All Topics / Overseas Deals / NEED US TRADESMEN?? Home Depot new-ish program

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of emma171emma171
    Participant
    @emma171

This COULD be fabulous or not but will keep you posted… Let's say you have a plumbing issue and need 3 quotes because you are sick of hyper inflated prices? Home Depot hooks you up with the trades from their list. 90 % obviously I have my trusted dudes but what if you didn't??

There is an app too. http://www.redbeacon.com/

For the people out there with the stories I have heard… PROGRAM CALLED RED BEACON

Have been reassured that all work is backed by the Home Depot promise and I have to say, if you are on the other side of the planet calling BS on a property manager, this may be a godsend. You call a 1800 number (or fill in your needs online) then the trades call you and you go from there.

I love it in theory. If I had a no show etc… Hmmm, must think of something to call them on.

Mmmmmm I love Home Depot….. Hooking tradesmen with me…..if I was in Oz…. Fab!

If I was here and short a guy? You will need to negotiate rates.

Remember 1) these are people who won't know foreign investor or rate that way (get a skype local number) – of course you still have to sound somewhat knowledgeable AND 2) some of my best trades I have met walking the aisles of home depot… If I see a guy who knows his stuff, is picking out the right thin set etc or is super helpful I absolutely chat.

Bottom line – if my gut was saying that I had received a specially hyperinflated quote for a job….. yep, I would call them. 

Profile photo of emma171emma171
    Participant
    @emma171

Thank GOD they don't allow direct advertising on this site….. ????

Yes anyone can get that through any bank in the US and it is free to set up an account – the question becomes WHY do you so desperately want to open a US account.

You can pay all your bills online ANYWAY – from Australia… admittedly once you have rent coming in, it may well help to keep bills in the same currency but isn't that what you have a property manager for?

For some of my guys who self manage it is definitely advisable for the US account but again, totally free.  UNTIL you get monthly charges, some of which can be waived with minimum balances etc….. all US accounts offer online bill pay, tracking of expenditure, mobile phone alerts etc  – IT JUST ISN'T FREE AND ISN'T LIKE AUSTRALIA. Bank Of America, Wells Fargo, Bank of Anywhere USA

Again, thank you for the spruik.

Profile photo of Alex SCAlex SC
    Participant
    @alex-sc
    emma171 wrote:
    This COULD be fabulous or not but will keep you posted… Let's say you have a plumbing issue and need 3 quotes because you are sick of hyper inflated prices? Home Depot hooks you up with the trades from their list. 90 % obviously I have my trusted dudes but what if you didn't??

There is an app too. http://www.redbeacon.com/

For the people out there with the stories I have heard… PROGRAM CALLED RED BEACON

Have been reassured that all work is backed by the Home Depot promise and I have to say, if you are on the other side of the planet calling BS on a property manager, this may be a godsend. You call a 1800 number (or fill in your needs online) then the trades call you and you go from there.

I love it in theory. If I had a no show etc… Hmmm, must think of something to call them on.

Mmmmmm I love Home Depot….. Hooking tradesmen with me…..if I was in Oz…. Fab!

If I was here and short a guy? You will need to negotiate rates.

Remember 1) these are people who won't know foreign investor or rate that way (get a skype local number) – of course you still have to sound somewhat knowledgeable AND 2) some of my best trades I have met walking the aisles of home depot… If I see a guy who knows his stuff, is picking out the right thin set etc or is super helpful I absolutely chat.

Bottom line – if my gut was saying that I had received a specially hyperinflated quote for a job….. yep, I would call them. 

Well I got to jump in and speak on LOWES behalf. Been away from the forum as I have been quite busy since I came back. We have 14 homes either in some form of purchase and  or rehab. So I been at both lowes and home depot quite often last few weeks. Found tile for 57 each at lowes ( home depot 63 cents  a tile) LOL Sorry Emma. Actually both home depot and Lowes are changing their stores. IF one notices and checks things out they are moving more into home decorating or renovations. They are also promoting the work to be completed by professionals. My little brother has been with Lowes for 14 years so that is why it is my favorite store. Home depot is just as good and prices are awesome.

If you go to lowes they are having in store demonstrations for all to see for lots of different repair jobs. This past week I have priced quite a bit of materials. What I am finding if you can find wholesale stores the  prices are even better. We found a carpet company out of Georgia, kitchen outlet in Charlotte. Searching for window company. Ac units yes we can buy them cheaper but to be honest our AC guy expensive but that is how he makes his living. So willing to pay for that service .

