All Topics / Value Adding / granny flat on subdivided land. Help please! :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of jer29ejer29e
    Participant
    @jer29e

Hi

I am thinking of adding a granny flat on a subdivided land. 1st timer, would really appreciate some advice. what procedure do I need to follow and are they easy to rent out? Thanks for your help.

Profile photo of Stacey SurveyingStacey Surveying
    Participant
    @stacey-surveying

Hi,

Welcome to the forum! (see it’s your first post).

As always with building new dwellings you’ll need to talk to your local council’s planner as a starting point. Alternatively you can speak with a private planner (eg. Breece on this forum).

There will be restrictions on the building depending on your zoning, overlays & covenants (if any). Some councils may ask for a Feature and Level Survey to accompany the design when applying for your permit. The vast majority of councils in Melbourne for example ask for this. It all really comes down to where you live.

I’ve done some work with granny flat designers who can handle the whole process for the customer. As I haven’t developed any granny flats myself I’m not sure on what the differences in costs are between doing it yourself or letting someone else go about it. It’s not a very tricky process by any means, so if you can do it yourself.

Cheers,

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86

Whether they are easy to rent out or not depends on

1- The quality of the dwelling (is it a cheap and nasty granny flat or a genuine secondary dwelling)
    2- Where it is located. They are easy to rent in good locations but can be hard to rent in poor locations. Of course everything can be rented if the price is right.

Where are you located? And what is your budget (including plans and approvals)? Are you going to be an owner builder or get an experienced and liscenced builder to build the granny flat?

Cheers,
    Luke

Profile photo of BrazenBrazen
    Participant
    @brazen
    jer29e wrote:
    Hi

I am thinking of adding a granny flat on a subdivided land. 1st timer, would really appreciate some advice. what procedure do I need to follow and are they easy to rent out? Thanks for your help.

Hi Jer29e,

The subdivided land must, itself, qualify for granny flat approval before you can consider the process of design and approval.
    If you’re in NSW, there’s the State legislation which lists the minimum size (450 sq m) and width at the building line (12m) plus other requirements regarding zoning and flooding/heritage etc.

If that’s all good, the next step in the process is to check the more specific development standards relating to minimum landscaping, floor space ratios, heights etc contained here:
    http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/maintop/view/inforce/epi+364+2009+cd+0+N

Look at the bottom of the document which is ‘Schedule 1- Development Standards for Secondary Dwellings’.
    I hope this helps.

Serge.

Brazen | Granny Flat Approvals Sydney
    http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Granny Flat Approvals Guru

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.