All Topics / Overseas Deals / Who can I trust?

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 149 total)
  • Profile photo of Alex SCAlex SC
    Participant
    @alex-sc
    mattsta wrote:

I agree with everyone else who has posted. Be extremely cautious when purchasing on the internet. I would suggest finding and contacting a US real estate agency for its validity. Or if you have any friends in the US (or friends with friends in the US), you could get them to do this for you.

Be extremely careful in any business venture especially real estate. I would search out .

USA
    real estate agents a few of them

USA turnkey companies ( who own properties in the areas they are selling )

Aussie investors who have purchased in the USA

Aussie and USA real estate groups and ask questions

Aussie resellers that actually own properties in the areas they are advertising …

information is the key and it is FREE .. So take advantage of that ..

Profile photo of IlovehousesIlovehouses
    @ilovehouses

Not sure if anyone can help me.  I became the money partner in a property purchase in the U.S.  The deal was that I would buy the property plus provide the funds for the rehab.  The property was already pre-sold  I was to receive 17% in 3 months time.  I have a lien over the property and a promissory note from the this guy.  Of course, when the 3 months was up, no money.  I was told that the sale had fallen through but the property was rented and I would receive the rent until it was sold.  Despite receiving a "deposit slip" I received nothing and then the emails stopped with no contact since. 
    So if there is anyone on here with a similar story or any americans, what would be the next step and how hard is it from Australia to foreclose if that is what is required?

Profile photo of usainvestorusainvestor
    @usainvestor
    Ilovehouses wrote:
    Not sure if anyone can help me.  I became the money partner in a property purchase in the U.S.  The deal was that I would buy the property plus provide the funds for the rehab.  The property was already pre-sold  I was to receive 17% in 3 months time.  I have a lien over the property and a promissory note from the this guy.  Of course, when the 3 months was up, no money.  I was told that the sale had fallen through but the property was rented and I would receive the rent until it was sold.  Despite receiving a "deposit slip" I received nothing and then the emails stopped with no contact since. 
    So if there is anyone on here with a similar story or any americans, what would be the next step and how hard is it from Australia to foreclose if that is what is required?

I would start by talking to your attorney who help you establish the lien and promissory note.

If you did not use an Attorney then my guess is that both are worthless and you have done your dough.

Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs

As a licensed Mortgage Banker in the US… I can tell you in 2 minutes what you have if you care to scan and e mail me your documents.

Mortgage investing in the US is as big a bizzness as buying the asset… Same caveots apply though, no thy people who your doing bizz with,,, check the collateral, check neighborhoods etc.

If we were looking at a fraud scenerio here this is how it would play out.

Nice Spruiker comes to you with what is a really great theme to Ozzies some very very high interest rate that gets you excited… why invest in something for 8 to 10  heck I can get 17% no problem.

This person talks a great rehab and flip game  ( remember I have done well  over 2000 of these loans in the US the exact transaction you did) and i have been fooled more than once as well so don't feel alone.

I do not know the dollar amount your talking about.

but if it was a modest investment 20 to 50k or so.

I suspect the property was probably bought for wholesale,,, and that the Spruiker in this case never did any work… probably pocket half or more of the cash you front originating this Lein over the property and has just gone walkabout never to be heard of again…

Your collateral maybe in one of the not so nice areas of the US in need of a lot of help and or be so far gone as not worth putting any money into trying to foreclose and take the property over…

so thats worse case scenerio.

Best, is you just have a little communication problem… this reputable wholesaler flipper that you lent money to, will be getting to you really soon,, the house did not sell for some reason its fully rehabbed and rented and it will just be days before the rents are put into our account. ( which unless you have an assignement of rents clause in your Deed of trust or Mortgage) he is not obligated to do this.. He is just being the good borrower and offering it.

So probably somewhere in the middle I imagine is the story.

Like I said if you scan and e mail me the Note and Deed of Trust or Mortgage that was recorded over the property I can tell you in 2 minutes what you have and what your next steps would be… Also include the address so I can see where in the US this loan was made and if its in a good enough area that would warrent you spending any money chasing.

