All Topics / Overseas Deals / Short Sale Process – Has anyone gone through this?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of thejajcothejajco
    @thejajco

Hi
    We bought 5 properties in Buffalo in 2005. They were great until the GFC, then everything went south. Ripped off by PM and a succession of feral tenants who trashed our properties. We have sold out at a loss on a couple which now has taken away our equity. Not only that but we lost our jobs here recently. We have new job but at lower rates of pay. We would definitely qualify for the short sale process as a way of getting rid of the remaining properties. They are trashed and boarded up so no rent.

Has anyone gone through the short sale process? Or can anyone give advice of it?

Thanks
    Thejajco

Profile photo of worldinvestorworldinvestor
    Participant
    @worldinvestor

Hi Thejajco
    Sorry things did not turn out for you.

I do not know how short sale process works I am sure many of the US guys will be able to guide you, however if the houses are trashed and boarded up who would buy these properties, I am guessing you would have to give them away???

WI

Profile photo of kylermricekylermrice
    Participant
    @kylermrice

So is money owned to somebody on the properties.  If so, the easiest way is to list it with an agent and then the bank or note holder must approve the short sale.  Relieve you from the bad debt at least

Profile photo of thejajcothejajco
    @thejajco

Yes, money is owed. There are definitely buyers looking to buy up cheap and then rehab them.

Sounds like it is possible. Just not sure how to go about it.

Cheers
    Thejajco

Profile photo of kylermricekylermrice
    Participant
    @kylermrice

If it's New York the easiest way is to contact an attorney.  He will walk you through the process.

Profile photo of CheevesFinancialCheevesFinancial
    Participant
    @cheevesfinancial

Jajco:
    I've negotiated many short sales and have a business in Northern NJ where we do short sales quite a bit.  (20 in the last 8 months).  Short sales are much more acceptable these days then they were in the past.  Banks now have a clear idea as to how they are processed.  Although banks still stink to deal with, a good real estate agent and attorney will be able to get you out of these homes.  If these are investment properties, which seem to be for you, you will not qualify for the HAMP / HAFA program.  If you don't know the difference and yours are all investment properties, you can actually disregard HAMP / HAFA.  Irrelevent to you as these are only for Primary Homeowners.

You will need to have someone negotiate a short sale or Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure for you.  If you are truly dealing with a financial hardship, that is favorable for you.  The lenders will try to get money from you, but they can't if you don't have any.  If your income barely supports your living expenses, it becomes VERY hard for them to take assets from you.  If you do have money in checking or savings, they will ask you for a settlement… The amount of the settlement depends partially on what you are worth and how good your real estate agent / attorney is. 

My suggestion is to find a qualified short sale realtor in your area where you own your properties.  If someone says they are "Short Sale Certified" whoopty doo… find someone with references…or use the old school interview phone call process.  If they sound like they know what they are doing, maybe hire them.  A real estate agent has more time to dedicate to your short sale then an attorney….UNLESS that attorney also lists the property for you.  Again, I suggest using an agent who uses an attorney for only contract review, doc review, title, and closing.  The short sale process is a tedious killer.  You must have all of your financials and paperwork in place and submit ALL of it with UPDATED bank statements and pay stubs with your offer when you happen to get one.  It is important you send the lender bank statements and pay stubs the day you get them…If you don't they will eventually ask for it and it just delays things.

Good luck…any questions, feel free to PM me.

CheevesFinancial | Cushman & Wakefield - Commercial Property SW FL
    http://www.CommercialRealEstateVoice.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Kieth BenjKieth Benj
    @kieth-benj

My friend,
    I’m sorry but i don’t know about the short sale process enough and how it’d work for you to solve your problem but one thing that’s about th houses if these houses are been trashed then whoever gonna buy, You’ll have to give it up. anyway about the short sales process you’ll surely get the info soon.

Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs

Can you clarify?

1. who is the beneficary of the debt ?

From most lenders point of view in the US and this is why there is virtually no financiing for offshore clients.

Your completely untouchable. Just walk away and lick you wounds.

just like thousands of Ozze investor are going to do over the next 5 years when they realize they bought ghetto trash properties just like  you did in NY… Sorry to be blunt ,, But if they were not you would not be posting how to get out of properties that are trashed and have no hope.

Short sales are a complete waiste of time an energy for a foriegn investor.. If your a US tax paying citizen or entity then yes by all means this is your best course.

On another note I wish I could Short the Oz investments in the US i would make millions in a few years.

What say you Freckle

JLH

Profile photo of CheevesFinancialCheevesFinancial
    Participant
    @cheevesfinancial

Ahh..forgot that this was a foreign national inquiry.  Yes, waste of time.  Walk away.  US National would be beneficial to short sale. 

CheevesFinancial | Cushman & Wakefield - Commercial Property SW FL
    http://www.CommercialRealEstateVoice.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.