All Topics / Finance / Can someone help me to understand small development loans?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of ttcb75ttcb75
    @ttcb75

Hi, I am hoping somebody can give me a bit more info on what options I may have in regards to a small development loan.  Essentially I am hoping to build two houses on a subdivided block of land (i will subdivide etc).  I would like to live in one of the houses and sell off the other.  I have heard about Gross Realisable Value (GRV) loans where the interest may be capitalized until you sell the property.  Do these loans have the same servicing requirements as a standard loan?  Eg, according to the Commonwealth Banks normal servicing constraints I may be eligable to borrow upto 400k with my current commitments.  I will have 400k of my own money, hence meaning the most my project could cost is 800k.  However, I am estimating the cost would equate to approximately 1 million, meaning that I would be short 200k?

I estimate I should be able to sell the second house for a minimum of 600k, leaving me with little or no mortgage.  So, i suppose my main question is do the development loans not worry so much about standard servicing requirements?  And, if so can someone tell me more?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi ttcb

It is unlikely you would get a GR loan on such a small project but in saying that there are many other ways around it.

Look i hate to say this but CBA are one of the most conservative lenders when it comes to serviceability to doesnt suprise me that they come in short.

Without the actual numbers of course it is difficult to provide you with an accurate assessment of the situation safe to say that with that sort of LVR i believe it could be done with a couple of excellent lenders.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

As mentioned for development of 2, you won’t be able to get it done with an GRV lender/product.

Give CBA a fick and shoot Richard an email…

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of ttcb75ttcb75
    @ttcb75

Thanks guys.  I have discussed it with my broker and it looks like I should be ok.  Thanks for your responses.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Excellent news ttcb as i say you should be getting around 6.25% on a small deal like this so all sweet.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.