All Topics / Overseas Deals / Wire Transfer Advice Needed

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Profile photo of unitedvetsgroupunitedvetsgroup
    @unitedvetsgroup

I'm needing some help……. Can someone please explain how to send a wire transfer to Lee County using my Wells Fargo account in The States??? I have spoken to Wells Fargo and they said the only way to do it to visit a branch. Not possible at the moment as I live here in Aus. Wire transfer is the only method of payment Lee County accept.
    I will ask them too, however at the moment they are closed.
    Huge thanks in advance.

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

Amazing isn’t it. We live in some of the most technologically advanced countries in the world and yet a simple money transaction is still one of the hardest things to do.

Might as well live in Tajikistan for all the good it does.

Profile photo of TZTZ
    @tz

Wow incredible, on the other hand their horse and carriage logo says it all… Speak to the manager and threaten you will move your business to a more contemporary institution such as Chase, if he cannot assist you in getting this done immediately.. Good luck..

Blocked
    @freckle
    triptizehd wrote:
    Wow incredible, on the other hand their horse and carriage logo says it all… .

Apparently cheques are quite common over there as well. Couldn’t tell you the last time I saw one let alone wrote one out.

Tell a lie. A buddy of mine is still analogue. Hasn’t really progressed from wind up watches. I tried to bring him into the age of LCD screens and battery operated devices but to no avail. The little netbook I set up for him found a resting place on top of a pile of papers. Trying to teach him even basic computer skills was like teaching advanced math to my wife. Luv her to bits but as thick as 2 short planks when it comes to ‘rithmatic

Profile photo of TZTZ
    @tz

Yeah I know – I’ve been worried about lowering my credit score on a few occasions due paying utility bills late, simply because it was complicated to find an electronic way to do it (I have a checkbook but really, do I want to queue at the post office to mail a piece of paper in this day and age?). On the other hand Chase has some features that I haven’t seen in Australia before, such as taking a photo of a check / cheque with your iPhone as a way of depositing it..

Blocked
    @freckle
    triptizehd wrote:
    such as taking a photo of a check / cheque with your iPhone as a way of depositing it..

Reminds me of DeCaprio in ‘Catch Me If You Can”. His character ‘Frank Abagnale Jr’ would have just luved that!!

Blocked
    @freckle

I believe you can fax cheques too. Their version of netbanking :-(

Profile photo of TZTZ
    @tz
    Jaerbean
    Participant
    @jaerbean

Hi Unitedvetsgroup,

I feel your pain.  Makes you appreciate the Aussie banking system when you have to try and deal with the US one.  Many a night I have been on hold containing my frustration at dealing with Wells Fargo call centre staff.  You should be able to perform a wire transfer by calling 0011 1 888 384 8400. (Wells Fargo Wire Transfer Services).  You will need to have been set up to this in advance first though and will be issued a 7 digit pin through the post to perform a wire over the phone.  Maybe one day when the US hears about the internet they will move to an online system, but don't hold your breathe on that one.  If you can get through and the phone line will accept your acc no & pin via the key pad you will finally get to speak to someone.  You will need to know the ABA number, Acc no, Bank name & Address and any special instructions for the recieving party.  Also be prepared to be stung some decent fees every time.

Good luck.

Profile photo of Alex SCAlex SC
    Participant
    @alex-sc

Our banking system is stone age and sucks here in the states..

Sorry we can offer cheaper  houses  then most here in the USA but you got to take all our crap with them.

Profile photo of unitedvetsgroupunitedvetsgroup
    @unitedvetsgroup

Thanks all…….

Profile photo of streamlineinvestingstreamlineinvesting
    Participant
    @streamlineinvesting

I have noticed that banks in the US seem to be so far behind the times it is really not funny. They do not seem to believe much in customer service, they have a love affection with cheques still. I really hope they do improve the systems over the next few years because they really are behind the rest of the world.