If the loan was in a Deed of Trust state its very simple straight forward foreclosure,, Like GA takes 60 days and 1500 buckaroos and you have the property back… New York it can take 3 years and thousands… florida same.

If you can get to the borrower there is also a document called Deed in Lui of Foreclosure if you can get him to sign it and record it your done as well property is back in your name debt is extinguished.  Try not to use a quit claim deed that can cloud the title going forward.

I will leave my e mail below if you wish me to assit you in the basics

[email protected]

@ilovehouses

Jay,

Companys name is http://www.rewholesaleking.com/.  Guys name is John Patchin.  Property is 6608, E 67th St. Kansas City Mo.64133.  Also http://www.biggerpockets.com/users/Rewholesaleking

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

Kyler,

give this OZ investor a 411 on the property if you will please.  Klyer is our resident expert on KC, there was another property manager that frequented this site from KC but have not see him post in a long while.

llovehouses,

Kyler can give you a report on your collateral.  If you want to scan and e mail me your doc's I can give you advice on what you have… IE do you have legit documents,,, etc. In addition I will talk to a few of my contacts there in KC and report back

When we see this criminal behavior we are usually looking at  transactions that have little or no supporting documentation, Other than the typical ( I bought a house and never got rent and what do I do)

Be happy to help and give you a quick read on what you have.

[email protected]

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

Checked out his website,

certainly is not puffing.

Huge experince he has bought and rehabbed 15 properties… And has a huge successful management company consisting of 40 properties.

sorry but this is hardly experince,, and really can't blame the guy sounds like another beginner getting into the bizzness. And just coping other Turn Key web sites and hopeing for those that may fall into his net. Or as we say in the US fall of the TURNIP TRUCK….

Again if you can get me the docs and I can  look at what you have I can give you some solid advice.

These web site and bigger pockets site which I am aware  are just amatures preying on those looking for unrealistic returns..

AGAIN I STRESS RATE OF RETURN IN THE USA IS DIRECTLY RELATED TO RISK.. THE HIGHER THE RETURN THE GREATER THE RISK…..No matter what the nice man or lady tells you.

There is no question that these rates of returns exist just like there is no question that they are highly risky and there are those that will lose their entire investment aligning with the wrong property, market or person.

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

quick zillow search  ( and again Zillow is all over the map and this one is not different)

this property sold for 15k..   ones next to it sold for 67k… others for 8k…

so bombed out in need of total rehab value probably 8 to 15k.

after rehab 40 to 50k..

so question is what were you told and how much did you lend on this one.

JLH

Profile photo of kylermricekylermrice
    Participant
    @kylermrice

Looked at the property i wanna say back in 2008, it had flood issues that bothered me but was a good buy for the price.  I need more information but i can help.  At least tell you if it's tenanted and what shape it is in, can see who's name is registered on the property at the city.  My email is [email protected]

Profile photo of John MaxwellJohn Maxwell
    Participant
    @john-maxwell

A friend of mine, Daimian Patterson, is a trusted property coach. You can simply google him and you’ll
    Easily find plenty of research on him and his free e-book. He recently took a trip to USA and bought a number of properties himself over there. He’d be a great contact to give personal experience on what to do, what not to do and where to look.

I believe his focus has moved away from buying in USA possibly largely due to the weakening dollar.

One word if caution regarding USA – its a very big country and very different conditions to Australia. Research is very important. There are many areas that are very cheap but also largely abandoned. Be careful. Visiting and scouting around is highly advised.

Profile photo of TZTZ
    @tz

This forum has turned out to be a fascinating read, great to see the willingness to band together and help.

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

TZ

Not sure if your being facisous or not.

However,,, I for one have gone out of my way to help your Countrymen and others try to figure out what they do or do not own. All for nary of a thankyou…

and in this case as stated above this was a loan to a US person or company for a rehab flip… This is what I do and have done for most of my carrer…and have offered to help. to date all we have is the person or company that Lovehouses lent to and an address and a link to a Biggerpockets blog…. Biggerpockets is like the Forum here in the US bunch of people posting.

when and If Lovehouses cares to share his original documents I will be happy to tell him what he has at no charge… Or he can hire an attorney in the state the property is in and send the original documents and pay for a foreclosure… this if indeed he has a valid mortgage held over the property…It major issue here is whether he has been totally defrauded by this individual.

