All Topics / Value Adding / To render or not?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of wakebrownbwakebrownb
    @wakebrownb

Hi forumites,

Here's my quandry,
    I have a house that is positively geared. Net return 10.64%, it is currently tennanted til Nov this year and the tennants are likely to stay on. The property is a 42yr old weatherboard house that we have fully renovated the interior. The exterior is looking dated and the boards have started to split and the paint is flaking. What I wondered is should I just paint the exterior or render the outside, ie: remove the weatherboard and replace with blueboard and render. I could do the blueboard part myself but get the pros to render, approx cost to render $9000. What is a better option?

Thanks in advance

Profile photo of BennyteeBennytee
    Participant
    @ten_burner

I wouldn’t bother with the render it’s not really going to add much to you rental return, unless you are looking to sell it soon, painting would be a cheaper option.

Profile photo of Andrew_AAndrew_A
    Participant
    @andrew_a

Can be area specific, are most of the other houses in the street rendered? In terms of a longer term rental would be hard to go past the paint option though.

Profile photo of wakebrownbwakebrownb
    @wakebrownb

Hi Andrew,
    no it would be the only rendered place in the street, it is in Emerald in QLD. I plan to hold it for a long time

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Depends on what's in demand for the area. I wouldn't render to enhance the rental yield – but I'd do it to add value to the property.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

@wakebrownb

Hi JAmie,in Emerald pretty much anything is in demand, dueto the shortage of properties. I was only doing it for the value adding proposition. I'm lucky enough that my employer gives me $16k per year to do improvements to  my PPOR and I was thinking of moving back into it and doing the work and renting out my current PPOR

Profile photo of DubstepDubstep
    Participant
    @dubstep

Hi wakebrownb,

Have you considered what it might cost to paint as opposed to rendering ?

@wakebrownb

Hi Dubstep,paint cost is approx $5-6K

Profile photo of DubstepDubstep
    Participant
    @dubstep

Hi Wakebrownb,

If it's only going to cost you an extra couple of grand to render, then maybe it's worth doing.

You said, its going to be a keeper.

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Hi,

Rendering is a far better end result than painting. However, if rendering is not done right then you will need to pay maintanence once every5-7 years (due to cracks appearing etc). I highly recommend you do not render if it is a rental property.

Regards

Shahin Afarin – Property Finance Consultant
    http://elitepropertyfinance.wordpress.com

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Hi,

Rendering is a far better end result than painting. However, if rendering is not done right then you will need to pay maintanence once every5-7 years (due to cracks appearing etc). I highly recommend you do not render if it is a rental property.

Regards

Shahin Afarin – Property Finance Consultant
    http://elitepropertyfinance.wordpress.com

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

If you do decide to render it might be an idea to actually paint the render rather than using a coloured render. That way – if you get chips in it, you can touch up with paint so maintenance should be easier.

Use a decent paint though – there's specific ones for rendered surfaces.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Aussie Roof InsulationAussie Roof Insulation
    Participant
    @aussie-roof-insulation

Hi Wakebrownb,

Many years ago I rendered an old weatherboard house in East Brisbane. I had it done by a professional solid plasterer who warned me in advance that it would crack… and it did all over the place – mainly vertical cracks running the full height. Prior to rendering, I had bricked in under the house, so the foundations were very stable. The problem is that old timber homes have a lot of movement (eg in strong wind) which causes the render to crack. The plasterer later came back and filled the cracks with a flexible sealer which did help, but you could still see where they had been. Years later I sold the house to someone who ripped all of the render off then clad the walls with thick polystyrene sheets, then rendered over that. It came up good but I have not been back to look closely to see if it has cracked again.

In hindsight, one thing I would have done is made sure I had numerous vertical joins in the render running from floor to eves.

As stated by others, it is very important to make sure the job is done well –  I would be looking for guarantees it will not crack. Otherwise, painting seems a safer option and you don't run the risk of it loosing character in keeping with the area which could actually devalue the home.

Hope this helps a bit,

Cheers

Steve
    Aussie Roof Insulation

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle
    Aussie Roof Insulation wrote:
    Hi Wakebrownb,

Many years ago I rendered an old weatherboard house in East Brisbane. I had it done by a professional solid plasterer who warned me in advance that it would crack… and it did all over the place – mainly vertical cracks running the full height.

Rendering over weatherboard is pretty much a no no these days. However stripping off the old cladding and recladding with a board to render to is perfectly all right.

What I would do though is look at the best maintenance free option for this place. Old weatherboard can be bought back to almost new with a proper strip back, replace damaged boards where necessary and a professional paint job. A quality prep and high quality paint will see most places like this need only a clean and 1 coat repaint usually every ten (sometimes more) years. Depends a lot on environment.

It sounds like you’re in mining country so I’d probably spend as little as possible and just keep it neat and tidy. I would probably do a reclad if I was going to sell.

Profile photo of Rental ProfitsRental Profits
    @rental-profits

I wouldn’t render it

Spend the 9k in paying down the loan

Profile photo of kenckenc
    Participant
    @kenc

Hey Freckle

Do you know if replacing weatherboards with polystyrene and rendering over is cheaper than doing the same with blueboard? I've seen much more blueboard than polystyrene being done to houses. What are the pros and cons of each material?

Cheers

Ken

Profile photo of SazSaz
    @saz

I wouldn't render. Not worth the money and hassle. I have worked in interior design and think weatherboards are a far nicer look. Freshen up with paint and save yourself some cash$$

Profile photo of Beau Lyon Real EstateBeau Lyon Real Estate
    Participant
    @beau-lyon-real-estate

I wouldn't want to have the only rendered house in the street, rendering is more for areas where there is a mix of brick and fibro/ weatherboad homes with the brick homes selling for significantly more. Especially if there are a lot of knock down rebuilds going on. This is because the home will then be compared with the more expensive brick homes so buyers will value it higher. 

Profile photo of carllarzcarllarz
    Participant
    @carllarz
    wakebrownb wrote:
    Hi JAmie,in Emerald pretty much anything is in demand, dueto the shortage of properties. I was only doing it for the value adding proposition. I'm lucky enough that my employer gives me $16k per year to do improvements to  my PPOR and I was thinking of moving back into it and doing the work and renting out my current PPOR

I second the notion of painting… especially If you say anything is in demand in the area

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.