All Topics / Overseas Deals / new thread for Vegas market and foreclosure issues

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Profile photo of DubstepDubstep
    Participant
    @dubstep

Hi Ziv,

lol being an ex-Israeli I know the type – we come in thinking we're the smartest folk in the world – "I can spot a fleecer from three continents away" – we just forget it's only the middle-eastern type fleecers we've been exposed to.
    I'll never forget the first time I was in Thailand, keeping my Hebrew mouth shut (
    and I don't look Israeli), got a price for something, then saw a group of loud Israelis approaching, loud and clear – all the vendors immediately started quoting prices 100% higher, then "gave in" to the oh-so-clever Israelis and deducted 20%. Works every time.

I know this is completely off topic, but I would like to show how I imaging the Ziv family to look …..

Ma Ziv: Ma Ziv  Pa Ziv: Pa Ziv   Mrs Ziv: Mrs Ziv

Little Ziv: Little Ziv  Miss Ziv: Miss Ziv  The Dog: The dog

The cat: The cat

I hope you don't mind Ziv.  he he

Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen

I deserved that, I think :D

Ziv Nakajima-Magen | Nippon Tradings International (NTI)
    http://www.nippontradings.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Profile photo of DubstepDubstep
    Participant
    @dubstep

I thought you would have a good sense of humour  !

I'm sure you'll get me back.

Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen

I do, never said you did ;)

Ziv Nakajima-Magen | Nippon Tradings International (NTI)
    http://www.nippontradings.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs
    Freckle wrote:
    I think this particular problem is symptomatic of the whole housing/property market in the US but not the real problem at the moment. What I see happening is an oversupply of hot money distorting the market. (International vultures picking over the carcass of the US RE market) National and global economic fundamentals do not support the recovering RE market hypothesis. In fact quite the contrary. I see small positives as negatives because they don't jive with the economic narrative. In other words they're abberations in the market that mislead investors. What PI's should be looking at is the ability of renters to stay in the market and from what I'm seeing that is becoming more challenging. That suggest that rental pressure is likely to be down for some time. I don't see any real opportunity for rental yields to rise in the short to medium term certainly nothing that could keep pace with rising property prices. If hot money pushes up prices then it squeezes yields. Upward price pressure from hot money is not sustainable in my opinion. When we hit the wall again I expect to see this whole RE market collapse thing start a new lap but it's going to be even messier I'm thinking. From where I'm sitting the US RE market is moving more towards a speculative (gamblers) market rather than an investment market. Emma I'd luv to meet you one day but I think I'd throw a rod trying to keep up ;-) Luv your posts LOL

frekle,

I would have agreed with you a year ago… now every buddy and his hedge fund is jumping in the market.. the Off shore investor is having to re group…Between,, Colony Capital and Treehouse… two funds I have talked with personally there is over 2 billion dollars ear marked for SFR's..

Now treehouse they want a different asset class they want properties from 100k up in the Atlanta market and I  do not think there are many Ozzies fishing in that pond… different yield tolarances and we all know were the Ozzie tolarance is at its at the highest most riskiest part of the market by and large because of the dubious advertising and thinking inner city ghetto 30% returns are normal and peice of cake.

now… the jury is still out on these hedge funds they are tooling up and they will spend their funds.. they have to to earn their income…. They could be the next wave of properties to sell.

These are not A quality multi family commerical developments that they are used to.. and are much eaiser to manage.. these are one little business all in its self… Just like our company we have a seperate P and L and balance sheet for each property… with an apartment complex that would  be one report… So each property by and large will preform completly different..The hedge funds will get massivly abused by property managers thinking they have daddy war bucks to charge for their services.

Next thing you know hedge funds don't like this any more and start dumping their portfolios.. not a foreclosure but same effect.

Take a hedge fund that bought 1000 plus homes in Atl that wishs to exit in 12 months or 18 months and what does that do to the market….

