me up with details and i will give you a call to discuss.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    thebigo wrote:
    nguli wrote:
    Your deductions will be any income made from the property minus any expenses like loan repayments. If you expenses are more then your income then this is negative gearing and reduces your taxable income. Shoot Jamie an email and he will help you out. Doesn't matter where you live. I made the mistake of not initially going through a mortgage broker thinking the bank had my interest at heart. I was wrong! Good luck with it all

Thanks for that Nguli, i was reading up on negative gearing last night, makes sense but only if i can afford it.

Jamie hit me up with details and i will give you a call to discuss.

Hi there

My details are below.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.