All Topics / Help Needed! / Cost of water connection in Brisbane (previously 2 lots on 1 title)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of jgfjgf
    @jgf

Firstly, please excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject, and if I have any of the terminology confused, but I'm sure you will be able to get the gist of what I mean..I'm also not a property investor but I'm hoping you won't mind sharing your knowledge anyway:)

Long story short, my parents had a block of land that was previously 2 lots on one title, they were separated and I bought the other block from them to build on.

I'm now looking to have water connection installed.

When it came time to organise sewerage connection, Qld UU were the ones to actually inform us that since the block was previously on one title, we qualified for a subsidy (they referred to it a BCC Grant) of $4900.00 to put towards the works. The work cost around $1700.00, which they took care of, and we paid a design fee of $500ish.

The quoted works for the water connection has come in and this is $6111.00 and no grant (or remaining unused funds from previous) is available for this! 

Our plumber thought the price was very high to the work he thought it required but I have no doubt they could explain it away!

Anyway, the reason for my post is that this afternoon I spoke to a family friend who was considering going through the same process of developing a house on his land that was also on its own lot and he said that his town planner advised that he wouldn't need to pay for the water connection at all due to it being an existing lot!

I will be contacting my own town planner tomorrow to see what he knows but as I'm sure I won't hear back from him until later in the week, the curiosity (or stress) will probably kill me. 

So if anyone has done this before or knows anything about "2 lot title separations" in Brisbane and could provide some information on this I would be so appreciative.

Profile photo of NuchaNucha
    @nucha

Sorry I can’t help you but I’m curious about the costs. Hopefully someone in the forum has experience with this.

Profile photo of jgfjgf
    @jgf

No worries Nucha, I will let you know costs when I find out. (I've come to know exactly how hard it is to get any kind of accurate pricing info to form project budgets etc. without paying people for it!!!!)
    My townplanner didn't know too much about it and has referred me to somebody else who deals with this side of things and who knows a private contractor who may be able to do it a bit cheaper.
    He said 10yrs ago it was less than $1000 to do the same thing and these days it is pure price gauging.

Profile photo of NuchaNucha
    @nucha

That’s an outrageous price hike! Good luck, I hope you get a better price and QUU don’t give you any grief approving the work.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.