All Topics / Finance / New investor – loan structure

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Profile photo of PFrankyXPFrankyX
    @pfrankyx

I am new to investing and doing my finances now to buy my 1st inv prop. I am receiving conflicting information and need some direction on which way to go re loan structure

My situation:
    PPOR – value $650k / loan $470k ($180k equity)

Looking at buying property approx $350k (loan $370 incl costs)

My long term plan is to buy 1 property every 2 years and want the easiest loan structure to do this.

I am wanting to use the equity in my home to leverage into my first inv property. I am aware that i may pay a little mortgage insurance.

The most important thing here is I want to structure the new loans to ensure it benefits me, not the financial people giving me the advice.

My current broker has advised to maintain existing P/I loan and add the new property under the one. Therefore total loan will be $470k+$370k = $840,000 with total value of $1,000,000 (84%)

This seems to make sense, but i believe to add a new property, i need to get all properties valued, which over time may cost a bit, and may get messy at tax time.

Or…

I have been advised of another way by a separate company to rewrite the home loan as interest only, pull the borrowable equity of $50k out of home as an I/O investment loan and use to cover deposit & costs, with the remaining balance being the I/O investment property loan.

Firstly, i am concerned by this to not paying my non-deductible down by having interest only, but it does seem to make more sense to have a separate I/O equity loan to use as deposit & costs and another loan for the property.

I am aware they want me to write all loans under them so they get the commissions, i’m not fussed by this, as long as i am getting the benefit.

Please help here as i am now confused as to what will be the best option for me ‘long term’ and also the best way of getting the highest tax benefit.

Thanks

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hiya

Welcome to the forum.

Run from the first guy.

You need to set-up a second interest only loan against your current PPOR loan, this will be used as the deposit/costs on your IP.

You then set up a second interest only (stand alone) loan for the remaining portion (with the same or another lender – depends on where the best fit is for you).

So in the end, you'll have three facilities.

1. Current loan against PPOR
    2. IO equity release against PPOR (used for deposit/costs on IP)
    3. IO loan for IP

There's a fair bit more to consider given your plan to purchase more – but this gives you a general idea of the initial structure.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of RF CowmanRF Cowman
    @rf-cowman

Hey Franky

I note you mention you have 180k of equity. Understand there is a difference between Equity & Usable Equity. In most cases lenders will allow you to access up to 90% (if you're happy to pay mortgage insurance) of your existing property vaule (held, not purchasing). So in your case if your PPOR is "valued" at $650,000 and your debt/limits are $470,000 you'd have approx $115,000 Usable Equity.

So you could keep your existing loan (as P&I or restructure it to Int only – there are pros's and con's to both). Then setup a secondary loan (secured against you PPOR) to access that ($115,000 – this would best be setup Int only) again assuming you're happy to pay LMI to access more capital/cash? These new funds can then be used as "Deposit(s)" for your new IP purchase(s). As the loan will be interest only you'll only pay interest on the funds drawn for "deposits/costs" (so if you don't use all of the $115,000 you're not going to pay interest on the money you don't use). You'd then setup different loan(s) (as Jamie mentioned) for the IP property purchase (and future property purchases). These loans can be secured up to 95% of the new purchase property value (plus LMI), depending on the security type and location. Your 5% deposit, plus purchase costs will come from your $115,000 loan. Remember by only putting down a 5% deposit you will pay the highest LMI premiums (the more deposit you put down the lower the LMI premiums will become). Some people believe "cash is king" and are happy to pay more in LMI costs to hold onto more cash at bank. Others think LMI is a waste of money, and try and avoid paying it (by putting in a larger deposits). Remember if you only use the cash from the $115,000 loan for "investment purposes" the interest that you pay on the loan should be tax deductible (caution, I'm not an accountant, so do your own home work). But just don't mix up personal expenditure (like I wana buy a new car or go on a holiday) from this account.    

Agree with Jamie, the first Brokers comments seem strange and not in your best interest.  

A good broker should be able to take you through the Pro's and Con's of the above. As again it's just a starting point.

Best of luck!!!

Profile photo of PFrankyXPFrankyX
    @pfrankyx

In my mind, i have always thought it be best to pay down as much as you can of your non-deductible debt and use any additional funds to invest. So why would i extend the LVR on my PPOR?

Sure, yes i am accessing these funds for investment, therefore deductible, but if i draw at 90% ($115k), but only use $50k, will i only pay LMI on the amount used or the total loan amount?

I need to get my head around what portion of the 3 separate loans a i paying LMI on? Is it the additional equity i am taking on my PPOR or is it on the 3rd I/O loan for the IP? I’m a visual person and need little pictures to really get an idea, can anyone draw this out :)

I am meeting with accountants this week to choose one (i have always done my own tax) to get direction on these certain things. But it sounds like i need a few more opinions from local Brokers.

