All Topics / Help Needed! / Renovation courses/mentoring

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of waydo77waydo77
    Participant
    @waydo77

Hi all,

Me again, my partner and I are looking into doing Cherie barbers course on renovating, but believe it to be a bit overpriced, we have researched all the forums on here about her but no one wants to go too in depth about her course for some reason.

I basically want to know if her course is the best or is it just so overpriced that people think it is the best?

What other options are there for renovation courses and or mentoring, any info greatly appreciated.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

A friend of mine just did it. I was thinking about it but I had too many things on. She said it was great. Very detailed and she has many proformas and gives specific details about what to look for, how to research and area etc.
    I've heard her speak a few times and she seems to really know her stuff. If I was going to do a renovating course, that would be the one I'd do.

When I get a free day I'm going to visit my friend and look at the stuff she received. Apparently it's 20+kg of stuff. I'm very interested to see it. When I heard Cherie speak she showed some of her proformas. She seemed to have a form for everything. But my friend said she didn't have a detailed scope of works which I found very strange.

Is this the strategy you are wishing to apply?  to sell for profit or buy/rent?

Profile photo of waydo77waydo77
    Participant
    @waydo77

hey catalyst,

yes we plan to renovate and sell for profit and keep probably one out of the five with a decent yield. once we get into it hoping to do 3+ in the first year, and gradually increase the amount to 5+ reno’s and increase the complexity of them going from cosmetic to structural to possibly subdivide, develop etc.

I believe cheries course has a bit of developing and subdivision info but not too sure, I would be keen to met up with someone who has done the course and has the resources to have a chat and a bit of a look.

It is strange that there is no scope of works, do you mean costing in the scope of works or just the order in which to do each renovation? I was under the impression this would be included in the course?

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

You can learn how to carry out most cosmetic renos via youtube – and it's free :)

I wanted to have a go at tiling in the last IP and good old youtube provided step by step instructions – brilliant!

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Participant
    @waydo77

i dare say youtube wouldnt go into depth as much?, im more interested in the strategies to toroughly research the suburb specifically for renovations, to buy the property, lease options etc, managing trades efficiently and staging the property for sale also the way to present it to the bank to increase chances of obtaining loans.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Youtube is more for things such as "how to remove floor tiles". 

Cherie's course is more about the smarts of how to manage the reno and the tradies you hire, how to budget, choose the property etc.  You won't be holding any tools in your hand at Cherie's course learning how to be a tradie.  As she rightfully points out, it's best to outsource most of that sort of thing to the experts.

It is a really jam-packed course so make sure you are very well rested before you attend.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of grantos_champosgrantos_champos
    @grantos_champos

Hi Waydo,

If you are looking at project managing the renovations then a good start might be a book effective project management. There is a lot more involved than just managing tradies. You'll need to learn to negotiate contracts, prepare cost estimates, prepare budgets, prepare schedules etc. Then you need to manage budgets/time/your team/tradies/stakeholders/variations/risks etc. The fundamentals will all be the same across most literature. Ebay/Gumtree are alot cheaper than doing one of the reno courses.

Re strategies for picking a suburb – Cherie does the big structural renos aimed at probably the higher end of the market where as someone like Nathan Birch does the more bread and butter properties. I guess it depends what sort of properties you would like to aim at renovating.

Participant
    @catalyst

We are thinking of doing a few buy/reno/sell. We have done a few buy/reno/hold and have made very nice capital gains. If we had sold any we would have made a nice profit for 5 weeks work. These are bread and butter properties. So we figure moving into the next price bracket will net us some great profits.

You definitely learn as you go and I'm glad we started small and worked our way up to a full reno. This has meant we didn't make any costly errors along the way We've only done minor structural so far (walls out, etc). Youtube is great for learning hands on trades but that has nothing to do with Cherie Barbers course.

The most important thing is researching what and where to buy. She teaches that.

Waydo77. What city are you in?

