All Topics / General Property / Advertising for Tenants for a rental Property??

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Profile photo of dazed321dazed321
    @dazed321

Hi Guys,

I have an investment property that I like to manage myself, what recommendations do you have on advertising and marketing.

I have been using Gumtree which is OK, my local newspaper is really expensive and doesn’t seem to be working so well the last few years.

Realestate.com and domain doesn’t seem to allow private advertise?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Profile photo of RyanJDRyanJD
    @ryanjd

Hardly anyone looks at property in the newspaper anymore, unless they are the elite type stuff i would think.

Most people just use realestate.com.au, domain.com.au or gumtree.

I used gumtree and had over 10 applications in 10 hours. Some not worth the reply or read.

You can always get a property manager to advertise on realestate or domain for you and you just pick the applicant you find most suitable. One off fee I believe.

Also a sign made up at the front of the house could be good. Not suggesting a cardboard sign with pen but you can get a business to make one up.

Profile photo of dazed321dazed321
    @dazed321

Thanks Ryan,

Yeah I found Gumtree works quite well, but thanks for the tip on asking agents about Realestate and Domain.

I just thought there might be a few websites that I don’t know about. So if anyone has more websites in mind that is worth trying please let me know.

Cheers

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

The chances of your property being in Canberra are quite slim – but for anyone else reading this who's thinking about self managing in Canberra, http://www.allhomes.com.au is all you need.

My wife self manages our local properties and recently had to fill a couple. The calls from people who see the allhomes ad start flowing 5 minutes after it's posted on their site.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Kristin Simondson PBREKristin Simondson PBRE
    @kristin-simondson-pbre

You can engage an agent to lease the property for you and have all the advantages of full exposure to potential tenants. The most popular real estate sites only allow access to agents to avoid property scams (i.e. an ad where the 'landlord' asks for an upfront fee for keys to view the property)

They will charge a one-off letting fee and perhaps a charge for the advertising costs (tax deductible) and they can screen your tenants effectively not only through references, but tenant default databases as well.

Otherwise try http://www.rentfind.com.au/

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Domain.com.au does allow non-agents to advertise and some agents also are happy to allow you to pay them to advertise as well.

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

you probably will get best results by using domain.com.au on your own.. good luck!

Profile photo of brizziegirlbrizziegirl
    Participant
    @brizziegirl

There is a company here in QLD that advertised for me under their company with real-estate.com.au.

I found them fabulous and exactly what I was looking for. Cost me $50 which I thought was fair.

The only bummer to this good news is my computer crashed and I can’t find the organisation’s details. They were on the Sunshine Coast from memory. Sorry that I don’t have quite all the info.

Profile photo of dazed321dazed321
    @dazed321

Thanks Brizzie girl, if you can think of the name of the agent please let me know.

:)

Profile photo of zyrine69zyrine69
    Participant
    @zyrine69

I'm really much in favor with the idea of advertising online, since it is a trend in marketing. You're online advertisement would get the  best result as you do the right advertising.

Quote:
    Use our FSBO, free property advertising web-site and sell your own home, saving thousands in commission fees.

source: http://www.freehouseagent.com/ – I think you can consider using this website.

Profile photo of twincitiesmgrtwincitiesmgr
    @twincitiesmgr

Print ads are way too expensive. You should at least for now put it in the last of your options. Focus on online advertising. A lot of online tools you can use for free like classifieds and social networks.

Profile photo of zyrine69zyrine69
    Participant
    @zyrine69

You have a point here, but then online free ads advertising is also risky as scams and other perilous acts happen. I would suggest to be careful in choosing the right website to post free ads, check the current users, how often it is visited by people, also how often deals are made? Things like that.

Profile photo of Kristin Simondson PBREKristin Simondson PBRE
    @kristin-simondson-pbre

dazed321,

How did you go with leasing your property? Did you find an advertiser?

Profile photo of HowrailHowrail
    @howrail

I used http://www.rent4free.com.au – easy and free.  worked very well  – even loaded pics.

Good luck.

H

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Online is better – ad is viewable for a longer period of time. Place an ad in the newspaper and it disappears when the paper hits the bin. Online is there for as long as you need – albeit the ad drops down the pages over time.

Notwithstanding which medium you choose to use – make sure you heed Kristin's comments. If you contract an agent to find your tenant then you, by extension, will have access to the tenant's database. This should minimise the likelihood of you getting a tenant with a bad 'track record'

Slightly off topic – make sure your landlord insurance/property insurance will still cover you if you are self-managing. Some don't.

Profile photo of LilianWALilianWA
    @lilianwa

My agent had issues finding a tenant for our IP so I decided to place an add in Gumtree and we have had an excellent tenant that has been there for 2 years. Some say they the quality of tenants is not great if they are looking vai gumtree but I guess thats why you should interview them yourself, own research and background checks and make the decision.

Profile photo of dr housedr house
    Participant
    @dr-house

I have tried gumtree and contacted people who are looking for a property but find that only about one in ten people seem to respond to my emails.

those that do were a waste of time.

so advertising on gumtree has been a non-event.

tried also the QLD real estate agent for $60 (one month), also total waste of time and she didn't bother in putting any photos that I sent.

she only had one photo from the outside of the property.

i emailed her, requesting she add more of my photos and she didn't bother, so it was a waste of my money.

unfortunately it looks like the real estate agents still have the monopoly of the realestate site and domain I believe is expensive.

Profile photo of sydey99sydey99
    Participant
    @sydey99

Gumtree is free and gets lot of enquiries 

I Used propertynow.com.au, long back and they will list on REA 

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.