All Topics / Value Adding / long distance reno?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of waydo77waydo77
    Participant
    @waydo77

hi all,

has anybody successfully carried out a renovation long distance? eg interstate?
    Im talking without visiting the property at all after purchase.

How did you go about it, did you hire someone to manage it or did you manage the trades yourself?
    any advice is great advice…

looking at the possibility of a reno in QLD and i live in SA, Just seeing if it is possible, searched the forums to no availa nd cant say ive read it in any books or mags..

thanks

Profile photo of fingerscrossedfingerscrossed
    Participant
    @fingerscrossed

Hi

I have done a couple of smallish renos from interstate.  New Kitchen, new carpet, paint, curtains, tiling and a bathroom vanity.  I chose the paint colors from where I am in Victoria then arranged for my painter to use this color.  I chose the carpet from Victoria then arranged for the same franchise in QLD to lay.  I chose the curtains I wanted from spotlight then rang spotlight in perth closest to my property and paid them then arranged for my property manager to pick up and have fitted.   I sent a picture of the kitchen I wanted and dealt with a cabinet maker in Perth to complete.  I didnt pay any of these people (except spotlight) until my property manager sent me pictures of the finished result and after I had spoken to the tenants as well to make sure they were happy with the job.  Everything has always gone smoothly.  I did have to get the kitchen guy back 3 times but was a great job in the end.  I would recommend an interstate reno as long as you have a good property manager and lots of time on your hands to chase up tradies and quotes.    Not sure i would do an interste reno that involed removing walls though :-)  

Profile photo of waydo77waydo77
    Participant
    @waydo77

hey fingerscrossed,

did the reno take the time you estimated beforehand? or would you allow maybe extra time seen as though its long distance?

I am only looking at the possibility of cosmetic renovation long distance..

sounds like you did it ok, did you have the property manager managing access to the property for the tradies? I have heard of some kind of lockbox on the house for people to inspect the house-heard on rick otton podcast, with a number combination on it or something? I was thinking this may work with tradies, and each trady returns the key once they have done there task?

cheers

Profile photo of lbluedentolbluedento
    Participant
    @lbluedento

I have been doing a 4 unit renovation long distance over the last year. Each time a tenant’s tenancy is due for renewal I decide to either inform the tenant of the proposed Reno and give them the option of returning at double the rent or ask them to leave. We have kept 2 and send 2 packing! The hardest part is not knowing what stage everything is at. These have been complete bathroom, floor coverings, air conditioners and painting renos. It has been made easier by having a good builder who have overseen everything for us. We actually visited the property this weekend for the first time ever! It is certainly a hard way to do a Reno, I have decided my next one needs to be closer.

Profile photo of markh3084markh3084
    Participant
    @markh3084

Hi Waydo77,

I recently (last Sunday morning) finished a cosmetic renovation interstate. We settled on the property on the Wednesday afternoon and I wanted the property available for potential tenants to view by the following Monday. The renovation included the installation of curtains and blinds throughout, pruning and gardening of the front and back, laying of new flooring in the kitchen and dining room, some painting, new cabinet and shower screen in the bathroom, repainting of laundry trough and a thorough cleaning, plus other little jobs.

We tacked it this way,

firstly worked out what we could do and what we couldn't do. By this I mean if you need electrical work done and you don't have an electrical license, then you will have to organise a tradie to attend. So in my case I needed a shower screen installed. It only took a few phone calls during the settlement period to get three quotes and arrange for a detailed measure. I then organised for the install to occur while we were there.

Then I organised a trailer, and all the tools and materials I would need. As per fingerscrossed's post above, we worked with Spotlight, Lincraft, Bunnings, ie companies that carry the same stock across Australia. My wife made the curtains prior to settlement, and we took them there after settlement.

Then, its a matter of setting your timeline. I took annual leave from my job and planned my travel times and how much time each job would take. We drove up on the day of settlement, took the keys and the very first thing I did was to remove the existing shower screen. I knew I would have to repair some tiles and regrout before the showerscreen guy arrived so time management is essential.

We then hung curtains, so my wife could make final alterations on site, I laid floating floors, the new cabinet, repaired hinges, lights and all the little things. The shower screen guy arrived on time and I was able to inspect his work before paying him.

I wanted to take this approach so that I could check his work because a lot of the time, I find some tradies can be less than satisfactory and if I am dealing with an unknown tradie interstate then I want to be there to check everything is fine. Please don't think I am knocking tradies as I have met and worked with some exceptional ones, they are the ones to stay in contact with!!

