All Topics / General Property / Regional Vic

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of kat13kat13
    Participant
    @kat13

Wondering if anyone has invested in regional areas of VIC – namely Gippsland areas?

Would love to hear about your experiences

Profile photo of lbluedentolbluedento
    Participant
    @lbluedento

Have invested in regional Australia but only Wimmera not Gippsland

Profile photo of tvpropertytvproperty
    @tvproperty

Similar here………Central Goldfields area, not Gippsland yet.

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon

I have worked and travelled around South Gippsland quite frequently although I have never invested there. I know the market moved a bit after the recent Melbourne peak and understand that it has came back now. Meaning it might be a good time to buy. I would stay well clear of Wonthaggi, Inverloch, Phillip Island areas as prices and rents have been massively inflated due to the ingress of construction workers for the Desal plant. They will all be leaving within the next 12 months.

The area has a good feel to it and there are many beautiful little towns throughout and can be a bit of a weekender buyer from Melbourne market. Latrobe Valley may well be a safer investment area due to the population size, local industry, transport links with Melbourne and good affordability.

Profile photo of kat13kat13
    Participant
    @kat13

Funnily my dad has a holiday home in Coronet Bay (not far from Phillip Island) and reckons its the place to invest.

I have Latrobe Valley on my mind because I have heard something about it being an area of potential growth due to mining of some oils or metals there…can’t remember what it was.
    But then again – thinking about Moe, Morwell and immediate surrounding areas, maybe even Warragul.

Participant
    @bardon

That’s my point about weekend investors. Your dad has a holiday home down there and I am sure that he gets his personal ROI from it. But if you are looking at rental demand and yield etc, this is something different from what your dad may be considering. When you look at these markets in that light it may not be an investment that provides continual income that allows you to hold it long term.

As I said its a great area down there, but given the recent influx of construction workers and their families that the rental market has absorbed, this is a market that has enjoyed the exaggerated benefit of the massive influx of construction workers rental allowances. The fact that they are now withdrawing should say that one should wait to see what impact that massive withdrawal has on the relatively small local economy and the rental market in particular. I was involved with all of the additional workers there and ended up staying in the Silver Water resort which was fantastic but in the long term worked out to be a health hazard due to the exquisite tucker, red wine and views.

Latrobe Valley has coal and lots of it. Most of Melbourne’s power generation is done there and despite what any Greenie tells you, that will not stop. The brown coal that they have massive amounts of, is very much in the sights of India and the current Sate Govt has indicated a willingness to sell shed loads of this thermal coal to India. Morwell, Taralgon and to a lesser extent Moe should do well from this natural resource under their back yards.

Profile photo of Solomon10Solomon10
    Participant
    @solomon10

Have been keeping an eye on Drouin and Warragul for a while now, growth has been coming along in leaps and bounds over the last few years. With all the development of areas like Bunyip,Garfield, Longwarry and Pakenham etc it would appear that this will continue in the long term.

Participant
    @bardon

I caught a show on Your Money Your Call by Margaret Loams. She was talking about Warragul and said that it wasn’t a good investment and would miss the growth for what its worth.

Profile photo of NHGNHG
    @nhg

Yeah recently saw that one… Margaret mentioned there was too much land available/being released for prices to move upwards anytime in the foreseeable future.

Looking at rural victoria now for properties #3&4. Very eager to get a start there… any suggestions on where else to look? Find info on new infrastructure developments etc.?

Participant
    @bardon

I think the Latrobe Valley is a good un.

Profile photo of NHGNHG
    @nhg

I think i may have missed the boat for Latrobe Valley :(

Participant
    @bardon

Fair enough but do the numbers and compare it to other neighbouring areas before you say that. I said that I missed the boat in Emerald, Moranbah, Mt Isa, Pt Headland and Karrtah in 03 and I hadn’t. I still thought that I had though.

Profile photo of NHGNHG
    @nhg

Fair call… it has actually caught my eye, still doing due dilligence :p

thanks for the heads up bardon!

Participant
    @bardon

No worries I think if it stacks up, then it stacks up and the green grass is a distraction. Good luck.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.