All Topics / Forum Frolic / Mega Conference 2012 – Who went, who did you learn from most?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Hi all,

Hope everyone is enjoying life!

Who's going to this years Mega Conference? What are you most looking forward to? What do you think you will learn?

I think I'm most looking forward to seeing what new ideas I can pick up. There is always at least one aha moment!

Let's keep this thread cooking, with what people are looking forward too and what they experience at the conference.

Cheers

Seeya there

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Hi all,

1 day down already! I thought I'd do a quick share for people who weren't able to go yesterday, hopefully some people do some sharing from today, coz I can't go!

I'd like to also say hi to all the people from here I met yesterday :)

So far I'm going to give a huge tick to this years conference. The last conference I went to was 2010 and so far this event has been far and away better. I think the calibre of speaker and the content has really won it for me.

As an overview.

We went to all the keynotes, Steve, Tom Ziglar, and Marty Ayles. We also went to Chris Lang's Commercial property workshop, Steve's Brilliant Buy and Hold workshop and Marty Ayles developing workshop. They were all excellent.

Steve as always is an excellent speaker, if you haven't heard him speak you really are missing out. Both of his presentations we went to (even though the buy and hold was a nice revision for us) were excellent, and I think having some wins on the board such as the property fund and the accredited property course have given him the boost that he needed. When we went 2 years ago, Steve made the statement that he was going to be giving up teaching people about property, it's good to see he hasn't.

Tom Ziglar – also an excellent presentation. It's hard coming to a presentation like his not knowing who is father is (Zig Ziglar, and yes showing age here!) but the videos that were shown at the start helped. I found his ideas interesting, but the end of the presentation was a tiny bit flat where he was trying to sell his product. However as far as product goes at $500ish it really isn't expensive as far as motivational tools go. I'm always interested in how people fit together in the background and the Nightingale speaker seems to have come with the Ziglar party.

Chris Lang, I found this session to be excellent. I came out and it was remarked to me (sarcastically, which I missed at the start) 'that would have been great'. Turns out that one of the other times he spoke he was trying to flog a website. I found what he said to the point and interesting. There wasn't really any sell.

Marty Ayles. One word, brilliant. He is blunt and to the point, and really at 8.30 pm after a full day most people were doing their mutant impersonation. There were a few tweaks on the brain, he did cover a lot of the same ground, but really if you repeat information some of it may stick.

Overall so far this conference has been more to the point, it has been crisper and is almost misleading with a subdued feeling, it hasn't got the hyped up feel of some of the spruik seminars, which means that people can focus on learning. The amount of selling is pretty much nil, which is wonderful. The show of hands of people who were there for the first time was huge. The amount of information that people can take in and use is excellent. I'm spewing I can't go to today's, please give a rundown if you along for today's sessions, help the rest of us out who couldn't make it!

I'll post after Sunday's sessions too.

Cheers

D

Email Me

Profile photo of Tracey BTracey B
    Participant
    @tracey-b

Thanks for the update Dianna…hoping others will do the same for people who can be there!

Participant
    @dwolfe

No worries Tracey,

I'm really hoping for some updates (hint hint people!!)

D

Email Me

Participant
    @dwolfe
    Profile photo of wisepearlwisepearl
    @wisepearl

had to wait to get home, didn’t fancy posting this from my phone ;)

Essentially Steve McKnight focussed on two broad areas for investment success: building your capital through either your career OR an income accelerator (or both) and then investing in RE through your chosen strategy/ies. If you’re goal of financial freedom has a deadline of within 5 years he said you really need an income accelerator, and as Marty Ayles pointed out the only real way to make money is through business, shares/markets or property. So there were a range of speakers on improving your existing small business, or creating your own online business to sell and make $$, as well as day traders or those profiting off the stock market.

One really useful thing for me that came out of Marty Ayles was the concept of loan portability and substituting security of your loan. What this means is you take a property, add value + sell. but when it comes time to sell, rather than get your bank to discharge the mortgage to release the title, you deposit funds from the sale into a fixed deposit account and have those funds acting as security for your loan and keeps your loan alive. You then can find another property and move the security to the new property. Caution – not all banks do this, some require a transfer of title to occur on same day. Its best to discuss this with a lender/broker prior to setting up loan.

Marty Ayles is a very successful property developer, yet he said he is really in the business of FINANCE, not property. He said our job as property investors is to become an expert in finance. We need to know what is possible. He spoke about the possibility of getting valuation on completions to release your own funds from a project on completion rather than waiting for settlement. This was also brought up by Dean Parker who is a successful renovator. He manages to get his $$ out of the deal as soon as the reno is complete, so by the time the RE photographer comes through, the ad goes up and it sits on the market he has very little of his own money left in the deal and can move on to the next one quicker.

Diana Nightingale presented on motivation/mindset. The key to her message was simple: “The secret to success is this: You become what you believe you are / what you say you are”. Believe in yourself, set your goals, know you can achieve it and you will. Earl Nightingale, her late husband, is an inspirational speaker and we were privileged to receive a CD recording of possibly his greatest speech. He’s worth looking up if you need to work on your mindset/goals/self belief…

Troy Harris was there sharing some of his recent successes with Developments, the numbers in his profit column were inspiring to put it mildly. He spoke about the importance of due diligence and number crunching and tried to dispel the myth that a LOT of cash and experience is needed to develop, with the right education its achievable earlier than you may think. Julie & Dave Siacci WOWed us with their creative ways to use Vendor Finance in conjunction with ANY strategy to add value and cashflow. They really know their stuff! They have used VF successfully with buy & hold, renovations, flips and more. a JV lawyer was there in a separate workshop to remind us all about the importance of a very solid JV contract that covers everything, a business plan detailing who is responsible for what and timeline of measurable steps. Ideally a good JV contract gets written up, signed, and put in the bottom drawer and not seen again.

