All Topics / Help Needed! / First investment property

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of Julie RonJulie Ron
    @julie-ron

Hi, we are about to sign a contract to purchase our first investment property through our SMSF. It's a one bedroom 58 square metres off the plan in Carlton Melbourne, for completion in 18 months. We still need to set up a bare trust to borrow 80% ..a bit scared… hope we are doing the right thing?!  Any advice welcomed.
    Regards Ron

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Julie & Ron

I must admit if it was the first purchase in your SMSF i certainly dont think i would be buying an off the plan property especially if you are looking at an 80%.

There are only 3 lenders that i am aware who are offering an 80% lvr and one of the certainly wont lend on off the plan.
    I must admit you wouldnt want to take the risk that the property was downvalued and you ended putting in extra cash funds just to get an 80% lend on the valuation which could be a lot less than the purchase price.

I can think of better areas to invest in rather than wait 18 months to invest in an OTP property.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Julie RonJulie Ron
    @julie-ron

Hi Richard

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately we have already put a deposit down so I guess we will learn from our mistakes. Fortunately there is still enough in my super to purchase another investment property, so the next one we will seek advise and do much more research before we begin.

Regards Ron

Profile photo of MikeFMikeF
    Participant
    @mikef
    Julie Ron wrote:
    Hi, we are about to sign a contract to purchase our first investment property through our SMSF. It's a one bedroom 58 square metres off the plan in Carlton Melbourne, for completion in 18 months. We still need to set up a bare trust to borrow 80% ..a bit scared… hope we are doing the right thing?!  Any advice welcomed.
    Regards Ron

Hi

What name have you signed the contract in? The purchase needs to be in the name of the Bare Trustee which should have been established prior to the contract being signed.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Yep Mike is right.  The buyer name on the contract of sale needs to be either:

– The bare trust name
    or
    – Yours or another name "AND/OR NOMINEE" (eg Bob Smith and/or nominee)

If you didn't sign the contract under one of these two names then your smsf is not going to be the buyer.  You might have to have a conversation with your solicitor about the implications of this

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of Julie RonJulie Ron
    @julie-ron

Hi Mike,
    Thanks for that, our conveyencer did point this out and after discussing this with our accountant he explained that if we were buying in Queensland the Bare Trust would have to be set up before signing contracts. Here in Victoria it can be set up later.

We stil have a lot to learn. Interesting reading all the tips and advice in this forum!
    Cheers Ron,

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Ron
    Hate to say I disagree with your Accountant.

The Security Custodian Trust has to be established prior to signing the Contract on ALL occasions.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.