All Topics / General Property / Estimate building cost 5 level Residential Development with Roof top

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of Tony VicTony Vic
    @tony-vic

Hi All

I have a property in Melbourne {Moreland Council} 481 sqm land size.
    Would like to obtain estimate of building cost any ideas for this type of Development.Vision is :
    Ground Floor:
    Entrance and office or retail space. back of that would be storage and bike stands,waste room. no CAR PARK REQUIRED.
    First to Fourth Floor:
    26 Apartments all one bed rooms
    Also
    Roof top Garden
    lifts to roof top, air-con, around 9 Solar hot water panels on roof.
    This would make it a 5 and a half level development. design will work on this floor space.

Understand the right people will need to arrange this costing.
    I hope this post would make an interesting read for me and others i hope at this early stage.

Cheers all

Profile photo of MackiebMackieb
    @mackieb

what type of development?

Profile photo of MackiebMackieb
    @mackieb

from 2010 rawlinsons: dont use this too accurately as im no expert. better off using your own resources, 2012 building price index not accounted for
    excludes demo and all site considerastions

Ground Floor:
    Entrance and office space. 1650-$1780/m2
    back of that would be storage and bike stands,waste room. no CAR PARK REQUIRED. maybe $600/m2 for this

First to Fourth Floor:
    26 Apartments -1805-1950/m2 med-std finish, (price for up to 3 floors, so treat with caution) no lifts/balconys considered

Also

Roof top Garden: unsure of this ?? 600 maybe. lots of considerations though

lifts to roof top: 90k (2 floors) + 9.5k each extra floor

around 9 Solar hot water panels on roof. not sure

go see a quantity surveyor, they’ll have historical data for ur area for a more accurate sqm cost rates. and also provide information on the design on the building so that life cycle costing is considered

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86

I would certainly be paying for quality advice for this development and not relying on information from a forum. I doubt many people on this forum have any idea whatsoever about this level of development (maybe Richard Taylor, Nigel Kibel or Alistair (I cant remember his last name but he is a mortgage broker with development experience I believe) )

Cheers,
    Luke

Profile photo of Stacey SurveyingStacey Surveying
    Participant
    @stacey-surveying

Hi Tony,

Welcome to propertyinvesting.com. Hope you find it as enlightening as we do here.

I can very highly recommend speaking to Breece http://www.hubplan.com.au/ or Christian http://brutalart.com.au/ who are very frequent users on the forum. A private town planner can give you a thorough feasibility assessment of your project to see what all your options are.

There are numerous professionals on this forum and a wealth of knowledge to be shared.

Good luck with the project!

Cheers,

Profile photo of Stacey SurveyingStacey Surveying
    Participant
    @stacey-surveying
    luke86 wrote:
    I would certainly be paying for quality advice for this development and not relying on information from a forum. I doubt many people on this forum have any idea whatsoever about this level of development (maybe Richard Taylor, Nigel Kibel or Alistair (I cant remember his last name but he is a mortgage broker with development experience I believe) )

Cheers,
    Luke

I suspect you’re talking about Aaron_C. I’ve done a few surveys for him- some very impressive projects there! Definitely knows what he’s talking about.

Profile photo of mortymorty
    @morty

Hi Tony,

Your post really piqued my interest as i am currently in the midst of the planning process on a block in moreland council into 11 apartments over 3 levels.
    It has been a long process (and i haven't even started building yet!) but what i would say to you that it is very difficult to work out a feasibility unless you know what your actual yield will be, ie how many apartments and what size they are.
    Consultants fees for this type of development will be well in excess of $100k and possibly up to $200k if you go right through to the building stage so it is important that you get the right advice early on.

I would first contact an architect who has done similar things to your vision in the same area. Look around and see what's happening about the place and then find out who's designed it. Make sure you look for a streamlined building with simple lines, don't go too complicated as this will just add cost. I could recommend someone if you would like.

Your architect will then look over the site and in conjunction with a townplanner (it would be wise to get a good one on board from the start) work out what they think will be achievable for the site. If you are happy with their proposal they will then organise a pre-app meeting with the council planners to see whether it would be supported or not and then you go from there.

Its a slow process and can take up to a yr or more from first meeting with the architect until your permit is issued.

But if you've got the right site in the right area and you stick to your guns you will do really well out of it.

Good luck with it all and if you need any help or advice i would be more than happy to give you a hand.

Cheers
    Morty

Profile photo of Tony VicTony Vic
    @tony-vic
    Mackieb wrote:
    from 2010 rawlinsons: dont use this too accurately as im no expert. better off using your own resources, 2012 building price index not accounted for
    excludes demo and all site considerastions

Ground Floor:
    Entrance and office space. 1650-$1780/m2
    back of that would be storage and bike stands,waste room. no CAR PARK REQUIRED. maybe $600/m2 for this

First to Fourth Floor:
    26 Apartments -1805-1950/m2 med-std finish, (price for up to 3 floors, so treat with caution) no lifts/balconys considered

Also

Roof top Garden: unsure of this ?? 600 maybe. lots of considerations though

lifts to roof top: 90k (2 floors) + 9.5k each extra floor

around 9 Solar hot water panels on roof. not sure

go see a quantity surveyor, they’ll have historical data for ur area for a more accurate sqm cost rates. and also provide information on the design on the building so that life cycle costing is considered

Hi Mackieb
    Love the way you have placed estimates prices next to each floor area
    Hope to have more feed back using your format with latest pricing estimates.
    Based on the number of views people look to be interested in this Post, so i hope we can have some great replies for all to see.
    FULLY UNDERSTAND the right people will need to be arranged to work this one out.
    Cheers and thanks for the reply.

@tony-vic
    morty wrote:
    Hi Tony,

Your post really piqued my interest as i am currently in the midst of the planning process on a block in moreland council into 11 apartments over 3 levels.
    It has been a long process (and i haven't even started building yet!) but what i would say to you that it is very difficult to work out a feasibility unless you know what your actual yield will be, ie how many apartments and what size they are.
    Consultants fees for this type of development will be well in excess of $100k and possibly up to $200k if you go right through to the building stage so it is important that you get the right advice early on.

I would first contact an architect who has done similar things to your vision in the same area. Look around and see what's happening about the place and then find out who's designed it. Make sure you look for a streamlined building with simple lines, don't go too complicated as this will just add cost. I could recommend someone if you would like.

Your architect will then look over the site and in conjunction with a townplanner (it would be wise to get a good one on board from the start) work out what they think will be achievable for the site. If you are happy with their proposal they will then organise a pre-app meeting with the council planners to see whether it would be supported or not and then you go from there.

Its a slow process and can take up to a yr or more from first meeting with the architect until your permit is issued.

But if you've got the right site in the right area and you stick to your guns you will do really well out of it.

Good luck with it all and if you need any help or advice i would be more than happy to give you a hand.

Cheers
    Morty

Thank for your reply and some very wise advice for all readers of this Post. Fully understand what your talking about.
    Would be interesting to see numbers and estimates. Cheers and good Luck

@tony-vic
    Stacey Surveying wrote:
    Hi Tony,

Welcome to propertyinvesting.com. Hope you find it as enlightening as we do here.

I can very highly recommend speaking to Breece http://www.hubplan.com.au/ or Christian http://brutalart.com.au/ who are very frequent users on the forum. A private town planner can give you a thorough feasibility assessment of your project to see what all your options are.

There are numerous professionals on this forum and a wealth of knowledge to be shared.

Good luck with the project!

Cheers,

THANKS FOR THE WELCOME.
    Looks to be an interesting topic by the number of Views. lol

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.