Profile photo of BennyteeBennytee
    Participant
    @ten_burner

I went to a reno kings seminar it was much cheaper than Cherie barbers, but I think "the complete reno system" is great and again much cheaper it has spread sheets and templates and costings for there projects they have done in the dvd set, Im just saying shop around other people are offering the same info for less

Participant
    @waydo77

Grantos- I believe Cherie’s course focuses on the fundamentals of the skills u have mentioned, I think it would be up to me to refine these skills in my own way because we all have different ways of doing things, as long as my system works at least..

Catalyst- good point with Cherie’s course, I realize it is all about the analytical part of the Reno and not hands on, which doesn’t phase me, the price does.. I am from Adelaide, but plan to move to qld, possibly mackay or Brisbane by years end , and carry on my renovation plans, hoping to get my foot in the door in a Reno or two in Adelaide first though.

Ten burner- did you do the Reno kings course? If so what were your thoughts and do u still renovate today?

Profile photo of lisasunlisasun
    @lisasun

I signed up for her course few weeks ago.

To me, to go to a live workshop is a lot better than reading books at home.

I started with Steve's book and after that I was very interested in property investment.

Although I read his book few times but it still didn't give me a clear idea how to start.

You get more out of a live workshop than watching youtube and reading books at home.

That's prob just me. I just find it a lot more effective and more efficient so I am willing to pay that much for it.

Participant
    @catalyst

I went to a couple of hours talk with the Reno Kings. Hated it. All that screaming, hype stuff. I couldn't stand  weekend of it.

In the scheme of things I don't think Cherie's course is that expensive. You'll make ten times that on your first reno. Go it alone and you could lose ten times that. Not saying you can't do it alone but I think you need to start small. There are a LOT of things that can go wrong. We learn something new with each reno.

Participant
    @waydo77

just got an email for a discount on dean and elises, program for nearly 50% off, dont think ill take it up but has anyone done this course? what are your thoughts?

cherie gets the nod for now i think, just hope she doesnt sell other components after the course, like to do this renovation I would recommend buying my tradie access pack or, some kind of list on where to buy renovation building products or the like..

Profile photo of S.WadeS.Wade
    Participant
    @glen-hardey

Hi;

Has anyone purchased the renovation pack from the property investing store;

This covers alot of things when doing Reno's; Look at this first and compare; I purchased it; it's a good guide to start with; I've completed two Reno's before buying it; picked up on alot of things;
     I seen Cherie speaking in perth last month & she's got alot of stuff to go through; lots of charts etc; But both courses cover the same things.

Just a thought…

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86

If you can get the Renovate for Profit couse for 50% off then that is a good deal. It is very useful- spreadsheets, videos. audio etc. I do not do renovate for profit as such, but it has lots of good ideas that can be applied to other strategies like developments and subdivisions.

Cheers,
    Luke

Profile photo of BennyteeBennytee
    Participant
    @ten_burner

Hi Waydo to answer your question,

yes the reno kings course helped me from making a few common mistakes early on in renovating so yes there course definately saved more than the cost, I did it in 2008 off the top of my head I think it as $1800 for a couple to go I have done 4 renos since all were profitable (some more than others)

I also brought the Complete reno system by Dean & Louise parker which I think is fantastic, alot of people talk about renovations like its a black art and that they have the secret, it isnt and its not worth 4k,

Participant
    @catalyst
    waydo77 wrote:
    just got an email for a discount on dean and elises, program for nearly 50% off, dont think ill take it up but has anyone done this course? what are your thoughts? cherie gets the nod for now i think, just hope she doesnt sell other components after the course, like to do this renovation I would recommend buying my tradie access pack or, some kind of list on where to buy renovation building products or the like..

When I heard Cherie speak she did have a tradies card where you got discounts at places she uses. You get that when you do her course.

Profile photo of Invest to RetireInvest to Retire
    @invest-to-retire

A couple I know went through the course and said the course was invaluable. If you decide to take it, I’d be interested to hear your take as well. Hope you do a follow-up report!

Profile photo of eZyCASHeZyCASH
    @ezycash

I've seen her speak and she definitely knows her stuff. I know someone that did her the course and while he hasnt implemented the stuff, he said it was well worth the money he paid. Goodluck!!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.