If you think about it Frekle we cannot have a repeat of what happend in 08 its just not possible… Now right there that statement your thinking I am crazy.. but I submit to you.

its a completly different playing field… You have investors buying at the bottom of the market instead of the over inflated top
    80% or better of these homes are being bought for Cash… No possible to lose your home to foreclosure with no bank loan.
    And that is not really going to change soon,, other than in very small pockets.. and or Vendor financing which requires large downs.

majority of foreclosrues on non owner occ.. investorss actually Took CASH OUT when they purchased not only no money down they got non taxable cash proceeds… it was common in the day to buy 4 at once get 8K a house cash out walk from the closing with 32k non tax able in your pocket and own 4 rentals…

Now being the smart frugile US investor of course the 32k the banks were thinking would go to help with reserves.. well they went to buy cars boats and trips… So when the world collapes these people by the millions defaulted.. Not only that they had no clue as to how hard property management was in the US… and they got sold by the Mid 2000 US spuriker that pitched these deals the exact same way the Aussie spruiker pitches them… " which is to grossly understate the actually cost of running these properties"  Just like what I see in the Aussie sites laughable and incredibly misleading information regarding vacancy and maintenance…. So you had what was suppose to be a cash out slightly positive geared transaction soon turn into a cash out ( spent the money on anything but the property) went negative geared times 4 and the investor just did not have the funds to keep the mortgages current…. Our banks were freaking idots the way they underwrote those loans.

then on the Owner occ side you had the everyone needs a home act… ( community reinvestment) Clinton legislation. Read hey banks if you want federal money your going to Loan in all neighborhoods not just the ones you know your going to get repaid.. Your going to have loan programs for those with bad credit and barely working and barely understand what they are signing.

And you call these subprime you can charge more for them because we agree the risk is much greater but your going into the hood and your going to lend there and your going to have to prove this… So now you have banks making loans to all these folks that really should just rent their entire life.. And these folks tend to be our AA residences and hispanic…. There are some economist that blame the blacks and Mexican loans for this whole debacle.

So fast forward to today.

NO subprime.

No cash out non owner occ.

No banks forced to loan in the hood

What we have is

Must have good credit to buy a home

investors have to have experince and or cash… very few US investors can get non owner occ loans they happen but its far tougher than it used to be.

institutional investors jumping into the space and will end up buying a million or more of these homes all for cash

And of course our lovable Ozzie paying cash as well as Canadians dominating AZ… Germans GB dominating Florida and other markets that the GB spruikers sell like Rochester and Detroit ( really were ever they can make the big buck )

So for all those reasons above,,, the rhetoric that the US will or is going to implode again in the same manner or worse than 08 I personally beleive just will not happen…

The only thing that can derail and Frekle your dead on on this one,, and in markets we have certainly already seen that is when you end up with far more rentals than demand… And if your investing side by side with a US investor that is tickled pink with 5 to 6% return and Oz investor wants 15 to 20% the US investor will just dump his rent… Oz investor will panic and have to follow suit.

And then if renters just decide to stop paying rent by the millions… then heck we are all going to be boat people flooding to OZ…

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle
    jayhinrichs wrote:
    then heck we are all going to be boat people flooding to OZ…

Well I hear the illegals are heading the other way these days, maybe it’s already started. I’ll put a tent up in the back yard for ya ;-)

Kidding aside I don’t think the HF’s are going to get time to really get to grips with the PI market. A few will wet their feet but my guess is many are still in the evaluation phase and trying to figure out how things are going to work with big numbers and who they’re going to have to partner with to make this work.

Over the last month I’ve been researching in depth looking for the smoking gun that will set off the next big crash. The straw that breaks the camels back so to speak. Most people are watching Europe and expecting bank failures there to ignite things but I’m coming to the conclusion that maybe it’s the US via JPMorgan that will set this ball rolling.

Two guys I follow, Tyler Durden and Jim Willie, have a track record of making some pretty incisive calls over the years. While they’re in the minority and not a lot of economists/analysts agree with them on everything they non the less make a good case to support their conclusions.

