All Topics / Help Needed! / Insurance claim

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Profile photo of propertyboypropertyboy
    Participant
    @propertyboy

Hi Guys,

I live in a unit complex of 6 units. Recently the shared piping burst and as a result some flooding occurred in my unit in the back yard. As a result of this flooding my ducted heating unit got damaged. The damage was resultant damage from a combination of storm water and the burst pipes. The location of the burst pipe was not even in my unit, it was in another unit but the water then flowed into my property.

Our buildings are insuranced under one owners corporation insurance and I have my own home and contents insurance.

My question is.

1) Would this be a claim under the common building insurance or my personal insurance for the ducted heating unit?
    2) Can we make a claim to the common building insurance for the burst piping if it was common area piping? I was told that insurance companies do not cover galvenized plumbing. If so, does that also mean resultant damage is not covered?
    3) If I am not covered by any of the above, could I make a claim against the body corporate, the other unit or get all 6 units to share the cost of me replacing my ducted heater?
    4) If I am covered but have to pay an excess would the excess be split between all units or would I be liable for the excess as the heater is in my lot?

Why should I be held liable for the cost of the damage? Am I stressing out for no reason? I want to get a copy of the policy but dont know where to get it from? How do I see what I am actually covered for?

If insurance companies do not cover galvenized plumbing does that mean you can't get insuranced until you go copper or do they still provide insurance but just dont compensate you if damage takes place?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.