Profile photo of bigfirerichiebigfirerichie
    Participant
    @bigfirerichie

Had the same problem…solved with xetrade.com, let’s you transfer from us bank account

Blocked
    @freckle
    bigfirerichie wrote:
    Had the same problem…solved with xetrade.com, let’s you transfer from us bank account

Interesting. I’ve been using if for a while now to move money to NZ accounts and Malta. Didn’t realise you could swing it back the other way.

Profile photo of bigfirerichiebigfirerichie
    Participant
    @bigfirerichie

On recent trip to US I opened a new account with Charles Schwab bank.

Couldn’t do it on line as I don’t have a US drivers license. Managed to work around it (I thought) by attending branch in person.

Opened account with $10, even got my first statement, and started to organize payments, rent etc to move from Wells Fargo account.

Now that I’m back in Oz they write to me and tell me my account will be closed within 5 days unless I attend the branch with my US drivers license.,!!

Bloody Nora

Profile photo of streamlineinvestingstreamlineinvesting
    Participant
    @streamlineinvesting
    bigfirerichie wrote:
    On recent trip to US I opened a new account with Charles Schwab bank.

Couldn’t do it on line as I don’t have a US drivers license. Managed to work around it (I thought) by attending branch in person.

Opened account with $10, even got my first statement, and started to organize payments, rent etc to move from Wells Fargo account.

Now that I’m back in Oz they write to me and tell me my account will be closed within 5 days unless I attend the branch with my US drivers license.,!!

Bloody Nora

A similar thing happened with us, we were trying to open an account with BB&T bank from Australia, which of course is next to impossible, anyway, we were able to do it by getting a special contact.

To ensure there were no fees in the account we had to fund it with $1,500, which was no problem, so we wired the money across and everything was great, had a US bank account, had internet access to the account, even had a Visa card for the account.

Then out of the blue we received this letter saying that our account will be closed in 9 days and any funds will be sent to us via a cheque, the date on the letter was 5 days before we received the letter, I guess sending it internationally took some time. Anyway, the account was closed and a couple weeks later we received a cheque for the $1,500 we had in the account.

Now try cashing a cheque which is in your US company’s name, when there is no bank account in the world in that company’s name, the cheque was barely worth the paper it was written on.

All in all, it was definitely one of the most frustrating experiences we had

Profile photo of Richard DaviesRichard Davies
    @richard-davies

Had a lot of problems with Wells Fargo, after Wachovia Bank merged with them.  I needed to skype them at least four times and post information on three separate occasions before I was able to get my money taken out of my "new" Wells Fargo account. 

Are there any really reliable US banks around which cater for Overseas customers?

Profile photo of Joel.MacdonaldJoel.Macdonald
    @joel.macdonald

US Banks are tough work Richard in regards to making it hard for Aussies to wire money.

The problem is most of us don’t have ITINs. Once you get this with your first tax return, your wiring will be easier.

So while you wait for an ITIN, the key is getting in with a good retail bank manager. Establish yourself in with someone. Sure some companies can set you up with a bank account but being able to use the account is key!

We simply email the manager the wire request and he does it for you within 24hrs. It has worked for us for some time and this is through Wells Fargo branch in San Francisco

Profile photo of Richard DaviesRichard Davies
    @richard-davies

Thanks for the heads up. Would be best I guess to get on a first name basis with a US bank manager, so you WOULD recommend Wells Fargo? I became a client without a choice. Lol

Profile photo of CL1706CL1706
    Participant
    @cl1706

I walked into a Wells Fargo branch in Atlanta as was able to establish a personal account, as well as an account in the name of my Georgia based LLC which I transferred USD into from Australia.

To wire money to my Attorney for deposit, and settlement funds I needed to set up an Authority with Wells Fargo which allows me to initiate wire transfers via email (and they contact me for a PIN number, which they have issued).

It helps to have a relationship with someone in the branch who can answer questions via email, rather than staying up late and calling a Help Desk number.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.