Two interesting articles from Jim Willie – heavy reading but up your ally Jay
    http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article34819.html

http://news.goldseek.com/GoldenJackass/1339012800.php

Eighteen months ago you could read analysts/economists opinions and their was a general mood of ‘this is salvageable’. The contrarian’s didn’t believe so and were in the minority. Few were prepared to put careers on the line and take a contrarian stance. It’s too much for some of these guys. A bit like a priest admitting maybe there’s no God. Anyway that now appears to be changing rapidly. Not only is there a significant hint that things probably aren’t going to be fixed but that things are going to get a lot worse near term. Even MSM is starting to report hints of economic reality. To me that’s a paradigm shift in thinking from the mainstream.

The kind of things I’m seeing now suggest to me that we are very close to breaking point. I’m thinking weeks to months. However, I don’t underestimate the powers that be from delaying this thing a little longer. When central banks hit the print button en masse I think we’ve reached that point.

So how does that affect the property market?

JP Morgan is one of 5 super banks in the US. Their (more like ours) problem is they are all cross collateralised with each other to the tune of some $600T in derivatives. Willie and Durden speculate that JPM could be in the hole to the tune of a Trillion after its “IRSwap hedge gone wrong”event recently. That’s still playing out. Willie mentions a European Banker inside source who suggests that;

…a trigger having gone off in a chain reaction that is not stoppable, which will bring down the USTreasury Bond market and topple the USDollar.

US dollar conjecture aside I get the distinct feeling that things are unraveling at an accelerating pace.

The problem with these 5 super banks is that they’re not too big to fail they’re too big to rescue even though the US government has said it will backstop their derivative trades. That leads to Europe where they get something like 46% of their loans from US banks. Euro banks collapse instantly if US banks hit the wall. It would require massive central bank intervention to hold things together and that means massive printing. You basically have a Euro US banking system that is both insolvent and illiquid without CB support

I’m a dumb rookie when it comes to economics but even I can see that an implosion at just one of the big 5 will suck all of them down the plug hole and that leaves no single or even group of entities big enough to stop it. Forget the 2008 GFC that’s just a minor glitch compared to the next melt down.

I know you guys like to get all patriotic and think the US is big bad and beautiful enough to dig itself out of any mess but I’m afraid this one is going to be a bridge too far even for the US economic machine.

If even half this speculation comes to be I would expect to see the RE market take a hit at all levels and across the board initially. I think many renters are going to turn into squatters. The guy who is under on his mortgage and not paying is effectively a squatter now. By the time he gets to renting he’ll be well versed in the art.

Absentee international investors are going to get hammered big time. My guess is that 80% of PI’s are incompetent at best. In a melt down they will be the initial risk as they fold or panic. They won’t become an opportunity until the market emerges out the other side.

This is how I summarise the US market; a lot of people doing deals and treating things as a relatively normal business cycle albeit more volatile than normal. They just don’t realise they’re on the Titanic

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

Frekle

In my mind… there is so much cash in the US right now.. residing in super funds… in a global melt down those funds will flood out of the market.. and into real estate we see that time and again.

And income producing real estate will be akin to buying gold it will be a safe harbor.. People have to live someplace…

And really from my perspective I do not know how worse it could get …. In portland Or… in 2008 we built almost 10k doors we are a metro of 2 million…. that was pretty much the average from 88 to 2008… 2009 we built 700…. big problems the entire housing industry and every sub… supply chain etc… went down… and well things were bad but people paid their rent still went to the movies yes our unemployement went for 7 or so to 12.. but 88% were still employed and could basically pay their bills and rent.

The HF guys they are buying now.. its not a look see… Columbia endowment bought 500 homes in Pheniox last year… 80% ltv and 6% net return was their number.

I do see hedge funds having a hard time with this… the few guys I have been talking with are very very bright financial types… Harvard MBA's and all.. and 35 years old have worked on wall street… But they have never collected a day of rent from the African american demography,,,, they have no clue how hard this is and hands on.