Anyone based in Sydney to meet and discuss further?

@rf-cowman

Yep you're right paying down non deductible debt should be a priority. Not saying you shouldn't do this. It's just you want to quarantine your non deductible debt and deductible debt. So you should have seperate loans for this. If you had $50,000 cash – you'd pay this off your "home loan" and then create a seperate loan to reborrow it to use for investment (hopefully without LMI). That way you've paid down your non deductible debt and released equity for investment purposes.

Unfortunately you'd pay LMI on the total amount. Hence my comment (assuming you're happy to pay LMI). Again if you're a "cash is king" investor you may want to release as much cash/equity as possible. But others want to avoid it, as it can be expensive. It's about finding the balance that's right for you.

That's a little complicated…but yeah drawing a picture would help . Effectively you're paying LMI on all the loans (assuming your borrowings are greater than 80%). But by not cross securitising your properties you can keep the LMI premiums lower. If you remain with your current lender (and you previously paid LMI) you may be able to structure the loans so you only pay an increased premium for the new borrowings (again more complicated, but may be possible). This could save you some money. Also remember the LMI costs may be depreciated (assuming they form part of your setup for investment). So there could be some benefit returned aside from having access to additional capital/cash.

Yes definitely get a good accountant (and good broker). Best to get these things in order before you put your offer in.

Sorry I'm based in Perth, but I am sure there's a few reputable Brokers in Sydney on this site.

@pfrankyx

So essentially what i am wanting to do is reduce as much of my PPOR P/I loan but reallocate the available equity to an investment loan.

Therefore over time i consistently use my PPOR for equity and redraw and keep topping up the investment loan for a deposit on the next property??? But in reality, that investment / equity loan still uses my PPOR as security? Or, am i best off using any equitity in the IP to use as a deposit for the next property and create another equity loan against that property?

Sorry if these questions may seem repetitive, but i just need to get it in my head before i commit to one product or the other.

Profile photo of gibbo1gibbo1
    Participant
    @gibbo1

Hi PF,

Yes, by reducing your P/I loan and the investment loans staying as IO this will help improve your cash flow.

The subsquent purchases can have the deposits funded by equity in both your PPOR and IP's. 

Regards

Gibbo

Participant
    @jamie-m
    PFrankyX wrote:
    So essentially what i am wanting to do is reduce as much of my PPOR P/I loan but reallocate the available equity to an investment loan. Therefore over time i consistently use my PPOR for equity and redraw and keep topping up the investment loan for a deposit on the next property??? But in reality, that investment / equity loan still uses my PPOR as security? Or, am i best off using any equitity in the IP to use as a deposit for the next property and create another equity loan against that property? Sorry if these questions may seem repetitive, but i just need to get it in my head before i commit to one product or the other.

Hello again

I think you just need to keep things simple.

Going back to the original example with the three facilities, when it comes time to purchase another IP – you could either extend loan 2 or loan 3 (depending on where the equity is).

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

@rf-cowman

No problems, you’re starting out, one of the best things to do is – ask lots of questions until you understand J  Yes that’s a common strategy used (paying down PPOR debt, to release equity for investment). The unfortunate downside is, by paying down your PPOR debt the property you’re currently in may not make a good investment property in the future (another topic, but worth discussing with your advisor/broker). Remember you don’t have to migrate the available equity immediately, but paying down your PPOR loan you’re going to have the option to release this equity when/as needed for investment.  Unfortunately, many investors need to rely on their PPOR equity to build their portfolio. It would be great if you didn’t have to, as this would reduce your exposure/risk.  But in reality, the equity has to come from somewhere (unless you have a heap of cash lying around).  But the good news is, in the future you may be able to become less reliant on your PPOR equity as your investments (hopefully) grow in value. So to answer your question yes you can release your IP equity down the track.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

PFranky

Just drop Jamie an email and get him to sort it out for you.

He has vast experience in the area and even though he comes from Canberra we dont hold that against him.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Heath06Heath06
    @heath06

Jamie,

I agree with you on the structuring of the loans; however, I have a question for you myself.

Should Franky set up an 100% offset account against PPOR?

So the structure would look like this:
    1. Current loan against PPOR + 100% offset
    2. IO equity release against PPOR (used for deposit/costs on IP)
    3. IO loan for IP

Ta
    Heath

Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Heath

Yep – if an offset is going to be set-up against any of these, it's the first loan.

I'd even go a step further and consider setting up loan 1 as IO as well.

I've written about this structure here

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Heath

You are just about there.

As Jamie mentioned if you think one day you might move out and rent out your current PPOR then go IO on the PPOR loan.

If not then P & I is fine.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

@pfrankyx

Thanks for your comments, this is becoming clearer with each input. PPOR Loan 1 already has an offset set up against this loan.

From a financial view Jamie, why would i consider my PPOR loan as I/O? For what benefit will this provide in the new or distant future, keeping in mind that i do plan on adding a new property/ies every 2 yrs (depending on growth)?

