All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Power of negotiation

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of NHGNHG
    @nhg

Hey All,

I recently (through inspiration of some threads I read here) decided to try my hand at negotiating on just about everything this month with some very pleasant surprises.

I'm curious to know what else you may have negotiated on (and even seeking tips) that may be helpful to know for the future.

Examples:
    1. Purchasing rights from council for an easement, reduced from $10k to $7k (had to push hard for that one – still not happy);
    2. Negotiating down price of products and services, eg. concreters $3700 – $3400 (careful as you get what you pay for);
    2. Changed PM rate with agent from 7.5% to 5.5% (they said they wouldn't do it :P);
    3. Changed ability to exit contract with PM from 90 days (seriously they kept telling me to leave it as it's standard), to 14 days;
    4. Changed clause in contract with tenant to increase rent $100/week in 3 months time (long story);
    5. Negotiated down my own rent $10/week;
    6. Purchased second-hand car and had alloys added, whole car repainted etc, and still managed to lowe price by $500.

7. Other things I always negotiate on are hotels (ALWAYS get a free upgrade, complimentary snacks etc);
    8. As a joke I usually try to negotiate at restaurants, clothing stores and even Woolworths to my GF's dismay :P, they would laugh yet gave me freebies or staff discounts nine times out of ten.

On an unpleasant note, I cancelled a plane ticket to NZ and no matter how hard I tried I still lost $400 of the $600 I paid :(

There were a lot of times I felt uncomfortable asking on the inside but asked with confidence and a smile (even adding a joke or two), I received a lot of objections yet stuck my ground. Hopefully I can improve on my negotiating skills on a bigger scale.

Regards
    NHG

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Wow, have you added up all the savings???

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of DubstepDubstep
    Participant
    @dubstep

Hi NHG,

That's awesome  !  !

I managed to bartered $2500 off my wife's engagement ring and later bartered $2500 from her wedding and eternity rings.

I've always said " If you don't ask, you don't get "

Please keep us updated with any further barter bargains  !

Profile photo of Solomon10Solomon10
    Participant
    @solomon10

Hope your wife doesn't see your above post Dubstep!

Participant
    @dubstep

Hi Solomon10,

No worries there, I figured if the beautiful lady is going to wear the rings, its probably best she chooses them.

She loves them even more knowing that we saved money on them, women really love a bargain   !  !

I also found out that women know where all the jewellery stores are, I mean they really know where all the jewellery stores are.

If you don't believe me then ask your wife, a girlfriend, or a female work colleague and I'll bet they know off by heart where all the jewellery stores are in there town.

Am I the only guy that didn't know this strange fact  ?

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

3. I just cross it out.

My hubby hates paying full price for anything. When we first got married I wanted a sewing machine. They had a deal on- if you bring in your old one you get $50 off (that was a bit nearly 30 years ago). Anyway he said- look I could find an old one, bring it in but you'd just have to take it to the tip. Yep- they gave him the discount.

We stayed at a 5 star hotel in Amsterdam for $130 a night AMAZING. FREE minibar (hubby still talks about it), spa, sauna, pool etc etc Spoilt.

I'm also of the "if you don't ask you don't get" camp.

Profile photo of Kristin Simondson PBREKristin Simondson PBRE
    @kristin-simondson-pbre
    NHG wrote:
    2. Changed PM rate with agent from 7.5% to 5.5% (they said they wouldn't do it :P);

Good work, you must have almost mastered negotiating to get such a drop!

In Victoria, all real estate fees and charges are negotiable so we work with it on a daily basis. New clients are generally the ones who negotiate with me about fees. I figure if they can do it with us, I can do it with our suppliers, printers etc. and I agree it is pleasantly surprising. We've negotiated down costs of print media, marketing tools, training packages and even with Australia Post (<<was shocked that this one worked).

Would love to hear updates from time to time how it's working for you.

@kristin-simondson-pbre
    Dubstep wrote:
    I also found out that women know where all the jewellery stores are, I mean they really know where all the jewellery stores are.

Absolutely!!!

Participant
    @dubstep

Hi Kristin,

Where is this one ?

Carlton Jewellers

Profile photo of Admos88Admos88
    Participant
    @admos88

Nationwide, Thomas cook = UK. Cosham = Pompey! :D

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    Dubstep wrote:

Hi Kristin,

Where is this one ?

Carlton Jewellers

Carlton?

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates
    Dubstep wrote:

Hi NHG,

That's awesome  !  !

I managed to bartered $2500 off my wife's engagement ring and later bartered $2500 from her wedding and eternity rings.

I've always said " If you don't ask, you don't get "

Please keep us updated with any further barter bargains  !

Did you negotiate with the celebrant for an exit clause for the nuptials as well or weren’t you thinking that far ahead? ;)

@kristin-simondson-pbre

Certainly not Carlton, Victoria… or I would have bought something there. Good one!

Profile photo of NHGNHG
    @nhg
    Terryw wrote:
    Wow, have you added up all the savings???

Hey Terry,

Sadly battling to break even on the first purchase 6 months back, I had a lot of unknowns that keep blowing out, so everytime I save I spend. Eg. Found a 2 bedroom granny flat for $28k, then realised I needed to purchase an easement of council, negotiated down easment, found out I need to double-handle the placement of granny flat cause builder stuffed up, etc. Lessons learnt, second one is going much much smoother.

Speaking of engagement rings:
    http://www.goldenet.com.au/
    I think that's the site… my money sauvy colleague sitting to my left found it last year. They have a store in Melbourne. Super cheap compared to anywhere else.

Profile photo of NHGNHG
    @nhg
    Kristin Simondson PBRE wrote:

Australia Post (<<was shocked that this one worked).

Would love to hear updates from time to time how it's working for you.

How'd you manage that?

@kristin-simondson-pbre

They made a small error on our account (not worthy of a drama but you've got to take every opportunity) so between myself and our director we've negotiated 6000 unaddressed mail pieces to be delivered for free – thousands of dollars worth of postage for simply asking the question.

Profile photo of ygue6072ygue6072
    Participant
    @ygue6072
    Dubstep wrote:

Hi Kristin,

Where is this one ?

Carlton Jewellers

i know i'm not Kristen but i'm pretty sure that one is in the UK

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.