All Topics / Overseas Deals / ABC 730 23rd April 2012

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 56 total)
  • Profile photo of lawsjslawsjs
    Participant
    @lawsjs

After a number of approaches to various media outlets finally a ‘proper’ journalist understood what can happen when people who have no business in property marketing are let loose on an unsuspecting public.

Though certainly naive, the results can be (as we have seen here and elsewhere) appalling for the people involved.

With luck a story that has already been shot will air on Monday. Assuming Gillard and Swan can avoid doing anything even more stupid this weekend and it gets bumped of course:)

I have not seen the segment, but I believe the main thrust will be outlining just how easy and nasty the scamming process involving USA property purchases can be.

I suspect it will become compulsory viewing for anyone attempting a US property purchase.

As an aside, I started down the path of telling people about the scams when people (who obviously weren’t thinking) were defending one of the more prolific scammers and whenever I commented directly on their MO, I was either shot down by people who didn’t understand the rip offs or was directly censored. Steve M was cautiously supportive, but I still felt it was worth pushing to find a story that needed a wider audience. Speedy Gonzales posts were brilliant in proving that my suspicions were correct and marketing US property was a better way for scumbags to make money than drug dealing or art forging.

Thanks to posts by Emma, Alex, Jay, Kyler, Tx Cashflow, Ziv etc the scams should be easier to avoid in the future, but a year ago there was no one really around telling ‘the truth’.

I hope the segment tells it like it is. There are at least two very nasty case studies in what can go wrong – and make no mistake, in the beginning we are all easily scammed, there but for the grace of god etc…

I hope you all enjoy the expose.

Profile photo of KnoxOffKnoxOff
    Participant
    @knoxoff

is this   you  ????  

Profile photo of lawsjslawsjs
    Participant
    @lawsjs

I wish:)

My Dad was at school with him. He got caned for something ‘Lawsie’ did.

I did work experience at the ABC in ’84. I was greeted like royalty when I walked in and got sent to a magnificent corner office. I didn’t know what to do so sat there and waited. Someone walked in and the first question they asked was ‘are you related?’ I wasn’t so I was unceremoniously moved out into the corridor…

Then I bought a property on the Hawkesbury. And everyone assumed I was related to the John because he had always liked the area and had a house there. I finally convinced them I wasn’t and then bought a boat called Touchwood. Unbeknowns to me the John had bought a boat called Touchwood similar to mine and then had a fleet of ‘Touchwood’s. It is now ten years since then, and I think the locals _finally_ believe me:):)

In short – I wish I was – the money would be very welcome:)

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle
    lawsjs wrote:
    In short – I wish I was – the money would be very welcome:)

He’s a muppet with a big ego. Carries on like a spoilt brat. I’m sure you have more endearing qualities Laws

The Freckle

Participant
    @lawsjs

You and I would get along fine Freckle – I don’t think we would disagree on much, give me a call if you are ever in Sydney:)

Profile photo of speedy gonzalesspeedy gonzales
    @speedy-gonzales

Very much looking forward for this to go to air. I did speak to the journalist doing the story and did have a very minor contribution thanks to you Jeremy….. although not as much as I would have liked due to time constraints.

Like you….back last year a lot of my posts were removed or censored by the moderators with my ranting about the activities of these companies….some of the names I used were considered defamatory but I stand by them 100%.

Lets keep spreading the word so hopefully these guys will be run out of business. I agree….the honest & genuine ones that contribute to this forum such as Jay, Alex, Kyler, Emma and Texas Cash Cow show that you can make a successful investment in the USA….just need to deal with the right people who know what they are talking about instead of the “pretenders”

Participant
    @lawsjs

I do not know what will be the outcome of the story when it shows (hopefully tomorrow) but I want to make it very clear my experience about being censored was the same as Speedy above. Without Speedy there would have been no story – I think a lot of people will owe him a lot of thanks.

I wrote on another website (partly in frustration after having spent a year trying to explain what the issues _really_ are) that bad things happen when good people say nothing.

I was pissed off that what I knew was an obvious scam was tacitly being supported through deletion of MY comments that were 100% accurate. Speedy sent me a link to a post and once I knew there were two of us I was not going to fail in ‘outing’ the story.

Sadly, at least one of the people in this segment would have not been financially ruined in retirement if more people had the guts that Speedy did.

Lets see what tomorrow brings…

PS: I commented above about the segment being on provided Swan and Gillard didn’t do anything very silly. I didn’t allow for Peter Slipper:)

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon

Starts in 18 mins, lets hope it doesn’t get Slippered.

Profile photo of Michael 888Michael 888
    Participant
    @michael-888
    bardon wrote:
    Starts in 18 mins, lets hope it doesn't get Slippered.