Both places have had incredible sales for plants and bushes which not sure how it is done in Australia. Here in the USA most investors do not put money into landscaping. Which is given no return for dollars. For me it is all about looks so I don"t mind spending the extra few dollars to make things look nice.

well got to run more post to catch up on.

Emma next times lowes has a side walk sale I shoot some pictures so you can see how great of a store lowes is.

Talk soon 

Participant
    @emma171

Alex… glad you piped in, I must say that in Atlanta, I am beginning to turn to the dark side…. I love Home Depot but not so much in Georgia…. Sigh…. what is up with the crappy HD selection here – for instance, 58" blinds – standard window size… but do they exist in Georgia??? No. Yes, I know, I know, I get the behind reasoning, I get they can't all be the behemoth version but seriously. PLUS with Lowe's… I do love their new online (NOT CREDIT CARD) tracking card….. nice sticker to add to my credit card (I don't WANT an HD or Lowe's CCD – I want airline miles for my reward)…..so that tracking card is just a GOD SEND…. HD seriously slacking on that.

Okay – two other things that are making me a bit of a convert to Lowe's – their $19.00 faucets…. looking very similar to the Glacier Bay Builder's chrome ones at $24.86….. hmmmmmmm, OH, and the 2 pack lights…. Home Depot have them – both about the same price but Lowe's definitely has an edge on "style".

PLUS I HATE HOME DEPOT FOR DOING AWAY WITH SPEEDWALL INTERIOR EGGSHELL – I am stuck with Glidden now – but will keep buying paint there for the Propaints reward…

NO – WORSE…. my all in one toilets at $79 have just disappeared….. Next up in price… $88 ones that are evil to install. AND the audacity of the guy who…. get this says "oh they were just a special"!!!??????? YEEEAAAAHHHH right, a special that I have been buying for THIRTEEN YEARS……. !!!

So, yes, my love affair with HD is still there just slightly faded and my loyalties must lie to the Charleston and Lamb Home Depot in Las Vegas with Shirley, and Sean and Travis and Charlie and all my family there…….. 

In Vegas they actually know what they are talking about – here??  they congregate and talk and if they ask you if they can help you it is while they keep walking past and away from you. I rarely have a question but dear HEAVENS if I need something from the top shelf it is an hour delay.  HOME DEPOT, ARE YOU LISTENING???? I MAY HAVE TO BREAK UP WITH YOU……

Okay – blinds still at Home Depot even if they don't have the sizes ($4.97 for a 34"x 64" blind), lightbulbs (come on, pack of 16 for $3.97… can't beat that)….plus of course redbeacon….  Exterior carriage lights – $10.97 (they have gone up to)… plus the Leviton $1.99 for pack of 10 faceplates or $3.97 for the outlets….

Carpet I use the same – mocha cream charger 12' for ours with the 8lb underlay, I rarely deviate because despite it being cheap 63 cents a sq ft (Lowe's again), it is just really convenient and I really actually like it… I chose it ages ago. I used to buy through wholesalers but they never had consistent enough volumes and I need 600 yards a week+ it is important to know they haven't given it to someone else or I can go to another store etc….if I don't have carpet in my properties by day 4 or at worst 5 of reno's I am one grumpy gal….I can't take advertising photos until then…

AHHHHHH… I am torn.

Underlay ABSOLUTELY not from the box stores (Lowe's or HD)…. $50 a bag.  Ditto with A/C…. I just pay the systems guys…. plus my a/c cages are expensive but that just is what it is… $275 for a cage but on call.

Profile photo of CL1706CL1706
    Participant
    @cl1706

Hey guys – great topic.

Further to your post Emma, I was recently in Atlanta on a property buying trip and thought I’d pop into Home Depot just to price white goods, kitchen cabinets etc and got chatting to a tradesman while in store.

Long story short, he has been great in finding me some local guys who I have used to help out get my houses into tenantable condition, and I will continue to use them as an alternative to my Property Managers own people when back in Australia.

Haven’t seen Lowe’s, but might be worth a look.

Participant
    @emma171

CL1706
    Great to hear it…… I don't care who you are or where you invest, there isn't a time that you won't get a bill and go "WHAT THE!!". If you meet someone who can operate via email, send quotes and photos of the work…..add them to the list if you so desire.

