All Topics / Finance / Variable or Fixed

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Profile photo of MarkyinvestMarkyinvest
    @markyinvest

Sorry guys the other question I had was its a good time to go variable or fixed considering how much the rates are?

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Mark

Fixed rates are good for those that need certainty in their repayments – from that perspective, they can be great for budgeting.

On the flipside, fixed rate loans are usually inflexible. There aren't many that allow for a 100% offset to be attached and if you need to exit the loan during the fixed period you'll probably be hit up for large break costs.

If you are seriously considering fixing your loan – you should also consider keeping a portion of the loan variable so you can take advantage of the normal features associated with a variable product.

Fixed rates are quite low at present – whether they'll go down or up is anyone's guess.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of MarkyinvestMarkyinvest
    @markyinvest

I dont need a lot of the bells and whistles nor the flexibility. I think im going to go with the fixed rate – what the best rates right now ?

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

How many years are you looking to fix ?

What is the lvr and what is the loan size ?

Do you want any particular features with the new loan ?

Are you happy to take 50% variable and 50% fixed.

With this information certainly going to get a better answer.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Participant
    @jamie-m

Like Richard said  – there's too many unanswered questions to provide an accurate response. It might be worthwhile contacting a decent broker to explore your options.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of jonmardelljonmardell
    @jonmardell
    Markyinvest wrote:
    Sorry guys the other question I had was its a good time to go variable or fixed considering how much the rates are?

Depending on you personal circumstances it could be a good time to lock away some of your loan. You could have some variable and some fixed which would allow you to make extra payments if you have the ability. It is really dependant on what your plans are and your unique circumstances. Currently st george is 5.79% for 3 years fixed which is pretty good imo

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Great points/discussion. We are in unchartered territory again – not since after the GFC have I seen fixed rates start with a 5.
    I think IF you have no plans to sell your property, and are looking long term if you can get a 3 year rate that is in the 5's and you want some certainty there is nothing wrong with that. The lowest they have ever been for 3 years is the mid to high 5's and plenty have been crying since then that they missed the boat last time. Plenty fixed in rate at the 8+ % though and have been crying ever since too!

All the best with what you decide. ONE WARNING though……………many lenders (ah, lets just say it, pretty much all) when your loan comes of a fixed rate will put it back to their 'standard variable rate' meaning you may habe to reapply to get a discounted variable rate loan then…..and if your work or personal circumstances have changed and you may not qualify for the loan you have been paying off merrily for the last 3 years, you may be stuck in a higher rate variable loan that will erode any savings you had over the coupdl of years prior.
    All the best with what you decide. …but yes, 2 or 3 years starting with a 5 is hard to say no to at the moment I agree.

Profile photo of NHGNHG
    @nhg

Hey everyone,

So I’m looking a fixing 50% of my loans.

Would I be better off making each of them 50/50 variable/fixed.
    Or just half the loans 100% variable and leaving the rest variable (with off-set).

Are there any advantages to either or is it just wasted money.

Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi NHG

The way you split the loans is up to you.

I fixed a couple of loans on my own IPs recently because they're set and forget properties that I don't intend on selling or extracting equity from within the next few years.

One thing I'll mention though is that if you have a PPOR loan that you're looking to fix – I'd leave a portion of it variable so you can still utilise features like an offset account.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of NHGNHG
    @nhg

Thanks Jamie.

Say I completed renovations and also bought the IP undervalue to start.
    If it is 100% fixed, is it still possible to revalue and extract equity for a completely new IP purchase?

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

^ if your looking at drawing out equity etc,,,,don't fix, because the valuation with your current lender may not stack up and you may be force to refinance to a different lender for a better valuation- in order to grow financially/ lower LVR/ LMI cost. 

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Participant
    @jamie-m

Yep it's still possible. You just need to be confident that your current lender will allow you to access the equity for a future purchase. If they don't and you've already fixed the loan – then you may need to refinance which will incur break costs.

Perhaps do both at the same time – extract equity (keep that portion variable) and fix the larger portion all at once.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @qlds007

Forget fixed rates starting with a 5 they are starting to start with a 4 now.

4.99% fixed for 2 years effective tomorrow is getting very mouth watering.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Wow Richard, who is offering in the 4s?

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Participant
    @jamie-m

Advantedge – they are backed by NAB and operate only via the broker channel.

A good product if you're not in need of an offset.

We tend to use them when the client is getting closer to hitting a serviceability wall.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @qlds007

Yes lvr under 75% and over 200K but still a very attractive product for the right client.

I love Advantedge as they are so transparent in their credit policy, No application, valuation fees, no ongoing fees or charges and service with the right BDM is second to none. 

Admittedly not for everyone but if you are a vanilla investment product you really can't go far wrong with the backing of NAB behind them.

Course not for everyone and lots of things they wont do but it is what the market needs someone who stands up and does deals without all of the nonsense that goes with it.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Profile photo of loandepotloandepot
    @loandepot

Hi Jamie, you are absolutely correct.  Fixed rates are absolute historic lows.  If you plan to be in the home for a short amount of time an adjustable loan may be the best option.  However, if you’re looking for security and plan to be in your home long-term, go with a fixed rate mortgage.

Profile photo of rickgm83rickgm83
    @rickgm83

Has anyone ever beaten the banks going fixed?

From my understanding if you can fix your interest rate at 5% for the next 3 years (given the current variable rates)  the banks economists are predicting RBA rates will fall further over the next 3 years.

Profile photo of zehrazehra
    Participant
    @zehra

IMB offers 5.49 for 1,2,or 3 yrs fixed is this still bit high ? I dont really have much choice I have to stay with them ( I think )

and on my last statement it shows I am paying  5.860

Participant
    @jamie-m
    zehra wrote:
    IMB offers 5.49 for 1,2,or 3 yrs fixed is this still bit high ? I dont really have much choice I have to stay with them ( I think )

and on my last statement it shows I am paying  5.860

Why do you have to stay with them?

It's not high – but there are betters out there.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.