All Topics / Help Needed! / Should I buy one side of the duplex as investment?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of VPVP
    @vp

Hello Forum Members

I am looking at investing in a duplex property in Perth, however only half the duplex is on sale.

I would like to know what are the pros and cons of the investment.

The block is large (700 sqm) and sub divisible into two.

Duplex is 2×1, no garage or carport, approx 80sqm living area, 20yrs old. In market for 320K.

Suggestions and feedback welcome.

Thank you very much.

Regards
    V

Profile photo of lbluedentolbluedento
    Participant
    @lbluedento

I have contemplated this myself recently. Especially after I came across a duplex where the owners of one half had demolished and we’re rebuilding a separate residence.

Profile photo of EM1010EM1010
    Participant
    @em1010

Hi V,

I came accross a duplex in Perth (Kewdale Area) last year…pretty cheap at $299K. As I did my DD, I realised that there may be restrctions on the property. Any development you may have to make depends on the agreement with the co-orners. The specific one in Kewdale could not be subdivided easily.

I would suggest you enquire with the Council (not the Agent) about the conditions for sub-division, redevelopment etc. Different council may have different rules.

Thanks
    Ely

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86

If the propetry has been subdivided to build a duplex, then it is unlikely that you could buy one of the duplexes and subdivide it again. You need to double check with council and with a planner- it is no point buying one of the duplexes and hoping you can subdivide.

Cheers,
    Luke

Profile photo of parpdconsultantsparpdconsultants
    @parpdconsultants

V – please note that to be able to subdivide the duplex into a Survey Strata, you need the other duplex consent. Both owners need to agree for the conversion.

Cheers
    Peter

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.