All Topics / Help Needed! / buying property with super

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of AC78AC78
    Participant
    @ac78

I have heard that many people are now buying property with their super and my understanding is that you need a self managed super fund. As part of my EBA my employer only allows us to use their assigned super fund. Does that mean I cant open  a SMSF or is there another way around it?

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Nothing to stop you starting your own SMSF but going to be limited to the amount of contributions you can make if your emplooyer wont allow you to roll over your existing fund or make future employer contributions into your fund.

I recently wrote an ebook on Buying in Super so drop me an email and i can send you a copy.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of AC78AC78
    Participant
    @ac78

thanks Richard
    Have just emailed you

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I don't think an employer can restrict who you use as a super fund.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @qlds007

Regretfully Terry even post Howards Choices legislation certain Governement employees are restricted and cannot set up their own SMSF and have their employer contributions directed towards their own fund.

Some employees allow you to transfer the majority of your Employer Super Fund balance to a SMSF and as long as you retain a minimum amount still provide you with related insurance benefits which can be cheaper than taking out your own.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

As Richard has eluded to, it is important to check if you will remain eligible for death & tpd insurance in your employer's fund if you roll some money out of it into your smsf

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    Qlds007 wrote:
    Regretfully Terry even post Howards Choices legislation certain Governement employees are restricted and cannot set up their own SMSF and have their employer contributions directed towards their own fund.

Some employees allow you to transfer the majority of your Employer Super Fund balance to a SMSF and as long as you retain a minimum amount still provide you with related insurance benefits which can be cheaper than taking out your own.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

I think it is just govt employees that are restricted?

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @qlds007

Terry yes depends. We have rolled over a couple of nurses into SMSF (Suprised as Qld Health is almost broke) but teachers are a wee bit harder.

Public servants dont even bother.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Profile photo of taxdivataxdiva
    Participant
    @taxdiva

I have taken 2 years researching setting up a smsf and moving forward. All the info on this thread is correct. I am with an employer who will not contribute to a smsf. Do not be deterred as there is always a way to meet any challenge. I am simply going to rollover some funds and keep the minimum in my emplyer super to maintain as per the employer request. FYI I am moving my life insurance into my smsf as the premiums are tax deductible. My husband and I have combined our super to form the smsf and plan to purchase multiple positive cash flow properties so my life insurance premiums will be funded by the income from the properties. This releases funds from our daily budget. Happy to discuss my experience with anyone if you pm me. I see some very good times ahead especially as I live in Qld and it seems Qld is finally seeing some much anticpated growth.

Participant
    @qlds007

Taxdiva

Yes as long as you have minimum 28% of the purchase price as deposit and sufficient to cover acquisition costs and sufficient income generated from employment / rent there is no reason why you cant be over and over again.

Course you do need a new Security Custodian Trustee for each property and that can get faily expensive.

Cheers

Yours in Finance 

Profile photo of schmooschmoo
    @schmoo

Hi Taxdiva,

I’m looking at doing the same thing, however I’m not tied to any particular fund. I’m very new to all of this so have many questions that I know of and questions I don’t even know I have yet :-)
    I tried to PM you but your profile is not accepting emails.

I’m wondering how expensive is fairly expensive to set up and maintain, and what happens, if for example, the property market crashes and your fund goes into the red? Or if you are dependant on rental income and you can’t find a tenant. I imagine there are penalties?

I can see what the advantages are but wondering what the drawbacks might be…?

Thanks in advance.

Profile photo of Kathleen lKathleen l
    @kathleen-l

Could anyone please suggest the approximate cost and length of time required to start a SMSF ?

It seems easiest to simply go through our accountant, however I had heard recently at the conference how costly incorrect information can be and I am not quite sure about the calibre of my accountant ?

I assume a property investing focused accountant might be the best place to start.

Wishing I had networked a bit more with my fellow Queenslanders at the conference……………Has anyone got recommendations for a suitable Accountant?

Participant
    @jacm

Hi there

I am happy to share some knowledge.  I have set up a smsf in the last 12mths and purchased a property through it.

Keep in mind we are almost at the end of the financial year now, so don't bother starting to setup a smsf till after the new financial year ticks over.  It would be ridiculous to set up a smsf and then have to do a tax return for it to cover a period of a couple of weeks.

If you drop me a PM I will be happy to give you a list of professionals I used…. accountant, mortgage broker, financial advisor etc.  The bank will probably require that you get a financial advisor to sign off that you understand you have to make repayments.  Very few financial advisors have insurance to cover them for this so you have to hunt around. 

Don't just use any accountant.  You need to use someone that has set up plenty of smsfs that have intent to buy property. 

Richard Taylor who has already posted on this thread can do the bulk of the thing for you. I used him as my mortgage broker for my smsf purchase, and he was fantastic.  Drop him an email.  I'm pretty sure he can also set up your smsf for you.  Nice and tidy.  Either way I'm sure he could refer you to a QLD accountant for anything he doesn't cover himself.  While it does not matter where your professionals are located (most things can be handled over the phone/email/fax), Richard is based in Queensland, and I see you're keen to find a team in QLD. 

cheers – and well done on your decision not to let others merrily lose your superannuation money any more!
    jac

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @qlds007

Heh Jac

Looking at doing an investor evening down in Melbourne once i get back from Canada so dinner is on me that night if you free.

Might have to get you be my venue co-ordinator.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Profile photo of Solomon10Solomon10
    Participant
    @solomon10

I'm sure you will have a willing audience down here Richard! Bring your jacket though it's quite fresh.

Participant
    @jacm

sounds great richard, i'll drop you an email

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @qlds007

Heh Soloman

I wont be coming until the temp is over 20 degrees lol

Guys anyone interested drop me an email and i will put you on the invitation list.

Jac M that doesnt mean you as you are on the priority list.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.