All Topics / Creative Investing / sale property to the tenant : vendor finance

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of TaylorChangTaylorChang
    Participant
    @scha9799

I have been thinking about this for long time, but not 100% sure how to execute correctly and profit from this strategy.I have a IP with granny flat at the back yard.rough figure in and out cash as below

Rent income front houes $345
    Rent income back house $260
    Loan interest rate 7%
    Loan yearly repayment $23,800
    Yearly maintenance $5,000

Net yearly cashflow $1,450

However, I don't really like this maintence cost ! so I thought that i can be below with vendor finance

Money OUT
    Loan amount $340,000
    Rate 7%
    Repayment $23,800

Money IN
    Loan amount $390,000
    Rate 8.5%
    Repayment $33,150
    Net yearly cashflow $9,350

the IP has front and back house, I want to approach both tenant to see if they want to buy the whole house ( front and back).

Question:
    1)What sort of legal documents do I have to use ?
    2)what if one of them want to buy and after 3 years they stop paying me loan which I provide to them, what right do I have ?
    3)can I transfer all the rate to them(council, water,…etc..) ?
    4)what possible thing can go wrong ?
    5)How do I approach them to purchase my IP?
    6)currently front house tenant is getting rent assistance from government will this rent assistance stop if they buy IP from me ?
    7)due to front house tenant is getting rent assistance from government, does it mean they are a bit higher risk to default the loan ? ( they are current paying me rent on time all the time ) 

TaylorChang | Finance Broker
    Email Me | Phone Me

Home loan | Commercial loan | 0414 691 517

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I assume that the granny flat is on the same title as the house? If so both tenants will need to buy the wholre property jointly. Or maybe you are approaching each separately about buying the whole place??

1. A contract for the sale of land.
    2. They would have already entered into an agreement to buy and exchanged contracts. If they did not follow through and settle then they may lose what they have put in. But this could be challenged in a court as it may be inequitable.
    3. Maybe
    4. The biggest thing that can go wrong is that they stop paying you and you have to 'evict'.
    5. Maybe work out some figures and then go to see them.
    6. yes
    7. Possibly means they are on a low income which may mean you need to assess whether they can afford to buy the property.

Also you must think about how much you are potentially losing. What if the property increases in value. You won't benefit but the tenants will so you are essentially giving up future capital gains to save some minor expenses now.

You also have to look at if you need a credit licence to be able to offer credit.

Might also want to consider a lease option.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi scha9799

As per our phone conversation and Terry's and my response at:
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forums/property-investing/creative-investing/4344467
    I'd suggest you have a good read of Terry's response above and the links given in the url above.

Cheers, Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.