Emma

Participant
    @alex-sc
    CL1706 wrote:
    Hey guys – great topic. Further to your post Emma, I was recently in Atlanta on a property buying trip and thought I'd pop into Home Depot just to price white goods, kitchen cabinets etc and got chatting to a tradesman while in store. Long story short, he has been great in finding me some local guys who I have used to help out get my houses into tenantable condition, and I will continue to use them as an alternative to my Property Managers own people when back in Australia. Haven't seen Lowe's, but might be worth a look.

Lowes  LOWES LOWES LOL it is just they happen to be 2 minutes from my office.  For us here in the states these are things we take for granted in the business. Some times I think the little details of going to Lowe's and Home depot are well worth a trip for international investors .  Seeing the price for materials is a big help.

I love the side walk sales and always look for the discounted items for our homes. Sundays are good days about 5 pm to walk the back isles looking for deals.  Now bare with me I am not the typer , or spelling and grammar is not as good as Jay and Emma ..

The other thing is yes I look for workers for our homes as well in the Isles of both stores . I look for the older guys with a few helpers. The guy picking the parts out is who I am looking for. Now years ago I did do my own work on the homes I purchased. This is great for any one who is here and has the time to do this. Such an education ,and then you know if some one is charging a fair price.

Participant
    @emma171

Alex
    Couldn't agree more. Every one of my investors gets to sit in a cafe playing with pipe cutters and sharkbite and they all go home with a souvenir copy of Home Depot 1-2-3…….having walked the aisles…. some practice replacing faucets and angle stops just so they SEE what it really entails.

There is method in madness…  if you have an issue, even if you have ZERO real clue, you could sit in Australia and open your Home Depot 1-2-3, look up the problem (Leaking toilet) as explained by your property manager and go – aha, well is it the flapper or the flush mechanism or is it leaking from the angle stop….. ? You can see that for a novice it might take you 30 minutes….to fix problem "x"… (seriously that book tells you how to do ANYTHING in a house to code)….  but you will know enough NOT to be screwed.

Me with cars??  ROB ME BLIND…. I know nothing but nothing about them – it might as well be magic. I KNOW but KNOW I am being screwed every time I have to do anything…. it is NOT a good feeling.

AAAaaah, next lifetime.

Participant
    @alex-sc
    emma171 wrote:
    Alex
    Couldn't agree more. Every one of my investors gets to sit in a cafe playing with pipe cutters and sharkbite and they all go home with a souvenir copy of Home Depot 1-2-3…….having walked the aisles…. some practice replacing faucets and angle stops just so they SEE what it really entails.

There is method in madness…  if you have an issue, even if you have ZERO real clue, you could sit in Australia and open your Home Depot 1-2-3, look up the problem (Leaking toilet) as explained by your property manager and go – aha, well is it the flapper or the flush mechanism or is it leaking from the angle stop….. ? You can see that for a novice it might take you 30 minutes….to fix problem "x"… (seriously that book tells you how to do ANYTHING in a house to code)….  but you will know enough NOT to be screwed.

Me with cars??  ROB ME BLIND…. I know nothing but nothing about them – it might as well be magic. I KNOW but KNOW I am being screwed every time I have to do anything…. it is NOT a good feeling.

AAAaaah, next lifetime.

Emma are you down in Atlanta presently. I am flying to NY next week but need to be down in Atlanta  when I come back. i have one house left. That I need to come check  on. Would like to meet if you have the time.

See some of you projects nothing more fun for me then going house to house checking things out.  I still love Atlanta market just  to hard to be in both Markets.

Thanks

Profile photo of CL1706CL1706
    Participant
    @cl1706

Alex – would be interested in catching up next time I am in Atlanta (Oct / Nov). I think I have you on Skype – so will be in contact.

Another thing which I have been doing while back here in Melbourne is paying $400 for a Home Inspection on any purchase I make. Last week I bought a house in Atlanta for $46K, and paid $400 for an inspection which showed up over $12K in urgent repairs. A nice little ‘insurance policy’.