Steve mentioned its a waste of time to spend hours on realestate.com.au searching and encouraged us to write our “shopping list” for our perfect deal/property and farm it out to 50 agents and get them looking.

A licensed value spoke of the importance of attending auctions to gauge market value and sentiment, and how market value is essentially just three opinions – The VENDORS / The other buyers and most importantly YOURS.

Katrina Maes presented on the importance of staging, she has some great ideas to share and stressed the importance of using double beds instead of single beds whenever they’ll fit. Plus pillows, everywhere, and artwork on the walls. She said to remove any evidence of “work” in the house, eg pests, cracks, chips, stains, rips, weeds etc and to modernise things like light fittings, knobs, curtains, glass panes.

My mind is still spinning after all the info. Was my first mega conference and I was very impressed. Sure there’s still a bit of sell-fest going on, but the speakers are all high calibre and they do impart with their knowledge. There’s less HYPE at the end and more of just what they offer, and Steve did also remind us all the importance of getting quality education, which tends not to be the free kind…

I just had an image in my mind – any Harry Potter fans out there? I feel like Dumbledore – have just pulled out all these silvery wispy thoughts from my head and thrown them down into a big bowl here for others to share. I would love to hear from others who attended to share some of your key learnings or takeaways.

Profile photo of KeyStrategiesKeyStrategies
    @keystrategies

Hello Fellow Property Investors

Well its already been a week since the Mega Conference ended. It was an interesting experience for me in that I actually got to view the conference from both a participants and presenters perspective this year.

I enjoyed the Presentations from the Keynote speakers

Steve made one comment which was – While ever people live in houses there will be money to be made from property.

Love what Tom Ziglar has done with his father (Zig's) info to start to shape and mould it to make it his own. I recall sitting front row centre  at one of Zig's presentations years ago.

Marty was entertaining as usual and reminded me of the value of using Substitution of Security as a technique to keep loans intact – which is getting a little more difficult as some lenders (St George) are not honouring this or making it difficult by imposing harsh conditions regarding LVR's to do this at present.

Diana Nightingale's – story was inspiring as was her book – I read it while waiting for my plane home which was delayed so that was a bonus to use that time reading – I loved the story of her life with Earl.

I must say I enjoyed presenting my workshops on the Friday on "Success from (Small lot) Subdivisions" and had some positive feedback regarding them from the people that attended – with standing room only at all 3 workshops its seems to have been a topic of interest.

The NRAS presentation was interesting particularly when the speaker flagged that some properties where being marketed at what seemed to be inflated prices by some QLD promoters – so again Buyer Beware.

Dereck Gehl – spoke about the value of a Website and how to set one up – something I must invest in.

The Property Professor spoke about his top 12 suburbs and has his presentation available on his website.

The Buyer Advocate spoke on determining Property Values which he put down to 3 opinions being
    1) The Seller 2) The Highest other bidder and 3 ) Your Own – Guess which one is most important ?

I enjoyed Lewis O'Brien's talk on Joint Ventures and his info was well priced being under $500.

And David and Julie Siacci presentation reignited my interest in Vendor Finance as a Strategy to look into.

Thank you to everyone that came up and said Hi to me and offered words of encouragement regarding my presentation, I appreciated it – I hope you property investment journey is a Successful One.

Cheers

Participant
    @dwolfe

Sadly, I didn't get to come back for day 2 and 3 :(

I think the lack of responses says something. People seem to rarely talk about things that are good, or exciting or that they got something out of. But if it was bad, there would be a bunch of people bagging it out. It's great to see what other people got out of it, if you got something out of it please share!

Personally I liked the flow chart that Steve put together, and Marty Ayles had me in stiches. Considering there were so many people there, there really has been a bit of silence on the forums regarding what people enjoyed.

I have to say there was more excitement on my facebook feed than here!

Shame I missed your presentations Michael, felt like I missed so much not being able to go to the other 2 days :(

Cheers

D

Email Me

Profile photo of KeyStrategiesKeyStrategies
    @keystrategies

Hi D

Well  you could still be in luck and get to experience it, I had my last presentation recorded – I now have to have it turned into a CD and DVD which I hope to make available to the public later this year and have spoken to Steve about putting up thru iclub for those members that missed it.

Days 2 and 3 were also quite full of Info – Perhaps you need to rename this Who attended the 2012 MegaConference and What did you learn?

But its your thread So I will leave that to you to decide

Cheers

mattnz
    Participant
    @mattnz

I couldn’t attend this year, but should be able to make it in Sydney next year.

Last year’s Marty Ayles presentation changed my life, it was so inspiring. In the 12 months since, I have progressed towards developing 3 townhouse sites with close to $2 million profit. The first development site starts construction this week and have 2 others going through the DA process at the moment.

In 12-18 months I will be able to chuck in the corporate job and do what I want with my time, being semi-retired before 40 and just pursue what I am interested in.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.