At the end of the day….though all these houses being bought for cash and its a huge % will never  be foreclosed on… It there is an apocolypes  then the houses will get sold for tax's  and that does happenen in markets that have gone beyond their usefull life.

Profile photo of emma171emma171
    Participant
    @emma171

To the Frecks/Jay et al…

When GFC happened in 2009 and I decided not to be the "woulda coulda shoulda but didn't" person, not many were saying invest in real estate as it was on a downward spiral to heaven only knows where (most were saying a lot of the diametric opposite) and all holding up Detroit-like scenarios….many of the properties bought back then WERE still going down – so back then EVERYONE who invested asked the crystal ball projection HOW BAD COULD IT GET? Would wherever I was going to buy be another Detroit? So I went into doomsday thoughts… haven't revisited them but…. it isn't a bad idea to start ANY investment with WORST case….

My Personal DOOMSDAY Analysis 
    1) How bad could it be for yield?  To be cash neutral on each of my houses I worked it out to the precise dollar, on one I needed PRECISELY $225 a month coming in. Insurance and taxes and maintenance…. Any cent over that, for me, would, in a worst case scenario be a win. If I had to – absolutely had to, I would rent my properties at $230 and I would be laughing (probably more so because the world would SUCK at that point)…. – I would be very very hungry but I would be okay AND have a roof over my head.

2) Would it rent? Then it was about buying where I COULD rent – which is why Las Vegas came up – not solely reliant on the US economy and they would have to bulldoze 1/2 of a America before Vegas would go under… then if it came down to it and they bulldozed 1/2 of Vegas, they would bulldoze condos first, townhomes second, 1 bedders and 2 bedders would be tougher to rent but at $225 and a minimum of 3 bedrooms and my properties would be close enough to amenities to survive. Every industry town in the US could collapse and be pulled off shore but my bet was that those suckers who were left would start wanting to gamble – even if it were out of misery…. I bet ultimately on addiction I suppose to the bright lights and big city….  In Atlanta Delta could fold, Home Depot could relocate to Vietnam, Coca Cola relocate etc etc….. tough to move Vegas or its appeal. Although if it became super cheap here, everyone would move here as labour costs would be down.

3) Capital Growth? I was never going to predict and buy at absolute rock bottom (history would decide that) – but anything 40% below rebuild cost was going to be good enough for me – that was my capital growth projection…. one day, some day, these properties would probably be worth at least rebuild cost.

4) The US economy tanks…. the US dollar is worth a pittance….. the peso outstrips it, the Vietnamese dong looks like a Bahraini dinar by comparison?? That was okay, my cost of living standards are based in the US. In the US, my bricks and mortar would equate…. ever shopped in East Germany in the day? I may not be able to travel outside of the States and afford a loaf of bread but I would be able to afford it in the US…. My few overseas properties would make me a MILLIONAIRE (which in this scenario would be 1 AUD = 1 TRRRRILLLLIONN USD)

Jay is right – people need to live somewhere and very few Americans are looking to relocate overseas. That means 300+ million breeding Americans have to live somewhere – cost of living may end up dire, people foreigners may end up shopping on Rodeo Drive as thought it is Patpong but ultimately – like Greece et al, chances are they eventually would just have to forgive the debt…..in the interim…. what would people invest in?

So, my PERSONAL doomsday prediction = still worth doing. 

BUT…… if I was sitting in OZ, would my doomsday prediction work – no….obviously not…so,  if you seriously think the USD is going down, that all hell will break loose, the greenback becomes the dong… and somehow Americans stop wanting to live in any housing, then obviously this is not such a great idea – unless you love VERY VERY VERY VERY cheap tax deductible trips to the US.

However, the definite comment from Freckle I agree with regardless is that absentee landlords are going to learn a few lessons about property management in the US… no question….. absolutely 100% accurate… that won't even take a meltdown – that is norm.