Took the option to withdraw my offer, and the seller offered me $200 for the report for his information. Not a bad result

Participant
    @emma171

You should ALWAYS get a home inspection unless you are seriously knowledgeable… world class home inspections and Brett will do them for $300…. Good guy… Includes your termite letter. Tell them to be evil and include everything.. radon is an issue here which you may or may not want to know about….. Problem with large granite rock in the middle of all matters…lol…

Alex I am SO here until July 22… Then Vegas, then LAX to look at MFR’s for a few days then back to Vegas and then back ATL the 19th of August…unless needed back ATL sooner if needed. Then Oz for a few days etc.

Ha, I will meet you in the parking lot of Home Depot I assume?? Not hard to spot the blonde with the beaten up chevy pickup (bought for one property as a throw away… Has lasted me every property ever since) Main headlight held up by pajama cord and NV plates.

Participant
    @alex-sc
    emma171 wrote:
    You should ALWAYS get a home inspection unless you are seriously knowledgeable… world class home inspections and Brett will do them for $300…. Good guy… Includes your termite letter. Tell them to be evil and include everything.. radon is an issue here which you may or may not want to know about….. Problem with large granite rock in the middle of all matters…lol… Alex I am SO here until July 22… Then Vegas, then LAX to look at MFR's for a few days then back to Vegas and then back ATL the 19th of August…unless needed back ATL sooner if needed. Then Oz for a few days etc. Ha, I will meet you in the parking lot of Home Depot I assume?? Not hard to spot the blonde with the beaten up chevy pickup (bought for one property as a throw away… Has lasted me every property ever since) Main headlight held up by pajama cord and NV plates.

Inspections – are investors best tool. I like before and after just good feeling. I don"t use appraisals they are just not worth it .

And wow nice on the truck. My best truck was 20 dollars little Toyota pick up 5 speed. My inlaws gave it to me. Got me around quite a bit.

Lets make a point to meet up and grab some lunch in Atlanta .I like to see the houses you are renovating.

talk soon

Participant
    @alex-sc
    CL1706 wrote:
    Alex – would be interested in catching up next time I am in Atlanta (Oct / Nov). I think I have you on Skype – so will be in contact. Another thing which I have been doing while back here in Melbourne is paying $400 for a Home Inspection on any purchase I make. Last week I bought a house in Atlanta for $46K, and paid $400 for an inspection which showed up over $12K in urgent repairs. A nice little 'insurance policy'. Took the option to withdraw my offer, and the seller offered me $200 for the report for his information. Not a bad result

Hit me any time I am usually on skype in the evening on monday – Weds nights

Charlotte is 38 minute flight to Atlanta or a few hr drive. Hit me on skype any time. Love to talk real estate . I am always a worrier with our homes, so I want inspections on everything.  It saves alot of head aches. I think folks should budget them in every couple of years. Long term maintenance is the key for properties we want them to produce money not cost money

Talk soon

Participant
    @alex-sc
    emma171 wrote:
    You should ALWAYS get a home inspection unless you are seriously knowledgeable… world class home inspections and Brett will do them for $300…. Good guy… Includes your termite letter. Tell them to be evil and include everything.. radon is an issue here which you may or may not want to know about….. Problem with large granite rock in the middle of all matters…lol… Alex I am SO here until July 22… Then Vegas, then LAX to look at MFR's for a few days then back to Vegas and then back ATL the 19th of August…unless needed back ATL sooner if needed. Then Oz for a few days etc. Ha, I will meet you in the parking lot of Home Depot I assume?? Not hard to spot the blonde with the beaten up chevy pickup (bought for one property as a throw away… Has lasted me every property ever since) Main headlight held up by pajama cord and NV plates.

So meeting at lowes would not be a problem

LOL Talk soon

Profile photo of kylermricekylermrice
    Participant
    @kylermrice

http://www.habitat.org/restores/default.aspx

this is a great option i use for my rentals, i like to be as green as much as possible.  

Participant
    @alex-sc
    kylermrice wrote:
    http://www.habitat.org/restores/default.aspx

this is a great option i use for my rentals, i like to be as green as much as possible.  

Thats another good place and I forgot to mention but another good place to get some good stuff.

Profile photo of lifreylifrey
    @lifrey

Hey, great posts. I like the idea of having a backup- realor, manager, tradies, etc. It is really competitive out there. Americans are so good at networking and often can see us coming like 'lambs to the slaughter'. My manager was offered $1000 as a referral fee after he put in an inflated bid to fix our roof after a hail storm. I hear good things about Atlanta, but I have a place in Phoenix and would like to stay on the west coast if possible. Does anyone have any contacts in California?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.