We came pretty close to getting everything done, but there were a couple of little jobs that didn't get finished but these were scheduled to be done after we left.

Here are some considerations:

consider where are you staying (in the property?). If not, how will you secure your trailer and tools?

Look at the weather forecast. Will it affect your time line? I can answer this, yes it will (paint drying, wet grass etc)

Research everything you can before you go. Ie, what are the local recycling centre hour of operations and costs, or are you going to use a rubbish skip?

How far is the local hardware store? We spent each night finalising a shopping list for the next morning of what we needed. I was at Bunnings each morning as they opened to minimise multiple trips.

You need to be prepared to roll your sleeves up and get stuck in. We pretty much worked 15 to 16 hours days for the three and a half days but the results were worth it. Take before and after photos too, as its very rewarding. The last thing we did was organise for the agent to have photography attend to update photos on the website, to maximise your efforts.

Our property has just been listed for rent and looks a lot better. It is very very feasible to do an interstate 'cosmetic' reno, just needs some though.

Best of luck!!!

Profile photo of waydo77waydo77
    Participant
    @waydo77

hey markh,

sounds like it all went to plan well, I did plan to only view the property, put it under contract, get access to property for measures and to list all that needs doing then maybe put the property under a property manager to manage access at the place for the tradies and basically do everything without travelling back and arrange for the property manager to send me pictures of the finished renovation.

I think planning is the big thing as you have said, I dont plan to do much myself as I can really only do exterior painting, removing cupboards or tiles etc., landscaping and fencing and cleaning up yard. In all I hope to only have a couple days off to inspect properties, put offers in. then while settlement is happening maybe a week to get things organised, small repairs etc.

cheers

Profile photo of couttscoutts
    Participant
    @coutts

hey waydo77

interesting concept and i am also concidering doing a reno long distance, although mayb something to consider is that there are some strange laws associated with queensland and renos, who can and cant manage trades ect. there is an active topic on it at the moment called something like “qld reno” in the main section of the forum.

Profile photo of EngeloRumoraEngeloRumora
    Participant
    @engelorumora

Hey guys,

I have done quite a few long distance renovations. 2 were done in the same town. The 1st reno I was on the ground project managing while the 2nd time around I organised everything via phone and only went to see the finished product. I establsihed a great relationship with the local trades and everything ran smoothely. If you can meet trustworthy people werever you purchase you will have no problems.

EngeloRumora | Ohio Cashflow
    http://ohiocashflow.com/
    Email Me | Phone Me

F@#$ THE REST WORK WITH OHIO CASHFLOW TO INVEST

Profile photo of DanielleDanielle
    Participant
    @dgirl

Hi waydo77,

I've done a Trans-Tasman reno and although it eventually got over the line, not being on site to do the small stuff and to project manage meant the whole thing did take longer than it should have.  It was also my first reno.  Now that I have some trusted contacts and some lessons under my belt,  the second one will probably seem easy in comparison.  

It was cosmetics only — installed carpets, refurbished the bathroom, had a front fence installed.  I also had the kitchen moved, so needed plumbing and electrical there. 

I did visit first however — a quick two day site trip.  I met up with my real estate property manager and a building inspector on site.  I took lots of photos and measurements.  I then spent two days driving around town talking to people — spoke to the carpet guys, who put me into contact with the builder he himself trusted and used.  The builder then organised a plumber and electrician.

If you plan to rent it out, get a property manager on board early — mine offered to go and inspect the property.  Get photos and/or video.  Get Skype or Facetime — have them call you when they are doing a walk through. 

I did consider hiring a man-on-the-ground to project manage just to act as go between and for the run-about jobs.  I didn't end up doing it due to budget constraints, but considering the rent that I missed out on because of the time off the market, it would have been an investment.  I'm still learning.  A local person to be a central point of call would have sped things up.

The key is quality contacts who will point you in the direction of reputable tradies.  You may be able to get recommendations from forums like this, but local knowledge is invaluable.  I'm not saying that it can't be done without ever visiting, but from my experience a quick site inspection to meet-and-greet and get some locals onside was a great investment; at least for the first reno. 

Cheers.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

If you are doing a reno that isn't exactly next door but is commutable such that you'll be doing a lot of the work yourself while also holding down a fulltime job, keep in mind you'll get tired and this will impact other parts of your life.  Be really careful not to speed when commuting to and from your reno.  You could quite easily lose enough points on your licence to be without a licence by the end of the reno!

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.