All Topics / Value Adding / Adding Equity Through Solar Panels?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Different rules for different states by the sound of it Janine.

Profile photo of JpcashflowJpcashflow
    Participant
    @jpcashflow

I agree with IP Freely 100%,

No houses are exactly the same!!!

When a valuer goes to value a propert the rental income does not have any postive or negative effect, The reason why?? rental agreements for each home may be different, One person may pay $50.00 a week more but maybe they only have a 6 month agreement or some one might be paying $75.00 less per week but have commited to a two year option.

Bugee how much value will it add? I think different valuers will value it differently….

Also is your home still worth what you paid for it three years ago? thats the another question as well…

Jpcashflow | JP Financial Group
    http://www.jpfinancialgroup.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Your first port of call in finance :)

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Perhaps I didn’t make it simple enough, sorry folks.
    The reason I chose to use a hypothetical example and said the magic words “all other things being equal”, was to create an example in which we could isolate only one single aspect of a property and examine its effect on valuation.
    So I was only looking at the topic – the effect of the solar system on the property’s value.
    Please let’s not scuttle the comparison and discussion by then saying that no 2 properties are identical, we all know that already, so don’t miss the point entirely.
    Just isolate the solar system and its effects on the property as I’ve tried to do and estimate what you think the effect of an extra $75 per week rental income would be.
    Obviously a tenant will appreciate free electricity if the landlord offers the property with elec included and will pay more rent.
    Vacancy will be lower because it’s a sweet deal for a tenant and discourages moving, and would make tenant replacement easier.
    Relet fees and advertising costs are lower with less tenant turnover.

What do you think ?
    cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

The tenant cannot see past the end of their nose when it comes to running costs. They’re more interested in getting the rent down than worry about power costs why else would you want a/c?

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia
    bugeye23 wrote:
     The angle i'm coming from here is I don't want to sell my property in the near future but want to see if the banks would recognise the value difference in my property  with a income producing asset added to my PPOR? Because what the bank values my house at and what the market would pay for it are 2 different things..

Hi Bugeye – the short answer is no. As valuations go on comparable sales data, which of course will depend on houses in the locality that have sold that are 'similar' and both have or have not got this addition of solar panels, it will make minimal if any difference to a valuation.
    I have seen the most environmentally built houses that owners think are worth three times what they really are just for the way they have done them (nice to if you like that style) but essentially a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house on 2 acres with a lock up shed in Bouganville will be worth $XYZ with a slight variation depending on date build, street appeal, condition etc rather than solar panels.

GO for it though if the actual sums add up for you to save money!

Cheers

Profile photo of investorjohninvestorjohn
    @investorjohn
    bugeye23 wrote:
    2. whoever buys my house in the future would never have to pay for electricity again.

Who knows? Maybe I’ll be the one to buy your house in the future! I’ll never pay for electricity again. :)

Profile photo of a_d_r_i_a_na_d_r_i_a_n
    Participant
    @a_d_r_i_a_n
    v8ghia wrote:
    bugeye23 wrote:
     The angle i'm coming from here is I don't want to sell my property in the near future but want to see if the banks would recognise the value difference in my property  with a income producing asset added to my PPOR? Because what the bank values my house at and what the market would pay for it are 2 different things..

Hi Bugeye – the short answer is no. As valuations go on comparable sales data, which of course will depend on houses in the locality that have sold that are 'similar' and both have or have not got this addition of solar panels, it will make minimal if any difference to a valuation.
    I have seen the most environmentally built houses that owners think are worth three times what they really are just for the way they have done them (nice to if you like that style) but essentially a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house on 2 acres with a lock up shed in Bouganville will be worth $XYZ with a slight variation depending on date build, street appeal, condition etc rather than solar panels.

GO for it though if the actual sums add up for you to save money!

Cheers

I agree with v8ghia

I had a valuation on one of my IPs late last year, and was chatting away to the valuator. Conversation got onto solar panels and there value, but until they are more common they will not add much to valuation figure. They estimated within the next 5 years they will be more an added value of your IP.

Cheers

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

i think you're probably better off with more cosmetic renovations – alot of buyers and renters base decisions on what they see and their emotional feelings about that…

i think you should also consider the demand for houses with solar panels in your area…

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.