It slipped their mind…………  

Profile photo of waydo77waydo77
    Participant
    @waydo77

i think it got slippered?

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon

It’s on tomorrow night assuming no more Labor scandals.

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

There has been around $650 million spent in the US by Australian investors over the lat 12 months. Many of the suppliers in America are wholesalers. What is also important is that many Australians buy cheap property. In my opinion I do not understand why Australian buy properties at $30,000 in cities like Detroit. If you really want to invest in the United States you should travel there and at least try and understand the market for yourself. Personally I am going to look at some commercial property.

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of Alex SCAlex SC
    Participant
    @alex-sc
    Nigel Kibel wrote:
    There has been around $650 million spent in the US by Australian investors over the lat 12 months. Many of the suppliers in America are wholesalers. What is also important is that many Australians buy cheap property. In my opinion I do not understand why Australian buy properties at $30,000 in cities like Detroit. If you really want to invest in the United States you should travel there and at least try and understand the market for yourself. Personally I am going to look at some commercial property.

Nigel

Well  I am sure you know about me and my company  and what I do , and which market I am in by now.  I have just recently jumped into commercial my self. Picked up a 13 unit in SC and working on two 48 units. Big jump for us but commercial seems to be more of what I want to be in.

Let me know how you do with the commercial end

Thanks

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

Sure Alex
    Will do, It is difficult to know what is best. However given the returns I can make investors through development in Australia it is difficult just to source $30,000 properties that do not give solid returns and offer little or no growth. What got me into the US market in 2005 was travelling to Texas on behalf of a group to buy a 105 unit 3 million dollar complex. As you would know Alex you can get commercial loans a lot easier than residential so it mean that investors can leverage in the United States

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle
    lawsjs wrote:
    You and I would get along fine Freckle – I don’t think we would disagree on much, give me a call if you are ever in Sydney:)

I usually only ever pass through the place these days. Spent about 9 years there. Every time I spend any sort of time there, usually layovers, the traffic seems to get worse just a little bit more. Does my head in. Up here in Port Hedland there’s no traffic lights (yet) and only one stop sign… bliss

The Freckle

Participant
    @lawsjs

Disappointed.

MyUSA was the original driver for this but the others of their ilk were given an equal serve.

A good start but much left to be said. FWIW my interview ran 40+ minutes and barely touched on the subjects shown. Emma171’s went double that.

Better than nothing, but I would put it as nothing more than a good start…

Profile photo of nyc88nyc88
    Participant
    @nyc88

Lawsjs, you and Emma did very well in your interviews. Well done!

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Freckle wrote:
    Up here in Port Hedland there's no traffic lights (yet) and only one stop sign… bliss The Freckle

Has the person responsible for putting the stop sign in been run out of town yet?

Participant
    @lawsjs

Thanks, but they were given everything. A complete nuts and bolts ground up expose of the US RE market and they (Greg Hoy) showed nothing but the rip off ‘glitter’ in relation to two companies. They had enough for an entire 4corners expose on the US market.

I dislike the MyUSA thing, but believe me, they are doing nothing other than exactly the same as dozens of others. They may mean well in the beginning, but greed takes over almost immediately.

I give up trying to explain, but please be very cautious with everyone flogging this stuff…

An ersatz story IMHO, but thank you for the comment.

Profile photo of speedy gonzalesspeedy gonzales
    @speedy-gonzales

Jeremy, Relief to see that you don't look anything like John Laws !! Agree….given the extensive information I thought it was light on but nonetheless at least a start. You would know from information we exchanged for the story. Funny thing Jeremy…I forgot about Jason Paris. My wife & I went to a seminar last year at Currumbin RSL on the Gold Coast. I had been given some local real estate papers last year and it was an ad to go see some information put on by US Property Sales Australia and was in conjunction with Coldwell Banker at Palm Beach. Turned out it was an info session put on at the end of one of their auction nights. They gave a brief talk about how many offices they (Coldwell Banker) have in the US. Before it began I had a nice glass of red on the balcony overlooking Currumbin Creek. Then I saw a lady by the name of Dee Lampe (think she has changed her surname since but thats who I recognized her as). She is the mother of Jason Paris. I immediately said to my wife……"this is a scam if she is involved". Anyway….curiosity got the better of me so I wanted to know what they had to say. <moderator: delete personal comment> Selling Las Vegas condo's or at least thats what I recall. Anyway……I never took it further but as I said….the funny thing is I completely forgot about Jason Paris in my warnings and gripes about MyUSAProperty !! But overall as I said at least the wheel has started turning. <moderator: delete personal comment>

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.