If there’s anything else you feel i need to know, please let me know.

Thanks again

Profile photo of Heath06Heath06
    @heath06

Thanks Jamie!!
    I had an idea that was the case, I guess the question was more for confirmation purposes.

G'day Richard, how are you?
    Yes mate, We have no real plans to move out just yet but will eventually turn the P&I to an I/O sometime down the track.

Cheers guys

Heath 

Participant
    @jamie-m
    PFrankyX wrote:
    Thanks for your comments, this is becoming clearer with each input. PPOR Loan 1 already has an offset set up against this loan. From a financial view Jamie, why would i consider my PPOR loan as I/O? For what benefit will this provide in the new or distant future, keeping in mind that i do plan on adding a new property/ies every 2 yrs (depending on growth)? If there's anything else you feel i need to know, please let me know. Thanks again

Hi Franky

For the reason Richard mentioned above your post – if you ever turn your PPOR into an IP, you wouldn't want to have paid down a large chunk of that nice deductible debt.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

@pfrankyx

I have received confirmation from my first lender / current broker, he has said:

‘We use your property and the new property as security which means the Loans are taking into account the combined value of both properties therefore using the equity you have in your existing home. For simplicity we don’t need to draw down onyour existing home to 80% and use it as a deposit then borrow against the other. We just leave yours as is and borrow 100% plus costs at Interest Only against the other and have it all interest only and you will then have just 2 loans”.

This certainly makes sense in keeping things simple and not drawing on my PPOR loan back up to 80%

My only concern here is using PPOR as security. How long will this be held as security against the IP loan?

Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Franky

Do a search on “cross collaterisation”

This is what your current broker is trying to do to your loans.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

@pfrankyx

Ok, so using Cross Collarterisation to link both loans / properties together, the bank has a better hold on my properties if anything goes wrong.

The only benefit that i can see from using this method is to limit the LMI i pay

PPOR – value $650k / loan $470k ($180k equity)
    Looking at buying property approx $350k (loan $370 incl costs)

Total Loan $840,000 / Value $1,000,000 (84%); therefore only paying LMI this LVR

or

PPOR Loan – $470,000 / Value $650,000
    Loan 2 (deposit etc) – borrowable equity above = $50,000
    Loan 3 (IP / I.O) – (Total loan $370 – $50k deposit / costs = $320,000 / Value $350,000)
    LVR for Loan 3 = 91.4%

Does this mean that i would then pay the much higher rate of mortgage insurance but then this loan 3 is secured by only 1 property? The sacrafice to pay more now in LMI to have a better structured loan.

… i think i’m getting it now.

@rf-cowman
    PFrankyX wrote:
    Ok, so using Cross Collarterisation to link both loans / properties together, the bank has a better hold on my properties if anything goes wrong. The only benefit that i can see from using this method is to limit the LMI i pay 1. PPOR – value $650k / loan $470k ($180k equity) Looking at buying property approx $350k (loan $370 incl costs) Total Loan $840,000 / Value $1,000,000 (84%); therefore only paying LMI this LVR or 2. PPOR Loan – $470,000 / Value $650,000 Loan 2 (deposit etc) – borrowable equity above = $50,000 Loan 3 (IP / I.O) – (Total loan $370 – $50k deposit / costs = $320,000 / Value $350,000) LVR for Loan 3 = 91.4% Does this mean that i would then pay the much higher rate of mortgage insurance but then this loan 3 is secured by only 1 property? The sacrafice to pay more now in LMI to have a better structured loan. … i think i'm getting it now.

Yes, that's right Franky hence the bank always trying to get as much security as possible. Not only is it a lower risk for them, it also makes it harder for you to leave them in the future (a term known as Brick-walling). 

1) Funnily enough Franky this is where things actually get more complicated. As by Cross Securitising you can actually pay a higher LMI premium (even though the overall LVR could be lower). The reason for this, LMI is a risk calculated premium. So a larger loan amount becomes a greater potential risk to the bank, so the LMI premiums can/will increase.  LMI premiums on a $800,000 loan will generally be higher than on a $300,000 loan at the same LVR (loan to value ratio).

2) So as LMI increases with Loan amount and LVR a good brokers job is to balance the two, to get you the best result. For example it might actually be better to get a little more equity out of your PPOR (more than $50,000) so you could decrease the new borrowings on your IP to 90%. At 90% the Premiums will be surprisingly lower than at 91.4%. But obviously you have to balance this out with your PPOR loan, as it does not increase in LVR too greatly triggering a larger LMI premium on that side of things.

Does that make sense?

But you're right, is often viewed by investors as; It's better to pay LMI/pay more LMI for a better structure. As most of the Brokers on this forum will tell you; Cross Securitising isn't in your best interest, it's in the Banks.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.