Why I just keep saying it – whether you are self managing or have a property manager – check yourself if the rents are in!

So, to play the neutral card…. um it gets back to your personal Tarot and crystal ball….and where you are sitting in that crystal ball projection…..literally….

Blocked
    @freckle

Emma, every PI should print that post and stick it on their fridge door. Probably one of the most lucid posts on strategy I’ve seen here regarding how to plan for a market downturn.

Jay wrote:
    In my mind… there is so much cash in the US right now.. residing in super funds… in a global melt down those funds will flood out of the market.. and into real estate we see that time and again.

Jay I kinda agree and disagree. I don’t think money’s going to pour into the market and I’m pretty sure super funds aren’t going to lead the way. A couple of reasons or three. Super funds need some sort of vehicle so fund managers can get their wack. ETF’s are usually their kind of play and commercial/agriculture not residential are the preferred markets I believe. There’s a whole lot of regulatory BS around super fund investing that makes an RE play too complex for these guys. Anyway the govt is eyeballing SF’s. It wants their loot for their own funding shortfalls. Here in Oz they’re trying to make it mandatory for SF’s to invest in public infrastructure.

Where do you invest when every sector of the market and every demographic level is under pressure. Super through hedge funds is generally not the way its done either. HF’s are and have been taking a battering over the last few years, Since 2006 117 funds at 71 HF companies have died. Many are simply going out of business because they can’t see opportunity in current markets and these are successful fund managers with great track records over the past, Arnold, Voros, Soros et al.

I think property could see money leave the market in another downturn. The current expectation is that we’re at the bottom and now’s the time to jump in. I think we’re seeing false market signals backed by poor fundamentals. The US is heading into the next recessionary phase of this crash. As conditions worsen I expect to see hot money flows reverse and US PI market start to stall then decline over the next 12 months. If the US economic situation continues to worsen after that (and I expect it to) I would think any gains made over the last 2 years are likely to be lost.

The argument that people always need somewhere to live is a false one. People will only live in a dwelling if they can afford it. Once affordability is gone then you either live in a car, a tent, a shelter, a derelict building, a cave, the footpath or you squat.

I think the mistake everyone is making is comparing the coming crash to 2008. The GFC was a torpedoe in the side of a rusty worn out overloaded freighter. Since then they’ve manged to stop most of the flooding and stabalise the ship but they know it’s only temporary. Without a major overhaul (regulation) and off loading of cargo (debt) this ship is gonna sink.

But putting things in context. Even though the ship may sink not everyone will drown. The trick will be how do I make sure I survive and still hold onto my wealth. Emma’s got it sussed I think.

Blocked
    @freckle

Jay – your HF industry PI entry vehicle. Bloody scary if this is the way it’ll go. Jez I can see a few tears over this in the months/years ahead.

http://implode-explode.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=290686#290686

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

HF  minimum investment is 1,000,,000.00  so kind of seperates the mens from the boys.

when I said super funds above I mean our version  IRA 401k etc.

there is trillions sitting in these funds here in the US… And the soup de jour is what to do with these funds OTHER than the market.

IE flow into these bargin basement RE investments.

Agree with Emma…. My TWH model works if my rent goes down by 50%,,, I make no money but my investor continues to get paid.

below that then I deed the house to the investor and they end up where Emma is talking about.

JLH

Blocked
    @freckle

HF minimum investment is 1,000,,000.00 so kind of seperates the mens from the boys.

I’m guessing you missed at least 3 zeros from the above number.

Your IRA 401k stuff is similar to SMSF (self managed super fund) here. Strict rules about investing in property though. Not my field really

While there might be trillions sitting in funds I suspect releasing it would not be that easy. If large amounts are able to be mobilised and head in the direction of property I can see some major market distortions and ultimately problems further down the track. Like I suggested earlier I think the US PI market is beginning to resembling a casino more than a serious investment opportunity.

