All Topics / Value Adding / Recommendations for kitchen supply and install, please.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of CazziePCazzieP
    Participant
    @cazziep

We are living in this property at least another 5 years but I can't stand the apricot laminex any longer. New kitchen has to still look good in 5 years with fairly heavy family use.

I've costed it out at Ikea and looking at 5k for supply (mid range finishes) and whatever it will cost to install. No appliances. Not sure I am happy with durability of Ikea even if we go for most expensive finishes. Plus the kitchen has some odd shapes to fill.

Had a quote from an upmarket outfit that advertise on TV. 25k installed with basic vinyl wrap doors, sink, oven and cooktop. 5 year guarantee on vinyl wrapped doors. Ceasar stone bench tops.

Anybody had a great kitchen supplied and installed in Perth at a good price?

All appliances and plumbing staying in place.

Thank you
    Caz

Profile photo of jmsracheljmsrachel
    Participant
    @jmsrachel

Hi Caz,

I have a cabinet making business in Melbourne, can't really help you as your in Perth but 25k is way too much. Go for a smaller company. The bigger companies have too many middle men therefore more expensive. Ikea is ok but you need a lot of luck finding the right cabinet to fit in the right place. Plus installation cost starts at $1000 upwards.

Anything from 10k and 15k is about spot on.

Regards

Joe

Profile photo of antheapantheap
    Participant
    @antheap

Hi Caz,

I would highly recommend TS McMahons auctions in wangara. I did a full kitchen reno a few years back. I now have a solid stone bench top, & a enamel sort of coating instead of laminex on the cupboards. They all come ready made, you just bolt them to the wall. you do have to have a good imagination on how it will fit in so best make sure the measurements are spot on.

I only spent 6 grand & came home with all the cupboards bench tops & overhead cupboards, rangehood, sink & mixer, & my kitchen is bigger than average so finding one under 5 should be easy if its average size.

good luck

Profile photo of PropertyMonopolyPropertyMonopoly
    Participant
    @propertymonopoly

Hi Caz,
    As jmsrachel mentioned, a reasonable cost would be in the $10-$15k range for a new kitchen excluding appliances. the cost depends on the size of your kitchen, eg how many cabinets are required as you realise big kitchens need more cabinets and more bench top and it all adds up. Other cost factors are finishes, eg vinyl wrapped or patterned doors, 2 pack paint stone bench tops and glass splashbacks or tiles. Going to auction can be good especially if you can install yourself or even buying seconhand.

Asking for referrals on this forum is a great idea, also ask work colleages and friends, never know what it may unearth.

For a lower cost kitchen go for a laminate kitchen with laminate benchtops, these are at the lower end but can be made with good quality materials. If you want to save money don't mention soft close, standard drawer runners and cabinet hinges are good, a few foam or plastic bump stops in the right places and you'd hardly know the difference. If you get soft close, you'll know the difference by your bank account.

If you don't have the confidence or time to do the job yourself, I would suggest you get several quotes from smaller kitchen businesses or go to cabinet makers. Contact a couple of smaller local businesses ask them to come and quote, they should be glad for the opportunity. Start at the back of the kitchen section in the yellow pages, line ads are ok even. Also look in your local free paper go for the smaller ads in there.

Monitor your responses, who gets back to you quickly, who turns up when they say they will, who takes the time to explain the finer details to you. Ask to see pictures of previous work or testimonials. Ask lots of questions, what other things, costs you will have to consider splashbacks, tiles, electricians, plumbers etc. How long from time of order till installation, how do they want to be paid.

Put in plenty of research and drive a hard bargain, it can be fun. When you get a bargain kitchen all your friends will want to know where you got it.

If you were in Adelaide I'd be pleased to offer you a quote, however as that's not the case, I hope this may help.

http://www.kitchenstoimpress.com.au

Profile photo of CazziePCazzieP
    Participant
    @cazziep
    antheap wrote:
    Hi Caz, I would highly recommend TS McMahons auctions in wangara. I did a full kitchen reno a few years back. I now have a solid stone bench top, & a enamel sort of coating instead of laminex on the cupboards. They all come ready made, you just bolt them to the wall. you do have to have a good imagination on how it will fit in so best make sure the measurements are spot on. I only spent 6 grand & came home with all the cupboards bench tops & overhead cupboards, rangehood, sink & mixer, & my kitchen is bigger than average so finding one under 5 should be easy if its average size. good luck

Thanks for the suggestion. It sounds like you got a bargain!

Profile photo of CazziePCazzieP
    Participant
    @cazziep
    PropertyMonopoly wrote:
    Hi Caz,
    As jmsrachel mentioned, a reasonable cost would be in the $10-$15k range for a new kitchen excluding appliances. the cost depends on the size of your kitchen, eg how many cabinets are required as you realise big kitchens need more cabinets and more bench top and it all adds up. Other cost factors are finishes, eg vinyl wrapped or patterned doors, 2 pack paint stone bench tops and glass splashbacks or tiles. Going to auction can be good especially if you can install yourself or even buying seconhand….

…Put in plenty of research and drive a hard bargain, it can be fun. When you get a bargain kitchen all your friends will want to know where you got it.

If you were in Adelaide I'd be pleased to offer you a quote, however as that's not the case, I hope this may help.

http://www.kitchenstoimpress.com.au

Thank you, all great info! I am refining the design and getting a few quotes. Looking forward to posting some before and after pics :)

Carolyn

Profile photo of XmasbugXmasbug
    @xmasbug

I have used Ikea and Bunnings Flatpax in various kitchen and laundry renos that I have done in my own homes and in various renovations for investment properties.  The advantage with making your kitchen up using these is that you can very quickly update your kitchen with new doors, in my experience you would easily get five years out of both Ikea and Bunnings flatpax.  That said I have not been overly impressed with the kitchen counter tops but have just seen my father do his kitchen from Ikea but with a stone counter top.  Looks fabulous.

Can strongly recommend flatpax as they have a number of "filler" sized cabinets that allows you to close out gaps as small as 100mm. 

At one point I also got a flatpacked kitchen made up by mister ply & wood.  Overall I have been very disappointed in this kitchen and regret not going to Ikea…..!

Good luck with the new kitchen

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.