All Topics / Overseas Deals / UK vs. Australian Property Prices

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of w8upw8up
    @w8up

Hi,
    Everyone seems to be going on about how expensive real estate is in Australia. Well my family are considering moving to the UK (Bristol) and from my, albeit brief, research, for what you get for your money in regard to space and land size, Australia is still looking like a bargain in comparison! 

Profile photo of KnoxOffKnoxOff
    Participant
    @knoxoff
    w8up wrote:
    Hi,
    Everyone seems to be going on about how expensive real estate is in Australia. Well my family are considering moving to the UK (Bristol) and from my, albeit brief, research, for what you get for your money in regard to space and land size, Australia is still looking like a bargain in comparison! 

You   do know  its  full of  poms , dont you ?

hey  dont get me wrong  its a great place to vist…………  but

Profile photo of bricmanbricman
    Participant
    @bricman

Depends on where you go, if you go to London (central) it is full of Ozzies!!

Lifestyle here in OZ is unquestionably better, no doubt about it. But if you are like many Ex pats the
    family card has a big draw on you, even if it is used an often overused cliche it has a lot of truth to it.

I would love to find a way of combining two lifestyles but I am not that fortunate, maybe this should be one
    of my goals that i work on.
    If you need any information on Bristol I can help you out, as i was born there and still know the area.

I know for a fact that Bristol has dipped in price somewhat in the last 3 years, it is definitely a good time to
    be a buyer, some areas still around 20% less than before the GFC, as ever there are good and bad places
    in every city.

By doing some very quick numbers for a buy to let, I believe the UK is better value at the moment, having had a big dip
    in prices, the market will eventually get back up again, and the average prices are around 4/5 times the average wage, compared with Sydney, which is much higher. But compared with London I do not know that market and am sure it is more expensive than even Sydney.

All the best
    Ian

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Ian

I am one of those Poms although have been living in Brisbane for the last 15 years or so.

Manage to spend 2-3 months a year back in the UK and then the rest of the year in Qld and wouldnt have it any other way.

I am from further South than Bristol but know the area fairly well and love the West Country.

I was over there last year on a buying trip for some of my Qld clients and must say i thought the UK was ridiculously cheap and rental returns were so much better. No land Tax, Council rates (if you are a landlord) and exempt from Stamp Duty at the lower end.

Interest rates a fraction of what the current rate in Australia is and cost of living half of what we pay in Qld.

Bristol is a fairly reasonable sized City so expect to pay a little more than slightly further out. Bath and Yeovil are not that far away and are considerably cheaper.

All in all you have to understand that the population is 3 times what we have here in Australia and wages are less so everything is comparible. I bought a new BMW Z4 which we garage over there last October for 16500 pounds new and the same thing here would have been $50000 +. Insurance / registration is less than i pay in Qld but fuel is more expensive.

Let us know if you want so useful property websites and i can email them over to you.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of w8upw8up
    @w8up

The area that my potential job is located in Bristol is the suburb/area of Clifton, which coincidentally seems to be the most expensive. It seems that for a 2 bedroom flat in a Terrace, the starting point is about 250k GBP and terraced houses start at about $375K GBP for a shoebox.

Ian,
    Do you know much about the surrounding areas – any recommendations … ideally I would like to be able to get at least a semi-detached house rather than an flat.  How about the smaller towns on the west side, over the bridge, e.g. Leigh Woods, do you know much about this area?

Richard,
    What sort of deposit are UK banks requiring at the moment to obtain a home loan, and would they take account of overseas equity back in Australia? I already have a UK bank account with Barclays.

Cheers,

Daren

Profile photo of bricmanbricman
    Participant
    @bricman

Hi Daren

Yeah Clifton is the double bay of Bristol, without the water and glam!

Leigh woods would be expensive too, my Auntie lives in Bishopston which is a very nice and established area,
    Westbury-on-trym, Henleaze, Henbury, all those areas areas are very nice.
    Southmead has lots of council estates as does Lawrenece Weston to be avoided.

I come from the south side of the river and prices there have even increased over the years,
    you will get more bang for your buck tho!

I totally agree with Richard, prices and rental yields are excellent for investors looking in the UK market.

If you want any more info on Bristol you can call me.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.