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

Freckle

Us IRS, Fall into 2 catagories Company sponsored and self directed

Company typically only invest in regicide red securities. Market investments

Self directed the owner of the Ira can invest in most anything they want including RE

And that is we’re trillions are sitting in self directeded Ira,s

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

Excuse my I pad typing

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

Excuse my I pad typing

Blocked
    @freckle
    jayhinrichs wrote:
    Excuse my I pad typing

Aagh ha an iPad dude…. all is revealed..;-)

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

Yeah, Vegas is definitely no doing well at all in the real estate game. Actually, it seems like the state of Nevada is slumping as a whole.

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

mattsa,

this is really old news… for OZ expectation of Cash flow returns of 15% or higher yes your correct.

But then again 15% and higher is an illusive imaginary figure anywhere as well.

Profile photo of emma171emma171
    Participant
    @emma171

OOOOOHHHH, I have to bite.

VEGAS

I think it is dire too…. absolutely tragic at the moment.

I will prove it too…..

This was what I just pulled – the link below is the ENTIRE Vegas market on the MLS ( we only have one in Vegas). As In when I run my searches I can draw in the MLS (the listing service where all properties in the open market are), a big rectangle that encompasses the whole of the vegas market….. So I did.

Search criteria:
    Any active listings (ER, EA, AU)
    ALL foreclosures under 80k
    Minimum 2 bedrooms
    Minimum age 1980.

http://las.fusionmls.com/DotNet/Pub/EmailView.aspx?r=651207116&s=LAS&t=LAS

Actually 2 of these surprised me – I would have thought Possum Berry would be gone by now (ha, it could be totalled) – it piqued my interest and had been taken off … hmmm…that isn't a bad street/style – still steep in my mind if you assume 6k repairs…. – definitely on the flight path for Nellis… hmmm, might just be agent not updated…

For those who can't be bothered – there are 14. Yep. 14 actually – one modular in the mix.

On the plus side, starting to be great for flippers and for those wishing to buy, outside of the auctions, probably what you will end up buying….- have to love Vegas – no population decrease, 40 million visitors a year NO MOULD…no rain…..

Unfortunately, and it may just be for now, the window of opportunity for Vegas is just not there – it may come back… I just very very much doubt it.

1.8 million people live in this city. 40 MILLION visit.

No state income tax, no lawns, tiled roofs, just places to GO. I even love that service calls aren't delayed by traffic…… aaah, I am homesick.

I love Atlanta trees and I actually really love the heat but not without a beach! Plus the storms here and flipping roof damages!

I was driving through Atlanta today and gosh, on the radio "you could win a trip to Vegas"… I was in Sydney last time and yep, you betcha (they do a lot in Vegas), you could win a trip to …. yep, you guessed it…….. Atlanta….. naaaaahhhh, only kidding – VEGAS – you could go to VEGAS…

Every day I am in Atlanta I WISHED I could zap the dryness of Vegas into Atlanta. EVERY drip or leak just is GOING to be that "bluish/grayish" substance. I wished I could just drive 15 minutes and be on the strip watching everyone as the Bellagio Fountains go off and happy tourists all around…… the economic impact of and spending $$ on the economy is just palpable.

However, place your stake wherever and claim your own spot.  It just doesn't make much sense for it to be Vegas right now – although the odd ones do come up. We will try to nab them the second they do!

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

Emma what do you mean no rain in Vegas.

I was there this winter and there was rain storm and the 10 pm news had live crews at the big intersections where a puddle had just occured and was causing water to be sprayed up into traffic… big news… cars barreling into 3 inch deep puddles unawares.

The southeast sure has its share of big storms.

And this year they were early,,, I was in Mississippi in March and big thunderbumper came through with tornado warnings.. I was walking from my hotel through the Home depot parking lot to dinner and thought hey I better start jogging this does not look good… then all hell broke loose.. really something… I suspect AU gets it share of thunderstroms as well.

A year or two ago there was a huge cyclone I was following on the Weather news that slammed into AU it was at least as big as Katrina.

JLH

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.