The house if it has not been rehabbed is probably only worth 5 to 8k max… and if thats the case, I am not sure if he is in a mortgage state or deed of trust state… DT is really simple to foreclosure, Mortgages its a court case… So how much money are you going to throw at a deal that your return is only going to be 5 to 8k if your lucky…Me I would just write it off and say goodbye I got screwed..

Now if the property has been rehabbed and their is a tenant in their its only value is what another marketing company could sell it for and or wholesale as there is no retail sales in these type of renter areas by and large… So maybe he just keeps it as a rental and Maybe Kyler or another KC Vendor points him in the direction of a PM…

So I will leave it there… No up side for me, just trying to help if I can.

JLH

Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen
    jayhinrichs wrote:
    These web site and bigger pockets site which I am aware  are just amatures preying on those looking for unrealistic returns..

That's a bit unfair, Jay, there's plenty of decent content on BP (and I thought so before I was writing for them, that's why I contacted them in the first place) – while there's certainly alot more dubious content there compared to this website, I believe it's primarily because of the sheer size and exclusive USA-oriented nature of the articles there – however, there's plenty of valid material to be found there as well, particularly for those looking to familiarize themselves with general terms and practices prior to digging in deeper.

I do agree that the forums and some of the posts there are far less professional than other stuff that can be found here and in other places – but that's a long long way from labelling the entire website (and particularly its founder and manager, who's a very decent bloke in my opinion) as predators.

Ziv Nakajima-Magen | Nippon Tradings International (NTI)
    http://www.nippontradings.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

My bad,,

did not mean that of the whole bigger pockets community,, I wrote that at 3 am.

My point being that there are so many wanna bee turn keys guys in the US and they get an audiance there the poor public has a hard time sifting through those that are legit and those that are not ready for prime time and want to experiment with your money is really my piont.:))))

Lovehouses sent me what he had on his transaction I reviewed the documents and  I replied to him personally.. and hope it all works out for the best…

JLH

Profile photo of TZTZ
    @tz
    jayhinrichs wrote:

TZ

Not sure if your being facisous or not.

However,,, I for one have gone out of my way to help your Countrymen and others try to figure out what they do or do not own. All for nary of a thankyou…

and in this case as stated above this was a loan to a US person or company for a rehab flip… This is what I do and have done for most of my carrer…and have offered to help. to date all we have is the person or company that Lovehouses lent to and an address and a link to a Biggerpockets blog…. Biggerpockets is like the Forum here in the US bunch of people posting.

when and If Lovehouses cares to share his original documents I will be happy to tell him what he has at no charge… Or he can hire an attorney in the state the property is in and send the original documents and pay for a foreclosure… this if indeed he has a valid mortgage held over the property…It major issue here is whether he has been totally defrauded by this individual.

The house if it has not been rehabbed is probably only worth 5 to 8k max… and if thats the case, I am not sure if he is in a mortgage state or deed of trust state… DT is really simple to foreclosure, Mortgages its a court case… So how much money are you going to throw at a deal that your return is only going to be 5 to 8k if your lucky…Me I would just write it off and say goodbye I got screwed..

Now if the property has been rehabbed and their is a tenant in their its only value is what another marketing company could sell it for and or wholesale as there is no retail sales in these type of renter areas by and large… So maybe he just keeps it as a rental and Maybe Kyler or another KC Vendor points him in the direction of a PM…

So I will leave it there… No up side for me, just trying to help if I can.

JLH

No this was a fair dinkum comment as we would say in Oz. And the bickering adds to the entertainment value although the moderators are quick to step in with their mops and buckets

Participant
    @kylermrice
    @ilovehouses

Kyler,

Did you get my email?

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

TZ

that is what we liked to do bring entertainment value to the site :) and just think I only say half of what I would like to say:)

Participant
    @kylermrice
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 149 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.